AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need speakers for my living room TV. We already have a theater in a different part of the house and the wife doesn't want speakers all over the her living room. Basically I have a 50" plasma setup on a credenza style 9' cabinet. I was hoping to get away without a sub. Mostly she wants some sound reinforcement for the TV's speakers and general music listening. I auditioned the Polk LSi7's yesterday and was fairly impressed, though I thought the price tag ($800) was a little high for a Polk product. Some people suggested the Paradigm Atom's at less than half the price. Have any of tried either of these? I also liked the Focal Sib's, but she doesn't want a full 5.1 setup and prices for (2) Sib's and a sub are rediculious considering a full set price is $1K while 2 Sibs and a sub are about $800. Since music is more important to her than surround sound I want to stay away from microscopic mains to avoid the big hole in frequence response. Any suggestion? Any place for better prices on these items or any other gems to consider?

Jon

·
Registered
55 Posts
i heavily auditioned Paradigm atoms i found them to be very good sounding speaker but lacked low end even for a bookshelf. i went with mini monitors and couldnt be happier. the v5 was made to be used with a sub (freq resp only down to 80hz) however the v4 if you can still find them play quite low for a bookshelf ( mid 50's i believe) i would still recommend a small sub but i think you could get away with just the mini monitors.

peacins

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviman33 /forum/post/0

I can't seem to find the V5's on their website. Is there another name they would be listed under?

no they arent on the website. it was irritating when i was shopping around. well worth it though.

·
Registered
908 Posts
The Atoms are now part of the Monitor line. The Monitor has been completely reworked and is supposed to be much better due to new materials for their woofers and tweeter.

The Atom now retails for $299 per pair but usually goes for a bit less depending on the shop. I get a good discount as a loyal customer...ie one who spends their money there rather than elsewhere lol.

The new lineup is:

Atom, Mini-Monitor, Titan for their bookshelf speakers.

I have the Monitor 3 v.4, which are no longer made, and absolutely love them. I have the Atoms v.4 as my surrounds and they are great. In fact I also have the Titans v.4 and prefer the Atoms to the Titans for their clarity in the mid range. Many others also prefer the Atoms to the Titans though this may no longer be the case as the Titans have been completely rebuilt in the Monitor line.

Here is a link to a cool pdf of Paradigm and other companies that Audio Emporium carries.
http://www.audioemporium.com/2007catalog.pdf

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:

I need speakers for my living room TV. We already have a theater in a different part of the house and the wife doesn't want speakers all over the her living room. Basically I have a 50" plasma setup on a credenza style 9' cabinet. I was hoping to get away without a sub. Mostly she wants some sound reinforcement for the TV's speakers and general music listening. I auditioned the Polk LSi7's yesterday and was fairly impressed, though I thought the price tag ($800) was a little high for a Polk product. Some people suggested the Paradigm Atom's at less than half the price. Have any of tried either of these? I also liked the Focal Sib's, but she doesn't want a full 5.1 setup and prices for (2) Sib's and a sub are rediculious considering a full set price is $1K while 2 Sibs and a sub are about $800. Since music is more important to her than surround sound I want to stay away from microscopic mains to avoid the big hole in frequence response. Any suggestion? Any place for better prices on these items or any other gems to consider?

Jon

I purchased used (But you can't tell) Polk LSi7's for like $300.

www.e-bay.com

www.audiogon.com

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the Atom's as surround's now but when I upgrade the HT, the Atom's are going on my desk to replace a crappy set of JBL ARC30's I'm using now for work/gaming. I think they sound pretty good for the size, I just wish I could take the grille off for that "monitor" look. lol

·
Registered
908 Posts
The new Atoms have a removable grill. Matter of fact the Monitor line uses small magnets to hold the grill to the speaker. A big change from the usual post and hole method everyone uses. Not sure how I feel about the use of magnets as they do lose gauss...magnetism...over time abeit long time. I also wonder if the magnetic field generated by these magnets would have a negative affect on the speaker since it too uses magnets but I suppose not else they would not have used them. Probably such a small magnetic field that it does nothing negative to the speaker.

·
2,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters /forum/post/0

The Atoms are now part of the Monitor line. The Monitor has been completely reworked and is supposed to be much better due to new materials for their woofers and tweeter.

The Atom now retails for $299 per pair but usually goes for a bit less depending on the shop. I get a good discount as a loyal customer...ie one who spends their money there rather than elsewhere lol.

The new lineup is:

Atom, Mini-Monitor, Titan for their bookshelf speakers.

I have the Monitor 3 v.4, which are no longer made, and absolutely love them. I have the Atoms v.4 as my surrounds and they are great. In fact I also have the Titans v.4 and prefer the Atoms to the Titans for their clarity in the mid range. Many others also prefer the Atoms to the Titans though this may no longer be the case as the Titans have been completely rebuilt in the Monitor line.

Here is a link to a cool pdf of Paradigm and other companies that Audio Emporium carries.
http://www.audioemporium.com/2007catalog.pdf

I, like you really liked the Monitor 3 v.3/4's. I also preferred the Atoms over the Titans and the Mini v.3/4's. The Atoms project better in the midrange. True, they are a bit weak on bass BUT most bookshelfs are. However, as a former owner of the Studio 20 v.3's I can NOT recommend them enough. Everything you hear about how good they are is very TRUE. Have not heard the new Monitor v.5 line-up yet but can't wait till I get to. The same holds true for the new Studio v.4 line as well.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I finally got a chance to audition the Mini Monitor V5's and the new Atom's. I have to say I was very impressed. Very open and accurate midrange and detailed highs. The mini monitors were very close, if not equal to the Polk LSi7's. The Atoms were equally excellent, but with slightly less bass response. This decision is going to be very difficult. If I go with the Atoms, I'll add a sub. With the Mini Monitors, I'm really not sure I will need one considering our musical taste.

Jon

·
Registered
143 Posts
"I auditioned the Polk LSi7's yesterday and was fairly impressed, though I thought the price tag ($800) was a little high for a Polk product. Some people suggested the Paradigm Atom's at less than half the price. "

I am going to read between the lines and assume that in your opinion, Polk's brand name isn't highly valued. I read that line and immediately drew a comparison to Ford's $250,000 GT. "The GT outperforms many exotic cars in its class, but I wouldn't pay that kind of money for anything with a Ford logo on it."

I dropped $3,500 on 4x LSi15s and an LSiC and didn't bat an eye. Not to flame, but just an observation.

·
Banned
215 Posts

Quote:

How would the Atom or Mini Monitor V5 sound close to or on the wall? Or should I be looking for something like the Cinema 110 if my wife insist on wall placement?

Jon

If your wife wants wall placement, get the Cinema series. If not, get the V.5 mini monitors if you can get away with it. The Atom sounds good, but the Mini sound more refined IMO. I would not mount either of them close to a wall since they are both ported in the rear. The Cinema series is a sealed enclosure. Pull for the V.5 Atoms or Minis if you can because they sound better than the Cinema series. The Cinema series sounds slightly cheaper than the V.4 Monitor series due to the cheaper plastic cabinets. The Atoms sound great, they're not too big, and are just as cheap as a pair of LCR-110s so make a deal with your wife. Say if you don't atleast say ok on the Atoms, I'll just completely ignore what you want and get the Minis instead.
See how easy that works?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The Polk Audio LSi's are a bargain IMO. Especially, when you factor in their good looks and solid build quality.

I'm also a fan of Paradigm and they were once at the top of the heap for budget-minded buyers. They have since given way to other worthy contenders in that category IMO. But nonetheless I'm still a fan. As compared to the LSi's? It's my opinion they fall well short.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Jam /forum/post/0

"I auditioned the Polk LSi7's yesterday and was fairly impressed, though I thought the price tag ($800) was a little high for a Polk product. Some people suggested the Paradigm Atom's at less than half the price. "

I am going to read between the lines and assume that in your opinion, Polk's brand name isn't highly valued. I read that line and immediately drew a comparison to Ford's $250,000 GT. "The GT outperforms many exotic cars in its class, but I wouldn't pay that kind of money for anything with a Ford logo on it."

I dropped $3,500 on 4x LSi15s and an LSiC and didn't bat an eye. Not to flame, but just an observation.

After a lot of speaker auditioning lately I have come to recognize that Polk has come a long way and LSI Series is very impressive, as I previously mentioned. In fact, if it wasn't for my "2 kids in college budget", I would have bought the LSi7's weeks ago. Unfortunately I have to set some priorities.

Jon

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:

After a lot of speaker auditioning lately I have come to recognize that Polk has come a long way and LSI Series is very impressive, as I previously mentioned. In fact, if it wasn't for my "2 kids in college budget", I would have bought the LSi7's weeks ago. Unfortunately I have to set some priorities.

Jon

That's why I mentioned above to look at pre/owned LSi's.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega78 /forum/post/0

If your wife wants wall placement, get the Cinema series. If not, get the V.5 mini monitors if you can get away with it. The Atom sounds good, but the Mini sound more refined IMO. I would not mount either of them close to a wall since they are both ported in the rear. The Cinema series is a sealed enclosure. Pull for the V.5 Atoms or Minis if you can because they sound better than the Cinema series. The Cinema series sounds slightly cheaper than the V.4 Monitor series due to the cheaper plastic cabinets. The Atoms sound great, they're not too big, and are just as cheap as a pair of LCR-110s so make a deal with your wife. Say if you don't atleast say ok on the Atoms, I'll just completely ignore what you want and get the Minis instead.
See how easy that works?

She heard the cinema 110's and agreed that they just didn't sound near as good as either the Atoms or Mini Monitors. Also, she no longer interested in wall mounting so I'm home free. If I go with the Mini Monitors I don't think I'll have enough for a sub. If I go with the Atoms, I probably pick up a HSU STF1 or STF2.

Jon

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.