AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay okay... last and final decision for my home theater (until I change my mind again). I went to Sound Advice one more time today to discuss my budget issues and as a suggestion, the guy recommended that I switch to the bookshelf LSi9's on stands instead of floor standing LSi15's since I was getting a powered sub anyway.

What are your thoughts on this? Essentially, the mids and highs are identical on these two speakers... the lows are fairly impressive on the smaller 9's as well. A powered sub can definitely make up the difference.

What are the down sides to this, if any?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Probably a different soundstage as the 15s will push more air. Many LSi fans go with the 9.sub solution and love it. Either way I envy you.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple
Probably a different soundstage as the 15s will push more air. Many LSi fans go with the 9.sub solution and love it. Either way I envy you.
Thanks for the envy. ;) I will envy myself until I actually get everything ordered and hooked up! Thank god for their 15 months, no interest.

Anyway, what do you mean by a "different soundstage"?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Floorstanders tend to broaden and somethimes deepen the soundstage. I've heard the 15s but not the 9s and I maybe talking out my ass. Both are very nice speakers and many prefer the book/sub combo over the big boys.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I had a chance to hear them back to back at the Stereophile Show in San Francisco about 2 years ago. I was really surprised that I strongly preferred the 9s to the 15s. Sure the 15s went deeper but they seemed to have a lower midrange/upper bass emphasis that simply didn't sound as natural as the 9s did. It was like the 9s were designed to sound natural while the goal of the 15s was to impress. The midrange on the 9s sounded more articulate to me in spite of having the same drivers but that could just be something in the voicing of the 2 speakers.

My vote would be for the 9s with a subwoofer for the lower registers that neither speaker can do without assistance. For HT use even the 15s will need the sub so it's not like you are choosing the 9s + sub vs the 15s without.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Brinkman
I was really surprised that I strongly preferred the 9s to the 15s. [...] My vote would be for the 9s with a subwoofer for the lower registers that neither speaker can do without assistance. For HT use even the 15s will need the sub so it's not like you are choosing the 9s + sub vs the 15s without.
Agreed! I had them prepare a new quote for me today for the 9's with the powered sub. You're right... I was going to get the powered sub anyway, so I might as well save several hundred dollars and go with the 9's. I'll set the sub's frequency ceiling to the speakers' floor and hopefully I'll have a nice seamless sound.

Any recommendations on what stands to use to hold the 9's? SA recommended a pair for under $100 but I'm concerned that a forceful nudge could send my speakers toppling.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My father has the lsi system with the 15s and the 9s as surrounds for the price difference the 15s dont make that much of a difference. They have a midbass in them that puts out good lows.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster lobster
I'd say go with the Lsi9's and get a quality stand for them.

Sound Anchor makes some great stands.

And don't skimp on the sub! ;)
Sound Anchor's don't do much for me as far as aesthetics go ;) These are the ones that Sound Advice is recommending:
http://www.tweeter.com/sm-tivoli-pom...i-1180908.html

Any comments on those?

The sub they have paired with the Polk speakers is the PSW505 ( http://www.crutchfield.com/S-y8zbg4V...sp?i=107PSW505 ). Good? Can I do better for the money with an SVS or HSU?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Sorry , but I have to disagree....after extensive comparisons both ways with multiple xover settings (5 db increments and adjusting slopes) both at home and work, the 15's won out...I really wanted the 9's to win (so did my wife), but I got more articulation and more seemless deep soundstage with the 15's at 55 and 60 hz (where they seemed best) vs the 9's at 75/80hz.....Tried multiple sub and speaker locations.....for informational purposes this room is 13 x 17.5 and I do listen at moderate to high levels.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thericky
The sub they have paired with the Polk speakers is the PSW505 ( http://www.crutchfield.com/S-y8zbg4V...sp?i=107PSW505 ). Good? Can I do better for the money with an SVS or HSU?
I've never a Polk sub, but the 505 is the best of the current models. That being said, most folks over at Club Polk would recommend the SVS. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Having listened to both, I'd go with the 9s. the 15's bass seemed a bit muddy to me. not to mention they need a lot of power .

you're far better off [IMHO] going with a lsi 9+LSiC+ LSi7 + an SVS PC ultra or the newly announced rocket UFW 12.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
The stands fropm Tweeter look to be priced at about 2X what they should be. Look at Audio Advisor to see the same for about half price or much better for around $200.

Rather than spend the $1k for the Rocket UFW12, wait for a great deal on the UFW10s that will shortly become almost free, or at least the price of the Polk sub that AV is trying to foist on you. Since there are legions of UFW10 owners that have pre-ordered the UFW12s many will be selling the 10s or trading them in at AV123. The 10" sub with their R-DES equalization system will give you about as good as you really need.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Any recommendations on what stands to use to hold the 9's? SA recommended a pair for under $100 but I'm concerned that a forceful nudge could send my speakers toppling.
This site was recommended to me about a year ago: Racks and Stands

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje
This site was recommended to me about a year ago: Racks and Stands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Brinkman
Look at Audio Advisor to see the same for about half price or much better for around $200.
Any particular stands at either of these places? I'm not sure what to look for in a stand. I also need some kind of stand or shelf for the LSiC for the front. It's too big for a wall mount so I need somewhere to put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F355
you're far better off [IMHO] going with a lsi 9+LSiC+ LSi7 + an SVS PC ultra or the newly announced rocket UFW 12.
PC Ultra appears to be twice what I'd like to spend... the UFW 10 is tempting. Does it come in black? ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Sm
Sorry , but I have to disagree....after extensive comparisons both ways with multiple xover settings (5 db increments and adjusting slopes) both at home and work, the 15's won out
That's what the Sound Advice 30-day in-home trial is for ;) They'll swap em out at no charge if I'm not satisfied. I'll start with the 9's and switch to the 15's later if necessary. I just need to make sure I get a good sub from the beginning if I buy that elsewhere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had my 9's for about a year now and I love them. I built my own stands. With speaker attached, the whole enchalda weighs in @ 96 pounds! See pic.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Sorry , but I have to disagree....after extensive comparisons both ways with multiple xover settings (5 db increments and adjusting slopes) both at home and work, the 15's won out...I really wanted the 9's to win (so did my wife), but I got more articulation and more seemless deep soundstage with the 15's at 55 and 60 hz (where they seemed best) vs the 9's at 75/80hz.....Tried multiple sub and speaker locations.....for informational purposes this room is 13 x 17.5 and I do listen at moderate to high levels.
Amendment:

With extensive play with the SMS-1 from Velodyne, I found the differance to be too negligable to fight the visual.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.