AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am selling two pairs of speakers - the Polk LSiM 705s and Magnepan 2.7 for $2,500 (very firm, rock firm!). The Polks are $3,000 MSRP, the Maggies are $1,995 MSRP. The Polks have all boxes and accessories, the Maggies dont. The Polks are 6 months old and are 9 out of 10 (9 only for not being new, no scratches however small or sonic problems). The Maggies work perfectly, no delamination, but have some small dings in the back - cant see them without a magnifying glass.

This is my actual set up in this video.

Will not sell the two pairs separately because one pair needs the other. More on that below. I want to sell them to buy a single pair of some other hybrid speakers that will create soundstage and image as huge as these create. I will not ship them , so local pick up in Alpharetta, GA only (zip 3005). Audition by invitation only for those who are serious buyers. Once again - two pairs together, no shipment.

My situation is this. I love these two pairs. They run in a parallel setup. Meaning both pairs running the same stereo signal but powered by different power amplifiers. Because the Polks and the Maggies are fundamentally different (cones vs planars) they create ONE very consistently and uniquely life-like image. In my humble opinion, Maggies are missing the slam factor. They dont rock. True, they produce extremely clean and quick transients—such as those of plucked acoustic guitar strings or percussion instruments. The sound seems to start and stop suddenly, just as one hears from live instruments. Ribbons sound vivid and immediate without being etched or excessively bright. In addition, the sound has an openness, clarity, and transparency often unmatched by dynamic drivers. (Incidentally, these qualities are shared by expensive ribbon microphones.) Finally, the ribbon’s dipolar nature produces a huge sense of space, air, and soundstage depth (provided this spatial information was captured in the recording). Nevertheless, put on Pink Floyd's "In the Flesh" and you can play it very loud , but you will not feel the punch in the chest. In addition, some of the instruments seem to be muted in different recordings (even the same instruments; for example a piano in a Chopin CD sounds delightful, but in WIll Duta's Parergon it is five miles away from the recording microphone). That is not the case with Polks.
The Polks (LSiM 705s) are equally great at some things, but not others. They midrange is simply addicting. I actually dreamed of their midrange - go ahead and laugh, but that is true!. It is so articulate, clear and pronounced that sometimes I think it isnt that pronounced in real life (during recording). The LSiM 705s have a lot to offer: excellent clarity, outstanding power handling, true full audio range reproduction.
But they have their own shortcomings, just like the Maggies do. First off this box sound coloration and small imaging. They sound fine until you've experienced Maggies. Then you will find the 705's sound small , like all vocals are being performed by Chip & Dale. I am reducing to the absurd here, but you get the point. On the other hand, if you have never heard planar speakers, you may never even be a ware of this shortcoming.
So, what Maggies offer, the Polks dont. What the Polks are good at, the Maggies cant play because of their design (this slam factor, for example, I felt it at reference level EVEN with the bookshelf 703s!). This makes them perfect to play together without stepping on each other's toes and at the same time preserving their own strengths.
At low volume Maggies are quiet and just humming along, almost imperceptibly making the sound bigger. But above -30 they open up and start singing along with the 705s. They add air and space to the Polk's sound, making instruments and vocals more palpable, alive, present.

I know I diminish my chances of selling them by insisting on letting them go only as a pair of pairs. But I am not anxious to sell . I doubt the hybrid pair I am getting will sound better than these 4 speakers. It is sound to be amazed by and a sight to behold, how impressive they look.

PM if you have questions. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Vlad, I saw this post on Craigslist and I am very interested in buying the LSIM705s. I sent you a few emails through craigslist but havent heard back from you.

Could you please email me back or PM me here.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts