AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

First time poster looking for some advice, hopefully, I'm doing this right :-].

So, I've been looking to upgrade my speakers for some time now and have been looking at the Sonus Faber Venere 2.5. However, I have also been looking at the Polk LSiM707 knowing that once in a while they do a Friends and Family discount, like they are right now. So, I'm trying to figure out which set of floorstanders I should get: the consumer-friendly / entry speakers from a highly-regarded audiophile company (the Venere 2.5 from Sonus Faber) or the flagship, HiFi contender from a consumer-friendly company (the LSiM707 from Polk)? (Hopefully I am not offending too many people who those broad classifications).

On pure retail price, I guess the Polks would be "better", and thus the deal would be better, but I'm not sure that price is always the best factor (maybe it is in this case?). On weight, the Polk also wins, but again, I'm not sure if that's really a relevant data point.

Aesthetically, they're both good-looking / unique enough to place in my apartment. But, acoustically, I'm not sure how I can compare them (other than reading reviews, which I can't really ascertain a good sense from). I know one of the things I should do is listen to both and A/B them (ideally in my own home), but I'm not sure if I can do this. I did listen to the Veneres at a BestBuy a few months ago. It was good, but the salesman had me listen to the Sonus Faber Olympicas through some McIntosh stuff as well so that's kind of all I remember.

As for my setup, it's not very grand, but I do feel like upgrading speakers is the first thing I want to do. I'm currently running an HTPC with a dedicated sound card, the Auzentech Meridian 2G, direct analog input to a Yamaha AVR HTR-6050. My current speakers came with AVR as part of a mid-range ($699 retail) HTIB. I would be using this setup for music, movies and gaming.

Is the Sonus Faber going to be better just because they are in the business of HiFi audio? Or are the Polks really a contender and should be evaluated at the $4k level (and thus trumps the Veneres)?

So, anyone with similar shopping experiences or owners that want to comment? Any feedback is appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The truth of the matter is that reviews are subjective, and the only way to decide is to get both and compare them - in your room. I've owned many speakers and found my opinions of them occasionally match a review I've read, but usually they DON'T. Even listening to both side by side is better than reading reviews. Listening to each one, but in different rooms or different dealers, is not going to be a fair comparison because the room and placement makes a big difference on their sound, but it's better than nothing.

Measurements can tell you a lot about a speaker's sound, but only if you understand what the measurements mean. And no set of measurements out there is "complete" enough to tell you the full story, so even measurements aren't the final word.

So, to get to the point, they're probably both good speakers. The talk about Polk's high end vs Sonus Faber's more entry level doesn't really tell you much of anything. So either compare them side-by-side, or listen to each separately and pick the one you like in terms of sound, looks, and price.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.