AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 20 years one of my Polk M3 surrounds is fried. I dont see anything in the price range on there site. Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement? Other speakers are Polk RT16 for mains, csi a4 for my center.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I'm a fan of older Polks, but their newer speakers don't really compare well to them in materials, construction or sound.

Acoustic matching isn't as critical for the surrounds as for the front speakers, so you could probably get by with another brand for a replacement set if Polk doesn't currently have anything in your price range.

You may even be able to find a used M3II or two to replace the failed one. A quick search found a recent auction on Audiogon which ended with no bids: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc....ull&1262400932 The seller may still have them available.

Alternately, this also sounds like a good excuse to indulge in a full set of brand new speakers.
Speakers make far more of a difference in sound quality than any of the electronics. From your other post on receivers, it sounds like you're looking to make some improvements at low volumes. Good speakers can probably help that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts