AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both have dual 5.25 inch woofers and a dome tweeter. The M50 are a tower and are front ported. based on that, what differences in sound should you expect, if any?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk
Both have dual 5.25 inch woofers and a dome tweeter. The M50 are a tower and are front ported. based on that, what differences in sound should you expect, if any?
I have never heard the M50's, but I would suspect the 50's will dig a bit deeper that the 40's.

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
Both use same drivers, the M50 is just in a floorstanding cabinet which means you should get more bass.

Considering you can get the M50's on sale for $79ea that's quite a deal. M40's come on sale for $110-120/pr but then you have to buy speaker stands. Might as well get the M50's.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the architecture of the cabinet alone will allow for more bass? How much difference does the port make?

More than likely, I will go with the Polk M70s, but just was struck by the fact that the hardware in the two speakers was almost identical...

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
Front port means you'll be able to put speaker closer to the wall. Rear ported speakers require a little more space away from a wall so you don't get added boominess. You can always plug the port to cut down on bass too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.