AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So i just purchased the pioneer set up, the FS51-SPC21 and the BS41 as my surrounds. All hooked up to the pioneer 1020k. So far i love them, i haven't time to use the MCACC setup, but from what i have toyed with i like them a lot. For the money i think they are good upgrade for me. Today though i noticed SlickDeals has the polk set up. I read a little bit about the polk, and from the little i have read they have got some pretty decent reviews. Some of the reviews for the pioneers have been a little harsh, but they are still a good buy which i agree. But now the polks seem to be a little cheaper and seem to better sound? What do you guys think? And whats your experience with either or both? Should i return the pioneers for the polks?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been in that same boat for a couple of weeks. First started looking at the Pioneers because of the price, then noticed a good deal on Polks at Newegg. But then I thought if I was gonna pay more for Polks why not see what the Polks compared against. So now I'm looking at the Infinity Primus on Crutchfield. Second guessing is a pain.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Use the MCACC setup and add a good sub, IMO. I'm using the BS-41s as surrounds in a 5.0 setup, and the MCACC (I have the 1120) made the Pioneers match my RC-50s really well. I think the only weakness of the Pioneers is they need a good amount of power to bring out the low end and the detail-- MCACC handled that for me. You can go listen to the Polks at Bbuy, I think they have the BBuy equivalent of the 70s out on the floor.

I went more expensive than I planned going with the Energy, but am still interested iin hearing how the FS-51s would sound in my setup.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I have the M70/CS2 combo. When the Pioneers first came out, I went to test them out for comparison... And to tell you the truth, while the Pio's sounded OK, they didn't even come close to matching the performance of my Polk setup -- especially at loud volumes.

I think the Pio's would be great in a tiny apartment or bedroom, but they can't touch that Polk combo for moderate to large-sized rooms, or at loud volumes in general.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19587626

I have the M70/CS2 combo. When the Pioneers first came out, I went to test them out for comparison... And to tell you the truth, while the Pio's sounded OK, they didn't even come close to matching the performance of my Polk setup -- especially at loud volumes.

I think the Pio's would be great in a tiny apartment or bedroom, but they can't touch that Polk combo for moderate to large-sized rooms, or at loud volumes in general.

Just my 2 cents...

IMO, the sales floor at BBuy doesn't do them justice. The Polks are definitely louder, but when you put enough current through the Pioneers, details comes out. And the bass, while not powerful, is detailed. BBuy has them displayed with Polks and Klipsch, both of which play much louder and brighter, way more suited to an open space than the Pios. But I haven't heard the M70s, only the Polks on the floor at BBuy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraw3 /forum/post/19587043

I've been in that same boat for a couple of weeks. First started looking at the Pioneers because of the price, then noticed a good deal on Polks at Newegg. But then I thought if I was gonna pay more for Polks why not see what the Polks compared against. So now I'm looking at the Infinity Primus on Crutchfield. Second guessing is a pain.

haha yah i know what you mean man. You kinda keep going up, saying well, this is compared to this, lets go one step up, then you say its not that bad, lets go one more step up, haha its like an addiction.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19587626

Just my 2 cents...

How loud are you going or meaning when you say loud, like crank them up past normal listening levels? Are you using them more for movies/games/music?

Right now the house we are renting in has a weird living room size. Its a 11x25. So the pio's def sound good i think for the space i have. I don't know how long i plan on staying here or where the next step in size of house will be. What do you consider to be a larger room where i would be able to tell the difference?
This is the current set up of my room. What are you using for your receiver

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton /forum/post/19587302

Use the MCACC setup and add a good sub, IMO. I'm using the BS-41s as surrounds in a 5.0 setup, and the MCACC (I have the 1120) made the Pioneers match my RC-50s really well. I think the only weakness of the Pioneers is they need a good amount of power to bring out the low end and the detail-- MCACC handled that for me. You can go listen to the Polks at Bbuy, I think they have the BBuy equivalent of the 70s out on the floor.

I went more expensive than I planned going with the Energy, but am still interested iin hearing how the FS-51s would sound in my setup.

Well im currently thinking about returning my 1020 to get the 1120, i have seen a deal on new egg for it for like $420. not to much more then what i payed for my 1020. But so far the 1020 seems to power the 51s really well, and they sound clean but has enough bass and the mids sound good too. But again, i need to do the MCACC set up first. I should be receiving my 41s soon

What do you think of these 3 receiver set ups? afrogt said he recommend these over the 1020 and they have preouts in them. plus a little cheaper.

Onkyo 707
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Marantz 5004
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Yamaha 1065
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=YAMRXV1065BL

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton /forum/post/0

IMO, the sales floor at BBuy doesn't do them justice. The Polks are definitely louder, but when you put enough current through the Pioneers, details comes out. And the bass, while not powerful, is detailed. BBuy has them displayed with Polks and Klipsch, both of which play much louder and brighter, way more suited to an open space than the Pios. But I haven't heard the M70s, only the Polks on the floor at BBuy.

I had the manager bring them into the Magnolia room and shut the doors for testing.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberGamer /forum/post/0

How loud are you going or meaning when you say loud, like crank them up past normal listening levels? Are you using them more for movies/games/music?

Right now the house we are renting in has a weird living room size. Its a 11x25. So the pio's def sound good i think for the space i have. I don't know how long i plan on staying here or where the next step in size of house will be. What do you consider to be a larger room where i would be able to tell the difference? This is the current set up of my room. What are you using for your receiver

I consider your room to be large. My testing was done in a smaller space at Magnolia (roughly 16x13?). I run a Pioneer 1120 at home, and I tested the Pioneer speakers with a vsx32 at Magnolia.

Don't get me wrong, the Pio speakers had good clarity and voice at moderate volume, but they just didn't impress me as much as my current Polk setup at volumes I would normally use for watching movies and listening to music in my own 17x13 space.

I think that the Pio's compare more directly to the Polk M60's, rather than the additional/larger woofers in the M70's.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse
I had the manager bring them into the Magnolia room and shut the doors for testing.
Ah, nice.

I ran the BS-41s as fronts for a couple of days and liked them, but I'm in a smallish (12x12, open to a kitchen/dining area on one end) room. The bass feels..airy if that's the right word, vs. boomy in other speakers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So automaton, palehorse, I went aheaded and ordered the polks. I still have the pioneers, gonna hold on to them so I can test out both of them. I forgot to mention in m first post that I already have a sub in this set up. It's my JBL sub, 10" 150 watt from a jbl hometheater satellite set up. It's a great sub, may upgrade later on though. Any ways, I'm really curious how these polks will sound to the pioneers. Will the polks be boomier than the pios's? Or just as clear?

I guess what I need to do is run a series of tests to check out the quality of both. Do you guys or anyone else have a good sugestion or how you test out your system?

·
Registered
229 Posts
First I would like to thank Joe (Ubergamer) for letting me check out his polks then letting me steal his pioneers last night to try them at my house. This was a BIG help!

OK, I tried both the Polk M70 and the Pioneer FS51.

Both speakers were not broking in yet but I got a good idea of the characteristics for each. Remember this is only MY opinion after spending 4 hours at my friends house auditioning the Polk M70s and the Pioneer FS51s then taking the Pioneers home with me where I stayed up till 4am auditioning them.

Let me just come right out and say it straight up. I personally feel that the pioneers are a much better sounding speaker then the Polk M70s.... by far. I found the pioneers much more balanced.

The Pioneers do take a little more volume to get them to sing but it is not an issue for a decent receiver to compensate for.

It is amazing how the little Energy Take 5's hold up to both the Pioneers and the Polks; for this very reason I feel I have to try the RC-30s or RC-50s. If I can get close the warmth of the pioneers with better low bass and even slightly better highs, I will be set!

The Polks only really did it for me in movies and games but even then it could have used more mid and low bass. The sound effects do have a great snap to them that I enjoyed but not much else. I am pretty sure with some speaker placement adjustments that we can get better sound out of these speakers but the pioneers in the same placement sounds great with less effort.

Instead of writing a book I will just answer any question any member might have about the 3 speakers listed below. If I had to pick between the Polks M70 and the Pioneer FS51 I would get the Pios hands down. It was no contest for me but this is me; other people might find the polks volume and highs appealing.

I still want to try the RC-30s or RC-50s just because it is such a great speaker for the price. I will order them tomorrow and see how they compare to the FS51s. I will say that if these Energy speakers were not on sell I would get the pios without thinking twice and be happy with them.

Instead of writing a book I will just answer any question any member might have about the 3 speakers listed below. If I had to pick between the Polks M70 and the Pioneer FS51 I would get the Pios hands down. It was no contest for me.

Hopefully this will help people in the same boat as me and my friend Joe.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Tested with a Pioneer VSX-1120 Receiver and a BIC F-12 Sub.

Polk Pros:

o Plays Loud

o Great commanding highs for movies and games.

Polk Cons:

o Lacking mid range.

o Hollow low end.

o Made music sound compressed harsh and digital.

o Center channel sounded congested. (For a lack of a better word to describe it)

o Sound stage was lacking.

o Audio was too directional; I felt that the audio was coming out of speakers instead of the speakers creating a full cohesive sound stage.

Pioneer Pros:

o Great midrange

o Good low base

o VERY musical, sounds great with every song we threw at it.

o Warm but balanced

o Movies sound awesome especially when there is a great score. It really made the sound tracks sing.

o Great sound stage. I felt like I can place the drummer the guitarist and the singer in the 3d sound stage without them sounding like there are coming out of a speaker.

Pioneer Cons:

o Highs might sound slightly laid back after listening to the Polks.

o Really needs to be played loud to makes these speakers come to life. Does not sound that great at mid to low levels.

Energy Take 5 Classic Pros:

o Great Highs for Music Movies and Games.

o Great low end for music. (Energy Sub)

o Decent low end for moves (Energy Sub)

o Good low end for music. (BIC F-12)

o Great low end for Movies. (BIC F-12)

Energy Take 5 Classic Cons:

o Lacking mid range with a X-over of 150

o Potentially missing 20hz since the closes x-over on my receiver is 100hz and Energy recommends 120hz. (This is one of the biggest reasons that I want to upgrade.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Crippler, thanks for the detailed review, but I have a question. Under "Pioneer Pros", you wrote "very musical" and "warm and balanced", but under "Pioneer Cons", you wrote "made music sound compressed, harsh, and digital". Was that an editing error?

One other question: these Pioneer mini-towers are pretty short, did you notice any ill effect by not having the tweeters at ear level? I'd rather not put them on stands if it can be avoided.

Thanks.

·
Registered
229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroscanner /forum/post/19962194

Crippler, thanks for the detailed review, but I have a question. Under "Pioneer Pros", you wrote "very musical" and "warm and balanced", but under "Pioneer Cons", you wrote "made music sound compressed, harsh, and digital". Was that an editing error?

One other question: these Pioneer mini-towers are pretty short, did you notice any ill effect by not having the tweeters at ear level? I'd rather not put them on stands if it can be avoided.

Thanks.

Yep that was a editing error. That bullet point was left over from the polk section.

After spending more time with the pioneers I came to the conclusion that I would not be able to live with them. It is not that they play lower than other speakers it's just that they don't sound great until you crank them up.

The problem with cranking them up is that my wife does not like to listen to movies or music loud so at her comfortable listing levels they pios do not sound good at all. (usally -17 but -13 with the pios)

There is not only a decibel shift that occurs when raising the volume, there is also a quality shift. The sound stage opens up, instruments are more separate, etc but using a pio 1120k you had to be at -4 to get this quality.

I am using Energy RC-50s now and they sound great. The low end is not the best but my subwoofer takes care of the low base anyway. If I could do it all over again I would get the Energy RC-LCR and a RC-10s all around.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberGamer  /t/1295190/polk-m70sii-cs2-vs-pioneer-fs51-spc21#post_19588159

haha yah i know what you mean man. You kinda keep going up, saying well, this is compared to this, lets go one step up, then you say its not that bad, lets go one more step up, haha its like an addiction.

This has been what I have been doing for the past couple weeks. Except I add two steps of 1. "deciding I will be fine with spending less" and 2. Repeat (of going one setup up).

I am currently trying to decide between the FS52 vs. Cambridge S30s vs. Primius 163/363.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have Polk Monitor 50s, and a Polk CS2.

Would I be upgrading or downgrading if I go with the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Speaker system, and the SP-C22 center?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts