AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I was in Best Buy looking at the OmniSat Nano for my first HD Surround system and the salesman really pushed the idea of getting floorstanding speakers to start out. I'm now torn between these three choices, MartinLogan Motion 12 Floorstanding Speakers, Definitive Technology BP-8060ST (Ea) Bipolar Tower with Built-In Powered Subwoofers or Polk Audio Monitor 70 3-Way Floorstanding Speakers? Which floorstanding speakers are best for this receiver? Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver.

It's a small room, 10-12 view distance and wide about 18? Cathedral cieling, open wall area to the kitchen. The 50" Kuro sits in an enormous cherry entertainment center with loads of media storage.

Most watching Blu Rays and HD Satellite TV, some music. I like the sound of Martin Logans, I like the price of the Polk but the Def Tech's might still be the best it's just that purchasing might be limited to one speaker every six months. Price is a big big factor.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger /forum/post/20843101

OK, so I was in Best Buy looking at the OmniSat Nano for my first HD Surround system and the salesman really pushed the idea of getting floorstanding speakers to start out. I'm now torn between these three choices, MartinLogan Motion 12 Floorstanding Speakers, Definitive Technology BP-8060ST (Ea) Bipolar Tower with Built-In Powered Subwoofers or Polk Audio Monitor 70 3-Way Floorstanding Speakers? Which floorstanding speakers are best for this receiver? Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver.

It's a small room, 10-12 view distance and wide about 18? Cathedral cieling, open wall area to the kitchen. The 50" Kuro sits in an enormous cherry entertainment center with loads of media storage.

Most watching Blu Rays and HD Satellite TV, some music. I like the sound of Martin Logans, I like the price of the Polk but the Def Tech's might still be the best it's just that purchasing might be limited to one speaker every six months. Price is a big big factor.

Can't speak for the other speakers but I own the deftech 8060-St towers and there great for movies and music....they are really easy too drive them because they are POWERED towers so they won't burden your receiver a whole lot.I think they are very worth it but yes at 1000 a piece it does slap the wallet...:)

·
Registered
7,245 Posts

·
Registered
12,096 Posts
Have you considered the Deftech Mythos 1's? Very nice sounding speakers and great for home theater.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-T...-/190548316817

Under $900 for the pair. They are refurbished but the seller is the parent company of Deftech. Many of us have bought from him and all the items I have purchased were in brand new condition and worked perfectly. Well worth it to get about 50% off MSRP.

If you want a warranty you can get a Square Trade warranty.

The seller has a ton of other Deftech speakers as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I demo'd the ML 12's and Def Tech 8060s as well. It's hard to compare the 2 because the Def Tech's have subs built-in, so it sounds deceivingly better.

At almost half the MSRP price, I was really happy with the ML 12s. Listening at the same volume set on the Pioneer VSX-50 receiver, the Def Techs sounded a lot louder. Not sure what ohm is rated on that receiver, but that could explain why...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.