AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am about to rebuild my small budget 5.1 system soon. I only have about $550 total to spend on 5.0 speakers and receiver. 

I have pretty much decided on the Yamaha rx-v375 for a receiver. What I am having trouble with is deciding on speakers. Right now for just about the same exact $$ i can either do 4x pioneer sp-bs41 and a sp-c21 or i can do 4x polk monitor 30 and CS1 center channel. I know the difference could be very subjective, but is there any non-subjective reasons to go with either set up.

thanks

P.S. - I currently own a Pioneer SW-8 subwoofer.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwright78  /t/1521227/polk-monitor-30s-vs-pioneer-sp-bs41/0_100#post_24445872

I am about to rebuild my small budget 5.1 system soon. I only have about $550 total to spend on 5.0 speakers and receiver. 

I have pretty much decided on the Yamaha rx-v375 for a receiver. What I am having trouble with is deciding on speakers. Right now for just about the same exact $$ i can either do 4x pioneer sp-bs41 and a sp-c21 or i can do 4x polk monitor 30 and CS1 center channel. I know the difference could be very subjective, but is there any non-subjective reasons to go with either set up.

thanks

P.S. - I currently own a Pioneer SW-8 subwoofer.

subjective...very subjective. If you can hit up your local BB or other big box store and see if you can hear either set of speakers (the polks would be the TSi100's in BB - same speaker as the Monitor 30, just a prettier cabinet).

I listened to both before purchasing and decided I like the polks better. Lot of guys dig their pioneers though. Personally I feel either way you will have a good budget set up. Also consider the infinity primus series, another affordable good sounding speaker line.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Given that these are the first generation Pioneer's I perfer the the Polk Monitor 30's over them.

Polk Ebay store will have you getting 2 pairs of the Monitor 30's and CS1 center for $290 shipped.

Second generation Pioneers sound better than the first generation, but my ears prefer the Polks still

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Yep. Some people like the Polks better, others the Pioneers. You can't go wrong with either.

Reactions: crazyrob425

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Well, I ended up going with the polks. I got a pair of monitor 40s and a cs1 center. I opted to use a pair of hk 16s for my surround speakers that I already had, so that I could spend more on my receiver. Went with a Denon AVR-e300. Got the speakers in today, and even on my older receiver, unadjusted, they still sound great to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.