AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found this deal on logicbuy.com, as newegg.com has been selling lots of polk stuff rather cheap lately. i'm currently running a set of klipche pro media 5.1 computer speakers, that are probably half blown, so i'm sure this is a definite upgrade. however for the price could i do any better? i have a very small room so i've been looking for a set of good (or good enough) bookshelf speakers.

http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/polk-a...ker/24216.aspx

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i guess my post was geared towards is this a good deal, at 64% off the deal is obviously there..

but how good are these monitors? i know they probably wouldn't get a 5/10 on the scale of speaker awesomeness but i'm also not a multi millionaire, average to good quality maybe?

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uschxc /forum/post/19533955

i found this deal on logicbuy.com, as newegg.com has been selling lots of polk stuff rather cheap lately. i'm currently running a set of klipche pro media 5.1 computer speakers, that are probably half blown, so i'm sure this is a definite upgrade. however for the price could i do any better? i have a very small room so i've been looking for a set of good (or good enough) bookshelf speakers.

just a fyi if you get only two bookshelves to replace you blown klipsch its going to sound way off completely different sound than polk if you could get a center to go along with the bookshelves that would be ideal ..btw you can get some t15 polk bookshelves for 49 a pair at best buy for black friday deals good thru the 27th

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
roger that DCM. I'm going to replace the center soon after this but since I stumbled upon this very short life'd deal i wanted to get opinions on the speakers themselves.

this is probably stupid to say, but more expensive polk's are probably better than the less expensive polks, correct? or are t15 better than these and just more ridiculously discounted? i haven't paid attention to audio at all lately as i haven't been in the market (other toys have higher priority) but can't pass up a slick deal.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uschxc /forum/post/19534133

roger that DCM. I'm going to replace the center soon after this but since I stumbled upon this very short life'd deal i wanted to get opinions on the speakers themselves.

this is probably stupid to say, but more expensive polk's are probably better than the less expensive polks, correct? or are t15 better than these and just more ridiculously discounted? i haven't paid attention to audio at all lately as i haven't been in the market (other toys have higher priority) but can't pass up a slick deal.

oh cool just wanted to give you a heads up and if your planning on replacing the center no reason not to get the bookshelves now esp since you can get good deals now . The monitor 40's are better speakers than the T15's correct but a more expensive speaker is not always better .

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
It's a heck of a deal. You'll still need a matched center and a subwoofer of some sort. If you're thinking of using them for computer speakers I'd also look at Behringer B2030P passive studio monitors - which also need the help of a sub.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
actually, this part is absurd, but i have a 15" cerwin vega sub i bought off a friend for $50. it does its job, could probably get an 8" that's 3x as good but w/e.

@DCM, definitely agree, but was leaning more towards to speakers of the same style from the same manufacturer, but even thats not sure fire.

this is going to be for my home theater setup. i sit about 10 feet away, in a room thats about 14 x ~30 (basically a shoebox, downtown charleston SC slender house) the 15" sub is definitely overkill when turned up but i've managed to tune it to sound alright.

so.. bout to hit the order button, any objections as to why this man and speaker should not be married/

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
This price (about $108) is a "good" price and is around what NewEgg lists occasionally in their email bargain deals. As for the speakers themselves, I have M40's in the bedroom with a CS10 center and no sub, and this setup is adequate for that room. I have tried the M40's and even the M50's in the living room, which is about twice the size of the bedroom, and they were unsatisfactory in that room. Your mileage may vary. It all depends on where you use them and what you are accustomed to.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Like Rob said. These are awesome speakers for a smaller room. And the M40s sound almost the same as the M50s. But, for $108, I would get them anyway! You will not be disappointed!

·
Registered
29,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uschxc /forum/post/19533955

Since you're currently running Pro media computer speakers and are thinking about replacing them with Polk Monitor 40's, you do know you'll need a receiver or some type of amplification dont you? The Monitor 40's are not powered speakers like computer speakers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19535957

Since you're currently running Pro media computer speakers and are thinking about replacing them with Polk Monitor 40's, you do know you'll need a receiver or some type of amplification dont you? The Monitor 40's are not powered speakers like computer speakers.

yes sir, i bought a yamaha rx-v465 about a year ago and i'd guess it puts out more wattage than the original amp built into the sub that came with the promedia setup, which probably has a lot to do with the sound quality deterioration. it is rated at 105x5, will that be ideal? the speakers are rated up to 125w

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Are the speakers sitting on a desk? NFL if you turn up the volume!

Wattage schmattage. That Yammy probably does not put out 105 wpc. I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea thats why i said rates as i'm sure its not 525w or 105x5, but was curious as to whether i should ever look into upgrading the receiver based on the polks i'm buying.

basically i re-purposed computer speakers for home theater speakers. small room, so didn't mind, but have been thinking its time to upgrade and the deals were just there.

i picked up the CS2 center while i was at it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290212

i just need to get a wider stand for the tv so that i can space out the monitors and possibly a piece of wood or something to boost up the tv's height as the center will probably be too tall.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uschxc
yes sir, i bought a yamaha rx-v465 about a year ago and i'd guess it puts out more wattage than the original amp built into the sub that came with the promedia setup, which probably has a lot to do with the sound quality deterioration. it is rated at 105x5, will that be ideal? the speakers are rated up to 125w
Yes, that's fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts