AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone compared these speakers yet?

I got the athena AS-B1 now and I see a good deal for the Polk Monitor 50, is it worth the upgrade or should i stick with the athenas?

·
Registered
875 Posts
The answer depends on what you are trying to change with the upgrade.

Monitor 50 are nice little towers with very clear top and midrange, but they do not have to much bass (for towers). I am not familiar enough with Athena for a direct comparison, though.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I didn't care for Athena's when I auditioned them several years ago when BB was closing them out. I don't remember the model numbers, but I listened to a couple of different Athena speakers. So, based on that alone, I would probably prefer the Polks. But would it be any kind of upgrade? Who knows.... I sure don't. And neither does anyone else. The ONLY person who can make that determination is you, listening with your own ears, preferrably on your own gear in your listening room. That's the only place how they sound will make a difference.

Even if you get 20 different people saying that they prefer one over the other, when they listened to them, room interactions and set up conditions will have all been different (and were they even set up correctly?), the front end gear different and most importantly, their own personal hearing is different. So even IF everyone agrees that the Polks are better, you may think otherwise. So, you really do need to make that determination yourself.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies

I guess what i'm trying to ask is if the monitor 50 a good speaker for an apartment living room?

are they good if i'm already happy with my athena or are monitor 50 garbage?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefromfl /forum/post/16962552

thanks for the replies

I guess what i'm trying to ask is if the monitor 50 a good speaker for an apartment living room?

are they good if i'm already happy with my athena or are monitor 50 garbage?

Sigh.... like I said, basically one man's garbage is another's caviar. You could get five that say they are junk and five that say they are the best bang for the buck on the planet. Which one would be right? BOTH would be. The only person who can say if they are garbage or caviar is YOU.

If you're "happy" with your Athena's.... why in the world are you even considering it? If you're not happy or truly want to spend some $$$ and REALLY upgrade, establish a budget, grab some reference material, a journal to keep notes and start auditioning some speakers. Don't rely on some schmo like me on the internet to tell you what you are going to like or dislike. Their chances of being right are 50/50 at best.

As for "being good for an apartment.... ANYTHING is good for an apartment as long as YOU enjoy it and you keep the volume at reasonable levels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts