AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help here. Just here recently I have been coming home from work and when I start up a movie or my xbox360 my right channel isnt working. I take out the banana plugs and put them back in. Check the connections on the reciever/speaker both. Keep toying with it and now it comes back on. Its been doing this for about a month or so? Some days it does it and some it doesnt. The right speaker also crackles and pops a bit when its first on but once you have had it on for a couple of minutes, it goes away.

Is my right channel going out or do I maybe have a connection problem? I was thinking of getting out another set of my banana plugs and connecting those and see what happens from there. I do have the warranty on them but I dont wanna mess with it right now if its just a connection at the speaker.

I did try my left channel over on my right side and its fine so I am sure its not the receiver.

Any ideas? Should I take the back plate off and look inside for anything loose or desoldered?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the speakers themselves are fine. At low, medium and high volumes they sound great. I did change the banana plugs to a different set. If anything, its that or its the terminals on the back up the speaker. Ill try it with the new plugs and then maybe switch the speakers to different sides and see what the results are.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
try the wiring without banana plugs, use bare copper directly to the 5-way connector and tighten down the caps.....see how that works first

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/15534582

try the wiring without banana plugs, use bare copper directly to the 5-way connector and tighten down the caps.....see how that works first

Ill give that a try for a week and see whats up. If that works then is it either the banana plugs or the holes the plugs go into?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I came home again today and I used bare wired with the caps tightened down and I got nothing from my right speaker. So I thought well, Ill just switch the speakers. Right to Left and the Left one to the Right side. When I did that my right channel started playing on the left side and my left speaker worked normally on the right side.

What gives? Is something loose inside because every time I start toying with it I usually end up tilting the speakers and putting it on its side to mess with it and then it works.

Should I leave them swapped for a day or so and see what happens or what? Im about to take them somewhere. I dont wanna use up my warranty at frys though just yet. They most likely also dont even carry this model which means Ill get some comparable replacement that doesnt even match my set.

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
it really sounds like there is an intermitent short/break in the speaker wire inside the enclosure. The suspect speaker is now on the left side ?, try rocking it back and forth a little and see if the sound breaks up. I doubt seriously is Fry's has any more Monitor 60's, but contact there customer support and ask about replacing the speaker. If Fry's can not help you, than call customer support at Polk Audio and let them deal with it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/15558067

it really sounds like there is an intermitent short/break in the speaker wire inside the enclosure. The suspect speaker is now on the left side ?, try rocking it back and forth a little and see if the sound breaks up. I doubt seriously is Fry's has any more Monitor 60's, but contact there customer support and ask about replacing the speaker. If Fry's can not help you, than call customer support at Polk Audio and let them deal with it.

Ok, well tonight I turned off my entire home theater setup and went and did some other things. Now about 5 minutes ago I turned it all on so I could see if it was going to do it again and now its still the right side after I swapped the speaker locations. So now I know its not the speakers. I started to play some Ben Folds to see what was going to happen and I got nothing from the right channel and then slowly it start making some static noises and now it plays fine.

So, I guess its either the wiring or the receiver itself. I guess Ill take the wire out from the right channel and check the banana plugs at the receiver end. If its not that and its my receiver, how do I go about getting something like that fixed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts