AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to put together a 2.1 setup for my apartment.

Here are the items I will be buying, and I am in love with the floorstanding speakers but I do not know if the AVR can push the speakers and should I get smaller speakers instead because I cannot afford a better receiver during my build.
  • Two Polk Audio Monitor 70 3-Way Floorstanding Speaker (Single, Cherry)
  • Onkyo TX-SR608 7.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black)
  • I have not decided on which subwoofer I will purchase either.

Please give me your opinions because I have never put together a sound system other than a few HT in a box setups.

·
Registered
29,106 Posts

Quote:
However, I have no plans of purchasing a center or rear speakers but if I did will this AVR be able to push an additional pair of TSI200 and a CS1 center speaker.

Easily. But if you're going to get a center the larger CS2 would be a better choice with the M70's. Having a powered subwoofer takes a load off the receiver to handle low frequencies. The Polks have a high sensitivity so it won't be a problem for your Pioneer 1120.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/0

Easily. But if you're going to get a center the larger CS2 would be a better choice with the M70's. Having a powered subwoofer takes a load off the receiver to handle low frequencies. The Polks have a high sensitivity so it won't be a problem for your Pioneer 1120.

He's getting an Onkyo, not the beloved 1120.

But still, I concur on the CS2, and the Onkyo 608 will push your setup just fine.

How large is the room?

Will it be used mainly for movies, music, and/or games? (percentage of use for each)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19621094

He's getting an Onkyo, not the beloved 1120.

But still, I concur on the CS2, and the Onkyo 608 will push your setup just fine.

How large is the room?

Will it be used mainly for movies, music, and/or games? (percentage of use for each)

I was getting the pioneer but it does not have Standby pass-through or Audio return channel which will be a serious problem for me. The living room area must be about 15 feet by 25 feet but sound will leak into the kitchen and hallway because there is no wall in between. However, I plan on moving into a town home next year and I will most likely have a dedicated home theater room about 15 feet by 20 feet completely surrounded by walls.

It will be mainly used for gaming 40%, movies 30%, sports 20%, and music 10%.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any suggestions on a subwoofer for this setup currently I am looking to spend $300 tops and I am looking into this sub

JBL ES250PCH 400-Watt Powered 12" Subwoofer - Cherry

·
Registered
29,106 Posts
Why is the Audio Return Channel a serious problem? What audio would you be sending from the TV to the receiver?

By the way the product sheet says Pioneer 1120 has ARC (Audio Return Channel).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19621237

Why is the Audio Return Channel a serious problem? What audio would you be sending from the TV to the receiver?

By the way the product sheet says Pioneer 1120 has ARC (Audio Return Channel).

You are right I was mistaking what ARC actually does but Standby Pass through is necessary for me and the Pioneer AVR which I really want does not have it. I want to be able to use the tv speakers most of the time because of my neighbors in the Apartment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19621293

If you don't want the Onkyo 608 the Yamaha RX-V667 also does this. But the Onkyo is probably less expensive.

Thanks for the suggestion because the Yamaha seems to be something I will be happy with for a while. The extra cost seems to be worth it because I hate buying the same thing twice. I can easily end up getting bored with the Onkyo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Once I purchase the AVR and Speakers all I need to connect them is 16 gauge speaker wire and a subwoofer cable to get the sound connected to the receiver. Sorry for the noob questions but I am completely new to putting together a stereo.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydhil /forum/post/19621472

Once I purchase the AVR and Speakers all I need to connect them is 16 gauge speaker wire and a subwoofer cable to get the sound connected to the receiver. Sorry for the noob questions but I am completely new to putting together a stereo.

Yup, just get some speaker wire and an RCA-type cable to connect your sub and you're good. You might want to consider banana plugs too for the speaker connections.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...09&cp_id=10401

I actually picked up the Yamaha RXV667 last Friday, upgrading from a Yamaha HTR6140. I have to be honest... I didn't notice much of a difference in sound. I have a fairly new set of Monitor 60's as well, and a CS1 center, and RTi4 rears, and an old Mirage 10'' sub.

With that setup, I felt the HTR was underpowered, b/c I could hear distortion from the M60's when playing at like 60% max volume. So far the only real difference I've noticed in the RXV is that it's much more capable of powering the speakers at high volumes. Sonically I don't hear too much of a difference, but at least I know my speakers are getting enough juice, and that I'm no longer fearful of burning out my speakers. Also have the front channels bi-amped too.

Obviously though, the 667 adds a wealth of new features (6 HDMI inputs, 3D ready, ARC, etc.), but just sonically, I was hoping for more.

Then again, I live in a tiny condo (700sqft), and my living room is just absolutely horrible for acoustics.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydhil /forum/post/19621375

Thanks for the suggestion because the Yamaha seems to be something I will be happy with for a while. The extra cost seems to be worth it because I hate buying the same thing twice. I can easily end up getting bored with the Onkyo.

how much is the Yamaha going for ?

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydhil /forum/post/19621472

id go with 12 gauge wire from monoprice..

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydhil /forum/post/0

I was getting the pioneer but it does not have Standby pass-through or Audio return channel which will be a serious problem for me. The living room area must be about 15 feet by 25 feet but sound will leak into the kitchen and hallway because there is no wall in between. However, I plan on moving into a town home next year and I will most likely have a dedicated home theater room about 15 feet by 20 feet completely surrounded by walls.

It will be mainly used for gaming 40%, movies 30%, sports 20%, and music 10%.

The 1120 DOES have both ARC and hdmi passthrough in standby, so you got some bad info -- I own one.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19621122

I think he edited his original post. He had the Pioneer 1120 in there before.

Its ashame as I would take the Pioneer VXS 1120 over that Onkyo, I would even take a Denon AVR-1911 over that Onkyo.... But I can't stand the sound of fans running
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19622204

The 1120 DOES have both ARC and hdmi passthrough in standby, so you got some bad info -- I own one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19622219

As for subs, considering your planned usage, the BIC PL-200 is probably your best option under $300 -- it's $270 new.

Glad you verified my thoughts on the standby passthrough

Bic PL200 is the proven under $300 subwoofer! Lava LP12 is an option too but its still a risk as they are fairly new still

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.