AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on these speakers in a basement theater arrangement. The room would be about 15' wide by 23' long by 8' tall. My wife and I are not audiophiles by any means. We just want something that will make movie watching fun. By the way, that's the main purpose, movies. There will be some gaming and sports, and virtually no music. So let's hear some opinions.

Also, I was hoping to use some smaller bookshelf speakers as my surrounds in a 7.1 setup. I have 4 speakers that each contain a single 5 1/4" driver and a 3/4" tweeter. And for subs, I was planning to build an IB with either dual 12" or dual 15" drivers depending on the bang for the buck ratio. The center channel is also open for discussion.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
nope, the center channel is already decided if you get the Monitor 70's
Polk CS2 center channel to completely match the Monitor 70's.

I have the Monitor 70's and CL2 combination, and for the money there are very few direct competitors at this "price vs performance" level. Today, the Polk Monitor 70 towers (in black) are on sale at www.newegg.com with coupon code EMCZNYN65 (12/2/2010)

For your large room, the "front 3" consisting of the Monitor 70's and a CS2 will work well. Your four "other" bookshelf units will work fine as surrounds in a movie soundtrack HT setup.

The direct competitor to the Polk Monitor series is the Infinity Primus series available from www.crutchfield.com

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I just got the email from newegg about the sale. That's why I'm asking this question. Awhile ago I had high hopes of going with higher $$$ stuff like Paradigm, but I just can't justify that kind of money for the little extra benefit I'm getting. I know other people would feel it's a greater benefit, but like I said, I'm no audiophile.

I'm curious about your opinion on the center channel though. It's my understanding that the center channel's main job is to output dialogue (human voices), and voices tend to be on the lower end of the frequency spectrum. So wouldn't you want a center channel that can go lower than 50 Hz? The center channel I have now is equivalent to the CS1, and that's my only real complaint is the voices don't come out very clear.

·
Registered
707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/19580496

nope, the center channel is already decided if you get the Monitor 70's
Polk CS2 center channel to completely match the Monitor 70's.

I have the Monitor 70's and CL2 combination, and for the money there are very few direct competitors at this "price vs performance" level. Today, the Polk Monitor 70 towers (in black) are on sale at www.newegg.com with coupon code EMCZNYN65 (12/2/2010)

For your large room, the "front 3" consisting of the Monitor 70's and a CS2 will work well. You four "other" bookshelf units will work fine as surrounds in a movie soundtrack HT setup.

The direct competitor to the Polk Monitor series is the Infinity Primus series available from www.crutchfield.com

I agree with m_vanmeter. Monitor 70 should be matched to (Monitor) CS2 for the center.

Also I agree that the Infinity Primus are another good choice.

Myself, I had decided to buy the Primus, and was waiting for the right price (that's how I usually make big purchases - decide what I want, then wait for the price I'm willing to pay). After searching for months for a deal, I found a good deal on the Polks, so I decided to change it up and go with a Polk Monitor setup instead. I'm totally satisfied. Monitor 60 up front, CS2, and 30 surrounds.

However, if you're not in the market to buy surrounds yet, the other speakers you have will likely be just fine. But you do want to match your front soundstage (L,C,R) so purchasing the center at the same time as the fronts is a no-brainer.

Since it sounds like you won't have a sub right away, I do recommend the Monitor 70 over the 60. The 70 goes a little deeper and will offer slightly better low end without a sub. Myself, I'm in an apartment, and I don't use a sub. Monitor 60 is adequate for my needs.

Also, keep in mind the Monitor 70 has four drivers (versus the three slightly smaller drivers in the 60), so you'll want to be sure your receiver has enough power to drive them.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
a Wiki source puts the typical adult male speech frequency range is 85Hz - 180+Hz, so mixing very low frequencies into the center channel is actually counter-productive. That is why most receivers set the default cross-over for the center channel at 80Hz. The large CS2 center is very good at producing dialog and all the rest of the audio pumped into the typical movie soundtrack center channel.

To maximize your listening experience, do not scrimp on the center channel speaker.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull /forum/post/19580910

Also, keep in mind the Monitor 70 has four drivers (versus the three slightly smaller drivers in the 60), so you'll want to be sure your receiver has enough power to drive them.

-actually I believe that the driver SIZE on both these models are the exact same, 6.5". The 70's extra driver is what gives it better bass respones.

-like everyone said, if your getting monitor 70's then you need to get the monitor cs1 or cs2, preferrably the cs2.

-if you're not going to have your subs for a while, then go with the 70's as G-Bull said. But if your subs are gonna be in there soon, then your better price/value buy would probably be the 60s. The main advantage of 70's over 60's is the bass response, but that almost gets nullified when u throw a sub in the mix.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the "rule" depends on what type of listening you want to do. And the brand of subwoofer does not matter, just it's frequency operating range - you want the subwoofer to easily cross over at a frequency where the other audio speakers in the setup bottom out.

If you listen to true multi-channel music like DVD-A and SACD, then you want your 5 or 7 speakers to match, preferably using the same speaker all around.

If you are using a mix of music and movie soundtracks, then you can match manufacturer series to get the same or similar tweeter in all the speakers.

If you are mostly using the setup for movies, the the "front 3" should match and the surround speakers can be just about any decent speaker that fits your setup, because the surround channels carry mostly ambient and special effect audio.

As far as the Monitor30's on stands, Sanus makes reasonably priced stands of varing height to put the surrounds (really the tweeter) up to a reasonable "slightly above seated ear level" height.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseligson /forum/post/19826258

I am confused I thought that I should only get the same brand of all speakers? Does rule not apply to subs?

Whatever you buy you'll want a subwoofer for that room. If you can't afford M70s and a sub then consider less expensive bookshelf speakers and a good sub. The perfect match rule only applies to the front 3. While a match is desirable for surrounds it's not an absolute must. Subs are a different animal and are handling completely different frequencies and a brand match is completely unnecessary and usually not desirable. The big speaker companies just don't do subs all that well.

If it were me I'd buy 3 of these as left right and center, or 2 of those bookshelves and this center and put most of the money into a good sub . These would make fine surrounds for this system.

Of you prefer the Polk sound then substitute Monitor 40, CS1 or CS2, and Monitor 30s for surrounds when on sale. On the other hand if you can afford the M70s and a good sub then go for it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for the response. I am getting a great price on the m70's paying about 159 each.

Then I will get a matching center.

And purchase the sub later. What can I expect to pay for a decent sub?

For the surround speakers I may use my old bose for now.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseligson /forum/post/19826258

I am confused I thought that I should only get the same brand of all speakers? Does rule not apply to subs?

Also do you know if the monitor has stands that work well with them?

I don't know why it is but it seems to me that subwoofers that are offered by manufacturers for use with that manufacturer's speaker lines are often underpowered and/or lack sufficient range for good room-filling base sound, particularly with typical movie soundtrack sounds.

Since you mentioned the Andrew Jones designed line of Pioneer speakers I'll use that line as example in which the sub which completes the set is an 8" 100 watt design with an operating range extending only to 35 hz. Since the line's tower speaker FS51 can play at (I best recall) 40 hz, the subwoofer's additional range is slender and barely worth the cost of the unit. This is a case in which it is very much an advantage to choose a subwoofer made by another manufacturer and it is not the only such example that can be found.

If there IS a "rule" as described it is a rule best ignored, IMO, - you must let your ears write your own rules. That is, IF you hope that your room will "ROCK!!"

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseligson /forum/post/19828925

Thanks for the response. I am getting a great price on the m70's paying about 159 each.

Then I will get a matching center.

And purchase the sub later. What can I expect to pay for a decent sub?

For the surround speakers I may use my old bose for now.

It depends on the total volume of the room and anything it's open to. I'd just email Hsu Research and Elemental Designs with the dimensions just to get an idea of how much to save. For now I'll toss out a budget number of $450-600 shipped. You could go cheaper but you give up sound quality for music and/or deep grab you and shake you action movie bass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts