AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this sub and it seems weak to me. Not sure if it's something with the settings or the unit is defective. I'm connected through the sub out on my Yamaha RXV671 receiver to the line in on the sub. Crossover is set at 80 on receiver and sub. Sub is selected on receiver. I need to turn the volume all the way up and crossover all the way up to hear any rumbling. Everyone else is saying that there PSW111 is pretty strong for the size. Not looking for anything earth-shattering, but I think the sound is pretty weak. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
In AVR set xover to 80hz, on sub turn xover setting all the way up if there is not a LFE or bypass input, if there is, use it.

Run YPAO if you haven't yet, once done go to configuration screen in speakers>manual setup and set all speakers to small.

Other than tweaking the sub trim level if needed you should be good, however if the subs trim level has been set to -10, lower the gain/volume knob on sub and run YPAO again, shoot for something like -5 or-6 to 0.

EDIT: I saw a picture of the amp, use the red/LFE input it bypasses the subs internal xover/lowpass

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I've been solely listening to TV and maybe that's why the sub audio was so low. I just played a CD and set the volume around 60-75%. Crossover was all the way up on the sub (which is supposed to equal LFE). It seems ok now.

Question is that you say to set receiver crossover at 80hz and sub should be maxed. Just making sure I understand that correctly. I thought receiver crossover should match sub. So receiver at 200hz and sub maxed at LFE?

Thanks again. I think I'm on the right track now.

·
Registered
421 Posts
set the xover in the AVR at whatever you want (-3db point of speakers).

If you use the red input it bypasses the subs internal xover, that's a good thing because you don't want the signal going through 2 sets of filters. You can turn it all the way up (on sub), but it shouldn't matter.

Hovering on amp picture at amazon there is a LFE position on lowpass knob, which is all the way up. It says, set here when using the LFE input.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I owned a similar polk sub (PSW303) at one time and found it to be pretty weak. If you can return it you would probably be happier with a BIC, a better polk (505), etc.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I agree with JJ7. Unless you have space limit, get the bigger PSW505 and I am sure you will be pleased with the solid bass it puts out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchased the PSW111 because of its size. Only paid $120 through Electronics Expo online. I had a larger Yamaha YST SW315. That thing sounded more powerful even though it was only like 100 watts. I really need to test it out this weekend when I play a blu-ray disc.

I always get confused with the crossover though. Is it best to keep the crossover on the sub at a lower level or higher? I want the sub to handle the bass and not my tower speakers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Jackbuzz already posted the correct way to configure things. You didn't mention what tower speakers you have. It may be that the weak polk sub isn't really helping you. When I had the PSW303 it was accompanying a compact polk system with small satellite speakers. If you have substantial tower speakers you probably need a more powerful sub to hear a difference.

I got a decent deal on a velodyne impact 10 late last year-it's compact and a step up from the psw303. DefTech supercubes are compact but not cheap. SVS has the SB12-NSD which is compact, but again it's more money. It's fundamentally difficult to get good bass from a small box, so the solutions which perform well are not inexpensive.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have Polk Monitor 70 speakers. Just got them to replace old Yamaha towers. Nothing great, but they do the job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts