AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little background: I have had a polk surrounded setup that I bought from Circuit City about 10 years ago. It has a psw202 and small satellite speakers. It sounded good for a lot of years until the sub seemingly went south. It would power up but no sound would come out. I figured it had a lot of use and could in fact have gone bad, so about 2yrs ago I bought a psw125 and it worked fine for a bit but then gave me some problems. It would do the same as the 202. It would intermittently go in and out.

This past Christmas my fiance bought be a denon avr 1613 receiver. The 125 worked again and I was happy. I watch very little TV on the TV that the system is set up on since I don't have a high def TV there and its a pain to navigate the menu since the receiver needs to be hooked to a TV to fully use it. Tonight while listening to the radio (low volume) the sub would lose all volume. Its hooked via rca cable and with the volume on the sub cranked all the way up and the other speakers unhooked, you can barely hear it. I happened to hook the 202 up and that works still. I pulled the panel off and checked the fuse and it appears to be fine.

I am extremely frustrated with the whole sub problem. It worked for 2 songs and part of a commercial break and then the volume basically quit. Unfortunately the sub is out of warranty which sucks because in the 2 yes I've owned it, it probably only has 50-75 hours use on it.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Stop buying Polk. Next time look at rythmik, svs, hsu, psa just to name a few.

Honestly never even tested out a Polk sub and no idea what could be wrong with yours.

Give it time someone on this forum is bound to have had a Polk with the same problems and can prolly help you

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If you turn your subwoofer on after it has cooled off for a while and it begins working again for ten minutes or so, you could have a bad part in the amplifier. If you have of-auto/on-on switch, try turning your subwoofer on and off manually which may help. Sometimes, the auto-on circuit can fail. If neither attempt works, then it is likely time for a new subwoofer (and I know it sucks). I have had four subwoofers fail over the years.

At around $200, people in this forum like the BIC F12; at around $300, the BIC PL200; and around $400, the Hsu STF-2.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts