AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have first hand listening experience with both of these speakers?

Frys is having a sale on both, but I'm having difficulty deciding which to go for.

For a set of two, the R50s come in at around $40 more expensive than the R300s, but they "look" a little beefier, and each have an extra 6.5" driver.

However, the R300s are a newer model and are configured a bit differently.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Banned
766 Posts
I have both that I bought a few weeks ago from Fry's. The R50 sound bigger and better. The R300 sounds surprisingly good for what you pay (124 shipped). I will upgrade the tweeters though, thats the weak link, the bass is pretty good. I ordered Audax tweeters from partsexpress, since they fit perfectly in to the opening and are much better tweeters and work well with the crossover that is in the R300's. ( I had one so I tested already).

They are a little on the short side though so risers are needed to bring them up to listening level. Once I upgrade the tweeters they will cost approximately 160 ( 20 bucks for each Audax tweeter). And they don't look half as bad either. Will use them for the back speakers once the tweaking is done.

·
Registered
118 Posts
How would you say the R50's are over all compared to other floor standings (on the level of something you'd find at a Circuit City or Best Buy)? Also, do you also think that the R50's need a new tweeter?

·
Banned
766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utcpyro /forum/post/0

How would you say the R50's are over all compared to other floor standings (on the level of something you'd find at a Circuit City or Best Buy)? Also, do you also think that the R50's need a new tweeter?

The last time I looked at speakers at BB was at least 5-6 years ago, so I would stay away from them. I bought the R50 because of the price vs. performance difference. They are a great deal for $190 shipped. The tweeter is bit cheap side, but it sounds surprisingly good. I also have the R15 and that same tweeter is those, but it sound much better in the R50's. I haven't listened at CC, but I do know they carry some polks, so if you go to CC you will have to look for something that is in the $600 range (per pair). vs 190 for these. I would say thats a steal.

The speakers themself are fairly good constructed, although some more bracing could be made. The bass is the best part of the speaker. Once I finally break them in they should sound great. Down the road I might upgrade the crossover and the speakers with something custom, if you know how to calculate the values for the crossover. Hard to find a tweeter that fits in the existing cutout, so I will have to cut a bigger hole for a new one, once I get bored and need a new project.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Alright, thanks for you help. The price is why I'm looking at these (second system), and I just wanted something to compare them too so I'd know what I'm getting into. Even though I wasn't able to find any locally, I think I'm going for (update: just ordered) them. Even if I hate them, I can just use them as project speakers and modify them a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts