Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can you please let me know your opinion about which one of these are better speakers for Home Theater and Music. I listen to them 50:50. The speakers will be driven by either Marantz SR-5500 (or) HK AVR 635.

Polk R50 - $70/each

Athena AS-F1.2 - $115/each

I will be going with 4 floor standers with either speaker choice. Please let me know your valuable suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raks
Can anyone provide feedback please ?
Do a forum search (click on the "search" button located on the tool bar at the top of the main forum page) on Polk and Athena and you will get hits on NUMEROUS threads discussing these speakers.

I haven't heard the Polks or the new Athena floor standers, so I can't really comment on how they sound. Take the time to do a forum search though, and you will be reading for days.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I've got the R50s. They sound great to me for that price. Wonderful for HT and very good for the music I listen to. Bright, but not overly so, detailed, wide sound stage. I really can't recommend one over the other since I haven't heard the Athenas, but they have lots of fans and may in fact, be better to your ears.

Since they aren't that expensive, I'd recommend getting a pair of each to do an A/B test and you decide. Take back the loser and get another pair of Polks or Athenas.

Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the R 50's and have been pleased with them. For the price I believe that it is a good deal.

You may need to purchase a subwoofer.

Have fun with whatever purchase you decide on.

knpm

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was in the same predicament as you. I bought the R50s and the F1s, and tested them with my Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver. Both myself and my wife preferred the Polks. I'm now using the Athenas as my surrounds, and the system sounds pretty good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.