AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to installing these speakers I hooked them up to my stereo and they didn't sound very good. Will the sound improve once mounted in the wall? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The wall should act as the box and direct the sound towards you.

If you are worried, you can build a makeshift box in the wall while you have the holes cut.

·
Registered
19,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfgrass  /t/1416091/polk-rc85i-in-walls-any-good#post_22139738

Prior to installing these speakers I hooked them up to my stereo and they didn't sound very good. Will the sound improve once mounted in the wall? Thanks in advance.

Just like a tower or bookshelf speaker, the driver was made to be placed

in something to function properly - in your case, the wall.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume these speakers are also meant to be installed in an interior wall because of no insulation? Seems like all of the perimeter walls are the best locations for me. I'd hate to remove insulation.

joshua.jones, what do you mean by in the wall box? Just some enclosure to try it out or are you saying to frame a box in the wall? Sorry, this seems like I'm setting myself up!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Personally, I would only use inwalls that have sealed enclosures. For budget setups, Monitor Audio, Axiom, and Speakercraft offer sealed inwalls.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
They may sound a bit better, but I would not expect those speakers to be particularly good-sounding.

I suggest you check out the PSB website and look at the CW363 and CW383 speakers if you want some decent sound from an inwall speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfgrass  /t/1416091/polk-rc85i-in-walls-any-good#post_22139738

·
Registered
19,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfgrass  /t/1416091/polk-rc85i-in-walls-any-good#post_22140423

I assume these speakers are also meant to be installed in an interior wall because of no insulation? Seems like all of the perimeter walls are the best locations for me. I'd hate to remove insulation.

Do not remove the insulation - insulation acts like damping material to improve acoustics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts