AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moved:

I know this isn't apples n apples, but these are the three finalists for my HT.

I don't have a local source for the Mirage to hear and have Onkyo receivers but no speakers. I have Polk Rti 12's n 10's and luv them.

The system in my family room will be brand new with everything from scratch and I'm building it now.

I know - tough question, and most will say listen to them and pick.

What I'd like is your opinion of the three above to help with my choice.

I'll proly go with an Onkyo receiver and haven't picked a BluRay yet either.

I like the SVS subs but may do something smaller for this system but will proly use a 10" if the Mirage is not chosen..

These systems "FIT" into my HT area.. Anyone have an opinion on each? any?

Either power them with a new TX XR 706 or get an 806 and move my TX NR 901 downstairs and use the new one in the L.R.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Isn't anyone familiar with these, or is it that they are not similar that no one is answering? Kinda confused here.. Room is roughly 15x15 open on one side to 25 ft.

I really want to mount them on the ceiling at each corner as I've pre-run the wires..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Providing links to the products makes it much easier for us lazy folks to take a look at what you have listed.

Crude MS Paint room layouts also help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The links "are" the names of the speakers.. Just click on em..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seating side and TV side - TV is where picture by fireplace is now..

Pre-run wires are in the ceiling on either side of the picture (fronts) and above the aquarium and in the corner (rears) 5.1..

I was considering locating the surrounds on the picture wall on either side of the center speaker...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I had the Nanosats for a while (probably similar to the MX) and have to say they were fun speakers – I liked the way they filled the room with sound no matter where you are. I also liked that they looked unassuming when you mount then upside down high on the wall. The Polk RM95 looks pretty good too and their wide soundstage claim seems cool, though I’ve never heard them. Either Mirage or Polk seem like a good choice – you don’t have a local Best Buy where you can listen to Mirage? I would pass on the 7100 only because Onkyo is an electronics company, not a speaker company, and you have two nice choices from Mirage and Polk.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
May hafta go to BB to hear them.. I'd never heard of the Mirage till I heard about them on this forum...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Theres a few reviews on the rm95s. I bought them but I haven't fully set them up. I just put them all in the front just to make sure they work. They sound pretty good and you can turn them up without much hassle. Right out of the box they were no better than tv speakers but once broken in, they sound really clear. I don't regret my purchase at all.

I was also looking at the s7100 system too. It has a nice reciever and people who have the system enjoy it quite abit.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengel442 /forum/post/15491673

The links "are" the names of the speakers.. Just click on em..

Sorry. The blue on blue doesn't go very well. If you weren't looking for the link you wont see it.

Whats your budget? Ideally I would say go with a newer Onkyo receiver (606 or higher) and the Polk setup you have listed.

The Mirage I don't see really being able to fill a big room properly as they are pretty small.

The Onkyo HTIB are good units though. Onkyo is a speaker manufacture they just focus most of their HT ops in the US to HTIBs and receivers.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/08/13...0-sub-in-japa/

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznGouki /forum/post/15493806

Theres a few reviews on the rm95s. I bought them but I haven't fully set them up. I just put them all in the front just to make sure they work. They sound pretty good and you can turn them up without much hassle. Right out of the box they were no better than tv speakers but once broken in, they sound really clear. I don't regret my purchase at all.

I was also looking at the s7100 system too. It has a nice reciever and people who have the system enjoy it quite abit.

I guess I'm used to larger speakers and concerned that the small ones will sound cheap n tinny, but the small ones are what will "Fit" in the room. I want them in the air to reduce room clutter, but want them to "Fill" the room too. The TH room is 15x15 but the one side is open to 25ft. See pics above.

My other concern is mounting to the ceiling, as the wires I have pre-run drop out of the ceiling.. Can you mount the RM95's easily to the ceiling? There is not much I can tell from Polk's site for mounting the speakers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Whats your budget? Ideally I would say go with a newer Onkyo receiver (606 or higher) and the Polk setup you have listed.

The Mirage I don't see really being able to fill a big room properly as they are pretty small.
I really haven't confined myself to a budget, but won't go Overboard either. If the system kicks ass, I would just go there..

I also would be using either a 606 or 706 Onkyo in this room. Luv Onkyo..

The 7100 has charisma since it's "All-together" and matched but I was leary bout the Technical aspects of a receiver company making speakers.. I see now that they DO make speakers from your post.. That's a good thing.. Going to go to BB today and listen. I vowed never to go back to BB but I guess I will just to listen...

·
Registered
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengel442 /forum/post/15495844

Going to go to BB today and listen. I vowed never to go back to BB but I guess I will just to listen...

I don't believe BB carries Onkyo. The one by me doesn't. Circuit City does carry them however.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went to BB and heard the Klipsch - Quintet SL 5-Piece. It was setup as an HT in the middle of the building. Sounded really good with a Yamaha receiver. 95 watts, I believe with fairly low distortion.

I just wonder how it compares with the Onkyo system.. May go to CC tomorrow.. The nearest Magnolia to me is in Cincinnati - 50-60 miles away.

Now that I have a base sound to work with, how do you think the Polks n Klipsch's compare with each other?

After talking to AMY, it sounds as though the price differential between the Klipsch and K-Elite, may not be warranted, for me at least..

ps I use the blue format here so that you can see better, at least I can...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubau55 /forum/post/15502228

IMHO I personally would go Klipsch. There are some brands that I just like for some unknown reason. Klipsch is one of those. Polk is not.

My vote
Well, after this afternoon I can say they are on my likey list rather than my "NOT" list too.. I have a feelin that the Paradigms are gonna be expensive and more than I'd like to spend, but I'll bet they're good..

·
Registered
116 Posts
With the Klipsch running anywhere from $640 to $800.....I would say you could get a Paradigm system for around that same price actually.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011YZ018

If you look at the "Frequently bought together" suggestion.....not a bad looking system if you have that kinda cash to spend.

I hold Klipsch in high regards, but Paradigm I hold higher. You can usually only find Paradigm at home theater specialty stores. Maybe track one down and take a listen.

The Paradigm Cinema 110 series looks like it would be the comparable product from them.

6ave.com carries them I think.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I checked, and Paradigm is sold at Morris Home Furnishings nearby.. I'll travel over there to take alooksee at lunch - or maybe that would be a hearsee..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They had the Paradigm 110's set up with a Denon receiver

(85watt - don't know the #) and they sounded clean. I liked the sound a lot. May have been the music too. Didn't like the music.. Next time maybe I'll take a CD over with me. They sounded very comparable to the Klipsch's only maybe a tad better.. Didn't get that astounding difference that I was looking for I guess. Price was comparable to the Klipsch's.

The set of 5 + 10" Sub was $1k but they have 10% off, so I guess I'd better git movin and make a decision soon..

Saw the Sony XBR 6,7,& 8.. The 8 is out of the question, but the 7 really looked good. It's non HD processing was really better than the 6's. but I digress..

May have to have a coctail tonight and mull this over - after all it is Friday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts