AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of Polk RM6700 speakers(4 sats with 1 center).I've read some opinions on sticking with Polk for the sub. Price is the driving factor here. I'm looking at the PSW12 or for $50 more the PSW-404. These are both below $400. Any recommendations? I'm open to other brands also. I'll be wiring it up via the

L/R speaker wires in/out of the sub as reccomended by Polk.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I have the 303 sub from Polk and its great. Sometimes movies can be too boomy but mostly it rocks! I'm not the best person to talk to since I've only had this sub connected to these speakers and none others. By the way, I have it set up with the L/R speakers going to the sub and back to the AVR. Not sure if I will get a better sound with the single cable from the sub to the AVR. Anyone know?

Might wanna try some other brands just to have some fun and change it up.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
There's a review of the Cadence XSUB 12" over on the Sub forum. Looks nice. Also, the Dayton 12" looks like a great deal.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I think PSW404 is a nice sub. Polk doesn't have a great reputation for their subwoofers overall, but I like them. I had a couple PSW505's at one point.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's some info on how it will be used.

25' x 12' wide with a 13' cathedral ceiling. There's a 12' opening at the far end that opens to a kitchen/dining room (8' ceiling) and a hall with a 8' ceiling on the wall next to that.

........................ | kitchen |..

....................................... --hall way

Kenwood n8100 7.1 network audio/video receiver

Polk RM6700 speakers

Mostly using it for HT 90% of the time.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
That's a huge room, volume wise. I'd go minimum of the PSW505, but you may want to go the SVS route to get better performance and not completely destroy your budget. While I like the 6700's, you may find larger speakers a necessity as well. The small drivers just don't move a lot of air. Of course, cosmetics are probably a factor for you as well, but for pure sound quality, something like the RTi6 might be more appropriate.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I'd love to keep the speakers I had before we had a built in home entertainment unit installed. I have to have small unobtrusive speakers or its back to cutting up the drywall to install in wall speakers. That's why I got the RM6700's($250 new in the box). I don't have the money for nice in walls or the desire to try and install them. With that being the case, I have to work with what the BOSS says I can!!(I'm married). On a side note, the HT is in one side of the room with myself sitting in front of the PDP and speakers. Do you think the cheaper sub will be ok with everything set in 1/2 of the room?

·
Registered
472 Posts
What do you think of the RM6700 package? Are they generally considered to outperform other comparable packages liked the AThena Micra 6?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't compare them to other sets as this is the first packaged set I've had. I will tell you this, I was very impressed with the clarity and range of these small speakers. All the reviews I've read echo this. With the right sub, these speakers are an excellent choice for HT on a budget. Worth much more than the $250 I paid for them. Only my un-qualified review.

·
Registered
156 Posts
With your big room and budget, have you considered building yourown sub?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.