AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum and didn't see a current answer (2010) for this.

Using Polk RM95 (RM8s) alone in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup;

with a Denon AVR 891 receiver;

and noting that folks tend not to like Polk Subs -- what is the currently recommended sub?

Requirements:

. I would like to have the -3db low-end as close to 20Hz as possible.

. The RM95 have a low-end range of 130Hz;

so the Sub crossover should be able to hit 130.

It seems like a lot want to top out a crossover at 95-120Hz.

. my price range is up to $499 (and all of these wobble down around that price or lower at times).

OPTIONS:

Is anyone using these successfully with the RM95 set?

Are there any other strong choices missing?

. BIC VK-12 (If getting a BIC, it would be VK12 over PA-120, H-100 or F-12).

. HSU Research VTF-3 MK3 non-Turbo Subwoofer

(Turbo is pretty ugly)

. Klipsch RW-12d

. Klipsch SUB-12 or SUB-12HG

. Polk Pro 600.

(125 Hz [-3dB] tops its Frequency response?)

. Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer

(high-end crossover 120Hz?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any thoughts on this please?

What (newer) subs are you successfully using with the RM95?

--------------------------

Polk RM95 - 2010 Subwoofer recommendation? (I have choices listed)

I searched the forum and didn't see a current answer (2010) for this.

Using Polk RM95 (RM8s) alone in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup;

with a Denon AVR 891 receiver;

and noting that some forum folks tend not to like Polk Subs -- what is the currently recommended sub?

Requirements:

. I would like to have the -3db low-end as close to 20Hz as possible.

. The RM95 have a low-end range of 130Hz;

so the Sub crossover should be able to hit 130.

It seems like a lot want to top out a crossover at 95-120Hz.

. my price range is up to $499

(and all of these wobble down around that price or lower at times).

OPTIONS:

Is anyone using these successfully with the RM95 set?

Are there any other strong choices missing?

. BIC VK-12 (If getting a BIC, it would be VK12 over PA-120, H-100 or F-12).

. HSU Research VTF-3 MK3 non-Turbo Subwoofer

(Turbo is pretty ugly)

. Klipsch RW-12d

. Klipsch SUB-12 or SUB-12HG

. Polk Pro 600.

(125 Hz (-3dB) tops its Frequency response?)

. Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer

(high-end crossover 120Hz?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks BIG ***** CHIEF.

But I believe the Klipsch SUB-12 tops out +/-3db crossover-wise at 120Hz?

Since the RM8 Lower -3dB Limit is 130Hz; that would seems to leave a fairly large improperly covered sound hole.

And the Klipsch SUB-12 only goes down to 24Hz +/- 3db; I'd rather the sub hit a little lower.

Anyway, let me know how the SUB-12 sounds with your RM95 set.

thanks

~Bill

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
billsh

Almost always independent reviews with competent measuring equipment will yield worse frequency response than the manufacturer specifications.

Case in point: the Polk PSW505 starts falling off significantly at 40 Hz and effectively bottoms out at 35 Hz.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-4-2005.html

The Hsu VTF2.3 will get to 18 Hz in extension mode and 25 Hz in output mode. Hsus are also known for being good with music.

Of the subs (except the Hsu) mentioned in your first post, I am unsure that any will get to 28 Hz and I am not sure that most will even get to 32 Hz. The BIC PL-200 is considered the best of the BICs and will get to 25 Hz.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wwinkler.

Thanks (but your note is depressing, now I'm really stuck ;-)

The link you posted is great for reviews -- I've started to look over some of those, higher priced options.

I did also consider (Lava Subs on the lower end) for a while, but even though they have good customer support; they also have a lot of issues -- port tubes falling off in shipping; main driver screws torn loose in shipping, etc.

Thank you for your help.

~Bill

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Billsh,

Unfortunately, I am unable to give any recommendations in your choice of Sub because, in a nutshell, I am in search of an answer to the same question. I searched these forums, and I found this thread.

Its now time for me to splash out and buy my first AV setup here in the United States. (I miss my AV living room back home in England)

The components that I selected are:

Display: Samsung UN55C7000

Amp: Denon AVR 2311 (maybe the 1911 if money becomes an issue)

Satellite Speakers:polk RM95

Sub: ??????? (SUGGESTIONS PLEASE)

Like you, I would much rather have a substantial overlap in frequency response between the speakers and the sub. I would then set the crossover frequency to be half way between the bottom end of the speakers and the top end of the sub. The last thing I want is a gap. Also, the lower it can go the better.

Billsh, Have you made your selection? If so, what did you end up buying and do you have any comments?

Many Thanks

Brendan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brendan -- I'm still stuck.

Some good notes from folks on this thread, but no really good Sub answer to address the high low-end RM95 crossover; other than to buy a sub costing 2-3x what the RM95 set from newegg cost originally.

I'm still on hold.

I posted this question here and on the Polk Audio forums in early December; and surprisingly no great answer has been forthcoming. I think the RM95 purchase may have been a bad idea...

ps -- I also have a new 2311 Denon with a full Polk Monitor 70/40/40/CS2 center setup to equip with a sub. I bought a BIC VK-12 to use with the Monitors; which I may rededicate to the RM95 setup.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Emotiva Ultra 12 or 2 x BIC F12's. Basically, given the high crossover your system would sound best (assuming you want a smoother, fuller sound rather than down-low boom) with a sealed sub. If you have to go that high, chances are you're not going to go as low as you want.

Depending on room acoustics, though, a sealed may get you close on the low end. My Ultra 10 gets down to 23 Hz or so at -3db because of the room.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the RM95 set with a PSW110. I feel that they compliment each other well. It manages the higher frequency midbass that the 95s can't quite magically. I prefer down-firing woofers, however, and if cash wasn't an issue,

If I had the extra cash, I would go with something like the DSW600 you have listed up top. Good bang (pun intended) for buck.

If you'd rather not match a polk sub to your polk sats (some don't care for lower end polk subs), then I have to suggest something from HTD or what these other guys have put out there.

http://www.htd.com/Products/powered-...ered-Subwoofer

·
Registered
109 Posts
There's no logical reason to get the same brand sub as your speakers. I understand wanting things to match, however, but try and get over that

FYI - My experience with my Ultra 10 is the complete opposite of what some people are having with the Ultra 12. It really just depends on your room and setup. Again, however, without spending a lot of money, you'll be hard pressed to find a sub going as high as you need that also goes as low as you really want. So, unless you're considering this, or considering used, I really recommend the Emotiva subs at the lower end of the price range.

Definitely stick with sealed subs, however, for the higher/smoother crossover. My Paradigm Cinema 90's aren't much better in the "low" end of things, rated at 110Hz but my AVR crosses them at 120Hz I think. Had a cheap ported sub and got the Ultra 10 and it sounds SO much smoother as I had measured a noticeable frequency gap before.

If you had more money to spend on it ($800+), I'd consider something like the Rythmik F12.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts