AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...okshelf/rtia3/

Little help?

So, I'll be shopping for a pair of decent bookshelf speakers this weekend. So far I have targeted the Polk RTi A3s...

They MSRP for $460, but I can get them for a flat $400.

They seem solid enough, but I am not familiar with Polk and so I'm looking for a little assurance from anyone out there that I'm not buying crap speakers.

I'd like to know that they are a safe buy.

I'd like to know whether or not not I'm getting quality speakers, both in build and performance.

So, any opinions on Polk as a whole? Any opinions on these specific or similiar speakers?

I will be using them as a 2-speaker bedroom set-up for the time being, with hopes of using them as surround speakers in the living room at a later date.

Any reason they will not do both compitently?

Thanks for ANY thoughts or comments.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Very good detail, very wide soundstage, very forward speakers. Great for HT, good for detailed music.

Disadvantage - there is very little depth to the soundstage. Not very warm speakers.

I own them. I have Rockets coming though, probably to replace unless my comparison results in an upset.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
I've not heard them but they are nice looking speakers. The cherry ones (real wood veneer) are MUCH better looking than the black ones. IMO, Polk is one of those speakers that don't really shine in any particularly aspect, but that do cover everything pretty well. Very utilitarian.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like what you guys have to say for the most part.

I know It'll be lacking on bass, but that's something I can live without until the yare in the living room which will result in a sub being purchased.

I'm trying to stay on a budget and want to make smart buy.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I played with them for awhile. What the other guys said, however, depth of soundstage will vary with equipment and room. They are more neutral than the previous RTis, though still a bit forward. Bass is surprisingly tight and punchy, especially with a little power. Polks do alot of things well and there are lovers and haters. Get your ears on them. You might think they are the best thing you've heard for the price. IMO, they are quite an improvement over the RTi6s that they replaced.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple /forum/post/14319928

I played with them for awhile. What the other guys said, however, depth of soundstage will vary with equipment and room. They are more neutral than the previous RTis, though still a bit forward. Bass is surprisingly tight and punchy, especially with a little power. Polks do alot of things well and there are lovers and haters. Get your ears on them. You might think they are the best thing you've heard for the price. IMO, they are quite an improvement over the RTi6s that they replaced.

Great to hear. I will be picking these up for sure now.

Only question is color?

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Pro-FHD1 /forum/post/14319962

Only question is color?
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeridian /forum/post/14319995

Definitely the Cherry, no contest.

Agreed. How could there be any question? With those curved cabinets and real wood veneer, it is SEXY.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts