AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone could help me with this. On the weekend I was listening to some boomy music loud in 7ch stereo. I just recently removed the grills on the Rti10s and the are now my surround backs and energy RC-70 in Front.

I noticed the mid range woofer was moving around like crazy to the beat of the bass but the two woofers did not move at all? Lots of air coming out of the front port. I put my ear to it and the bass did seam to be coming from the mid range driver. Is there something wrong or is this the way this speaker works? In comparison the RC-70s the 2 woofers where pounding like crazy and the mid range did not move. They sounded fine. I also swithced the amp assign to Front b and played just these in stereo with sub off at insane levels and no change.

I am have them conected to the bottom speaker terminal with banana plugs. I bought these as floor models and even though they sound alright I want to check before the warranty is up. I wonder if I have them set up wrong or the crossover is broken. The two 7 inch woofers don't have the little bump in the middle (is this called the cone or driver) like most speakers do.

·
Registered
875 Posts
RTi10 are your back surround speakers???! Anyway...

Are there straps connecting top and bottom terminals?

What frequency are they crossed over from your sub?

The bottom 2 drivers on RTi10 work only below 125 Hz, comparing that with 800 Hz crossover frequency on the Energy's bottom woofers (according to the spec), so they are not supposed to "dance" as much even if you feed them the same input.

You could gently touch the large cones and feel vibration when they are playing.

Also, are your fronts set with something like "double-bass" on the AVR? That would feed even more to the bottom drivers.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
is there a brass jumper bar between the red-red terminals and the black-black terminals on the back of the speaker ? Polk likes to include the option to bi-wire or bi-amp their speakers, but when using a single speaker cable to connect the speaker to the receiver, the sets of "like" colored terminals are connected together with a metal jumper, or if it's gone, a short piece of speaker wire.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Straps are fine. With the crossover you mention that might explain it. The crossover was at 60hz on the AVR but disabled the crossover and it was the same. There is slight vibration from them at high volume I could feel with my finger but not see, and lots of air moving out of the front port. I will try a calibration disk and check the effect down low. Other than a calibration disk any other suggestions? I might have to set them at large and play Master and Commander being carfull not to turn them up much or light sabers in Star Wars, I have them connected by the bottom terminal, that should not have an effect right?

These were my fronts but when I put together a Engergy 5.1 system (RC-70,RC-lcr,RC-10) I moved these back fro 7.1. They actually work well there for 7channel stereo and tall enough for behind the couch. I thought of using them for main surounds but don't have room for them on the sides, also wanted a consistent soundstage towards the front.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys all is fine. I ran some test tones and it is as you guys said it has an extremely low crossover for the woofers. Kicked in about 25hz (the midrange driver also "vibrated" in this range) and rolled out at 130hz. On Master and Comander in Stereo during the battle scene they DANCED suprisingly in tune with the midrange. Not as strong as I expected the base to be with 6.1 DTS being downmixed to 2ch stereo.

Strange set up for the cross overs. Almost like a two way with two 7inch LFE woofers. Considering towers are the choice for 2 channel music listening I would have had them handle more and the mid less. No wonder many complained about the bass from these as music has little in the lower frequency. I might reset the crossover to 40hz (what Audessy sugested) in the AVR for these knowing now what I do. At 90 Hrz crossover, which many people use, with roll on and off the woofers would never be used.

Anyways thanks and hopely this helps someone else if they ever search like I did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts