AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much of an improvement is the LSI25 over the RTI12? I listen to music mostly so it is 75% music 25% HT choice for me. I can get the LSI25 pair for $1300 which is twice as much of what I paid for the RTI12 so is it worth it? I would appreciate any other speaker recommendation for under $1500/ pair.

I don't listen to jazz or classic rock. I mostly listen to Rock, Rap, and Pop.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The PSB Image T6 speakers sell for $1300 per pair, and they are much better speakers.

The Absolute Sound and Stereophile both picked them as best in their class, and used them in Recommended Systems articles.

I had them for two years and they are really excellent speakers.

I only replaced them because I fell in love with a pair of Vandersteen Treo speakers and had to have them. They are $6500 though.

Actually, Saturday Audio sells the PSB speakers for 20% off; those are new speakers with factory warranty but have minor cosmetic defects.

The Monitor Audio BX-6 is also a much better speaker than the Polks and they are $1000 per pair.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

The LSi line is generally regarded as a significant step up from the RTi line.  However, the music to which you listen is often not regarded as requiring the highest levels of finesse, so it may well be that you would not appreciate the difference, particularly for the price.

You can also get the LSi25 for slightly less than you are saying, if you don't mind refurbished:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-LSi25-CHERRY-Left-Channel-Tower-Floorstanding-Speaker-EACH-/360870470458?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item54058e633a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-LSi25-CHERRY-Right-Channel-Tower-Floorstanding-Speaker-EACH-/390791833120?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item5afd022620

New, though, is the $1300 you say:

Polk Audio LSi25 CHERRY Tower Floorstand​ing Loudspeake​rs [NEW/PAIR] 

The frequency response is rated pretty close to the same as your current RTi speakers, so if your amplifier is up to driving your present speakers satisfactorily, you will not likely notice much of a difference in the quantity of bass (though the quality may be different).

Also, keep in mind that if you are going to be using them in a home theater, ideally you will replace your center speaker to match whatever you use for your front right and left speakers.  And the LSi series speakers are 4 ohms, so make sure you amplifier is up to the task of driving them before you buy.

Reactions: XStanleyX
1 - 3 of 3 Posts