Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just got out of college and have a modest HTib setup from Kenwood (based on VR-507 receiver).

A friend of mine has a pair of Polk RTi150 for sale, brand new for (what he said) is a good price.

I went to the nearest store to test them out and I could not believe a pair of speakers could possibly sound like that, well actually I listened only to one speaker but it was enough for me. Classical music was playing and the speakers were hooked with, I think, the same wires my htib had initially which are very, very thin. That thing surprised me but it still sounded exceptional.

So, as you see I kind of fell in love with the RTi150 and I have a couple of questions regearding these speakers:

Would they work with the Kenwood VR-507 Receiver till I get a better setup? (I'm planning on upgrading from now on almost everything since I have the time)

What kind of price should I expect for a pair of RTi150 right now?

Ovidiu O.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i hope this helps. if this is close to the price you will be paying, you should definitely audition the newer vifa tweeter equipped lsi 15. just a lil more$$ who knows you might love it a lot more.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The RTi150 is really easy to drive... 91 dB efficiency and an 8 ohm speaker... so your receiver should not have any problem at all.

I can't comment too much on price, but the RTi series IS being replaced next month, so the discount should be pretty good.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The RTI150's might be efficient but they take a lot of power to really get the bass out of them like they can do. I think they will be a little thin sounding, but since he's upgrading, go for it. Some Circuit City's have been blowing them out. The prices are varying wildly from location to location, so check around.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the help. I might consider the lsi15 too, just got to test them first. If the price difference for the pair is going to be in the $500's, I think I'll settle for the rti150.

I'm thinking about upgrading these days the receiver too. What would be a good choice to consider, having in mind these speakers and the need to 'feed' them without any problems?

I have a budget up to $900 for a receiver; movie stuff is important (DTS or THX) but more important is music for this setup (maybe DVD audio included).

Ovidiu O

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Same shoes here, upgrading my HTIB receiver with a new pair of speakers was the best thing I ever did for sound. The speakers where a pair of Polk RTA 11ts that believe it or not I got at a garage sale for $60 (as someone said on another message board 'you stole those puppies')--Receiver wise I am learning right now cowards the Harmon Kardon AVR 525 (on ebay for about $600) I have heard nothing but good news about it.

·
Banned
2,846 Posts
In the $900 price range, the most powerful new receiver that you can buy with no ifs and or buts is a HK 7200. It could probably drive the RTi150, especially if are only using 5 speakers in your set, you could take the extra 2 channels in the 7200 and use them to biamp the Polks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Circuit City just dropped these even lower by me, $257.99 each, new in box. I gotta drive 75 miles to a CC with some in stock, but for me I think its worth it. This seems like a great deal on these speakers...it is right? :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
NAD T762 is another contender. but you'll get a lot more info in the recievers section. lots of ppl really impressed by pioneer's auto MCACC and yamaha's similar setup aid.

i hope you manage to squeeze in LSi 15s for a lil more. the prices on teh link i sent you show just a 100 dollar difference. hope its the same more or less.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SiliconIce - whoa, that's an even better price my "friend" has :) I've tried two CC's and they have it for $450 each and not even brand new, but show room demos.

If I might ask, in what city is that CC located?

Ovidiu

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by F355
http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/polkaudio.html silly me i forgot to paste the link that i took 20 minutes to search, in my previous post......so here it is.....
I got better prices than these about three weeks ago by taking the price quotes from Circuit City's website to a local store, which matched the price from the website ($228 fo rthe pair of 38s and about $142 fo rthe CSi 30). Since then, I've heard of eople getting even better prices than I got. So Check the website, print up the relevant pages, and take them to the store or rder from the site, assuming, of course, that they still have the models you want on the site.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am in Austin, TX. I think I got the last pair of new in box RTi150s in the Houston/Austin area, I checked dozen+ stores and had them check all their local ones...store I got them from was only one who showed stock. Some Houston stores show the RTi150s as $261.99 but have no stock...but offered to special order. Still gotta pick them up, problem is fitting the beasts in my car ;) Might have to unbox them... Should have them on Friday though, can't wait :-D

·
Registered
276 Posts
I got my 150's still NIB for 245.09 each at CC, and for that price, you can't beat them. They do need alot good high current clean power to get the very most out of them, but they still sound fantastic even with my Panasonic SA-HE200K. Great speakers for the money I spent.:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm... I visited and called almost every CC around here and it seems I won't have any RTi150's . All of them are out of stock - I almost cried when I heard the sound produced by these speakers and I've done almost the same thing when I realized this deal is done. It s**ks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got mine, boxes barely fit in my car hehehe :) The 150s are pretty power hungry...they don't get to "deafeningly loud" (i know thats subjective) when playing music until volume level is at 90/100 or more. 75-85 seems to be what my amp is set at for music and movies most of the time. I am running off an Onkyo 601 currently, got a few weeks to see if thats good enough or if I'll need more power...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.