AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm trying to go to a 7.1 system from 5.1 system and I will be placing my 2 back surrounds on the floor facing up. My current setup consists of the following equipment:

Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver with DPLIIx (crossover set at 80 Hz)

Polk RTi70 front towers (2 6 1/2" woofers and 1" tweeter)

Polk CSi40 center channel (2 6 1/2" woofers and 1" tweeter)

Polk FXi50 surrounds (1 6 1/2" woofer and 2 1" tweeters bipole/dipoles)

Velodyne CHT12 Subwoofer

I bought a pair of Polk RTi38 speakers to use as the surround back speakers but they are a little large and require me to move my couch up pretty far. The RTi38 speakers incorporate a 6 1/2" woofer and 1" tweeter and their -3db limit is 50 Hz the same as my FXi50 surrounds.

As an alternative I can exchange them for Polk RTi28 speakers which are smaller and use a 5 1/4" woofer and the same 1" tweeter, these speakers havea -3db limit of 60 Hz.

Would using these slightly smaller speakers adversely affect my rear soundstage?

Although my setup will be less than optimal for the surround back speakers I have experimented with one surround back speaker (using an old Polk center channel) and I feel it definitely adds something especially with EX/ES encoded material and 2 channel sources. As far as 5 channel sources forced EX/ES can have adverse effects. As such, I'm eager to try out DPLIIx with 5.1 material.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I've got just about the same setup that you do.

Center, Polk CSi40

Fronts, RTi70s

Sides, Polk RTi28s

Sub, Polk PSW505

I am currently waiting to get a DPLIIx receiver. Since I'll have a $300 CC gift card from my Samsung HLN617W DLP that I purchased, I figured I'd wait and get one from Onkyo since that's the best CC has (HK doesn't have the same power in that price range the Onkyo has). To me, the RTI38s have a fuller sound than the RTI28s do. However, the RTI38s are bigger than what I'd care to have hanging on my wall. I have a pair of RTI38s also that CC had as open box last year for only $100 (which they are in good condition and working fine). CC also has a speaker upgrade program that you can upgrade and just pay the difference in price of your upgrade for the first year. Several CCs in my area said you needed to purchase an extended warranty to do this but others siad you don't have to. I'm personally going to pickup a speaker selector and try out both the RTI28s and RTI38s next week. I also am going to purchase a pair of RTI8s to compare to the RTI70s to see if the upgrade is worth it or not. I tried a comparison at CC since they had RTI70s that were open box and the speakers definitely sounded different. The RTI8s seemed to sound better with music since the vocals were a little clearer and the highs were brighter. However, the RTI70s had a little fuller sound and the bass was much better. That's why I'm trying them out at home. I'll try to remember to post my results.

Another problem is that if I need a pair of RTI28s I'll have to look for an open box buy or purchase them online. How do you like the FXi50s? I haven't really considered them as I will not be able to set those speakers up to aim at you directly.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a Velodyne CHT12 and RTi38's as mid-surround and FXi30's for rear surrounds, so I am almost in the same boat.

I'm using the FXi30's as my rear surrounds and the RTi38's as my middle surrounds. Since the middle surround is stereo and the rear surrounds really aren't (at least in THX-EX and DD-EX, they are all 6.1 really), the FXis seem best placed for the rear. The RTis have worked great for the middle surrounds.

So if it were me, I'd move the FX's to the back and put the RTi's in the middle.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Armand28,

I have tried the RTi38's for my surrounds and I was far more impressed with the FXi50's, they aren't as easy to localize which I find perfect for ambient effects.

The reason I bought the 38's for the back surrounds is because as I mentioned in my first post I'm putting them on the floor behind my couch facing up. The FXi50's or FXi30's wouldn't work in this configuration as one driver would face the back wall and the other the back of the couch. If I was wall mounting them I would definitely go with the FXi50's for the back surrounds. I read on the dolby site that placing the speakers on the floor facing up is a decent alternative if that's all a room will permit. In my case I just recently painted my family room and I'm in no hurry to cut holes and try run speaker wire inside the wall, that and my wife won't go for the idea of wall mounted rear speakers.

My question was whether I would be giving up anything sonically by downgrading to a pair of RTi28's for back surrounds since that would require me pulling my couch off the wall a smaller distance than the RTi38's.

Right now, all my driver's are the exact same size, 6 1/2" woofers and 1" tweeters, if I go with the RTi28's I'll still have 1" tweeters but the woofers on those are only 5 1/4" and their frequency response is 10 Hz higher than the RTi38's (60 Hz vs 50 Hz at - 3db). The reason I think I should be able to get away with it is because my receiver is crossed over at 80 Hz. Does anyone have any thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.