AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all,

I have RTi6's for fronts and a CSi5 for center.

I'm planning on buying an XPA-3 (for $500) for all 3 and would like to know if this amp will enhance the sound or hurt the RTi6's as they max out at 120 watts. The center goes to 200 watts though.

Also I may upgrade to RTi12's at a later time.

Thanks

·
The Village Idiot
9,627 Posts
It is more likely that damage to your speakers would be from an underpowered amp or receiver and not from overpowering them. There are exceptions of course. If you are looking for better sound quality you might want to buy different speakers. Not saying the Polks aren't good but electronics will have less effect on sound quality than new speakers will. The LSI line is a decent step up from the RTI line.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
It is more likely that damage to your speakers would be from an underpowered amp or receiver and not from overpowering them. There are exceptions of course. If you are looking for better sound quality you might want to buy different speakers. Not saying the Polks aren't good but electronics will have less effect on sound quality than new speakers will. The LSI line is a decent step up from the RTI line.
If he steps up to the LSi's, he'll prolly need to step up to the XPA-3. Those need some juice to shine.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
hi all,

I have RTi6's for fronts and a CSi5 for center.

I'm planning on buying an XPA-3 (for $500) for all 3 and would like to know if this amp will enhance the sound or hurt the RTi6's as they max out at 120 watts. The center goes to 200 watts though.

Also I may upgrade to RTi12's at a later time.

Thanks
What are you running for an amp now? I wouldn't worry too much about hurting them, but unless you're severely underpowered now, you prolly won't notice the difference. Are you running a sub?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My current amp is a Denon x4000. I'd like to stay in the RTi line because all my speakers are in that group (FXi3's for surrounds).

So would the XPA-3 be pointless in my case?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
My current amp is a Denon x4000. I'd like to stay in the RTi line because all my speakers are in that group (FXi3's for surrounds).

So would the XPA-3 be pointless in my case?
An XPA-3 won't do much for you--the RTi's are easy to drive. What are you trying to accomplish with the upgrade? What aren't you happy with?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess my thinking was that I'd eventually get the RTi 12's to replace the 6's and in the meantime I'd use the XPA-3 with the current setup. I thought the amp for $500 was a good deal which got the ball rolling but maybe I'm wrong.

Obviously I don't want to throw money away so maybe I won't get it.

I'm getting a SVS PC12 plus though in June.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I have the RTI A9's with the XPA3 and those speakers sing...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But until I get the new fronts it'd be a waste :(

I thought a full 200 to the CSi5 would be great too

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I guess my thinking was that I'd eventually get the RTi 12's to replace the 6's and in the meantime I'd use the XPA-3 with the current setup. I thought the amp for $500 was a good deal which got the ball rolling but maybe I'm wrong.

Obviously I don't want to throw money away so maybe I won't get it.

I'm getting a SVS PC12 plus though in June.
The PC12 plus will make a much bigger difference than the amp. I recommend using a crossover at no lower than 80 Hz, preferably 100 Hz. Your speakers will play louder and cleaner--much more so than a mere amp upgrade.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
To my ears there is a difference from listening to the speaker using my Onkyo 818 vs the Emotiva.
Did you level-match and run a blind test?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Did you level-match and run a blind test?

The test included 4 people, I tested the TSI500 vs RTI A's on the onkyo 818 and the XPA3. I did the full audyssey calibration =both times to keep it as fair as possible. The sound was fuller was what 3 people have said.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The test included 4 people, I tested the TSI500 vs RTI A's on the onkyo 818 and the XPA3. I did the full audyssey calibration =both times to keep it as fair as possible. The sound was fuller was what 3 people have said.
But was the test blind? Even just single-blind as opposed to the preferable double-blind?

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
That would be a long time between calibrations, too. I would think the sonic memory wouldn't bee too reliable with breaks between listening that long (let alone the listeners being pretty annoyed during the switchover :) ).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I'm going to go ahead with the amp and very shortly get the rti12's or at least 10's. I feel like my center CSi5 will be better matched too.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
That would be a long time between calibrations, too. I would think the sonic memory wouldn't bee too reliable with breaks between listening that long (let alone the listeners being pretty annoyed during the switchover :) ).

Yes the switch over took a while, but I wanted to do this for myself more then anything.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If you want to spend money on something tangible buy a sub. the amp won't change the sound of what you currently have, but the sub will.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But I keep saying I'm going to get the new RTi12's plus the sub.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts