AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a pair of Polk SDA Signature Reference System 2 for sale nearby my area and I would like to get some opinion on it. The speakers are owned by the original owner since 1984. I owned a pair of Paradigm bookshelf myself and the Polk's might be a good deal. I have not listened to Polk's and was wondering how do they sound. Keep in mind, this was built in 1984. Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
These are humungus speakers that if in good shape do sound wonderful. They were produced prior to Polk moving into more mass market speakers. The main drawbacks were that they are 4ohm speakers and you need a nice high current amp to drive them (not necessarily a drawback I guess) and did i mention they are huge! I would make sure and check that all the speakers are in working order, and there are a lot of them.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had a pair of SDAs back in the day and they were awesome!! If you have the room and have a good stable amp and room for them, why not. Did I mention having room for them? :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a pair of SDA's SRS1 that I'm still using today. I combined my audio system and HT system into one and they are my main front speakers. I power them with a Carver 300+ amp thru a Yamaha 5690 rec. My room is 15' by 28' by 7'. Great sound for 7.1 HT and 2 channel for music. My speakers are spiked into a hardwood floor, no WF. Hopfully the seller has the crossover wire between speakers, spikes, back coupler plate with rod. He should have, being the orignal owner. If the price is right and all the speakers work buy them.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen1994
There's a pair of Polk SDA Signature Reference System 2 for sale nearby my area and I would like to get some opinion on it. The speakers are owned by the original owner since 1984. I owned a pair of Paradigm bookshelf myself and the Polk's might be a good deal. I have not listened to Polk's and was wondering how do they sound. Keep in mind, this was built in 1984. Thanks.
Hi Allen,

Many Polk Audio enthusiasts, including myself, are of the opinion that the SDA series of speakers are the best they have ever produced.

Here's a burb on Polk's web site:

SRS2.3TL

You'll see that there's a link on that page to the specifications. On the spec's page they state that the nominal impedance is 8 ohms. This is not correct. As was mentioned 4 ohms is correct.

Many folks like to use it in a two-channel setup, but like 1whatnow, I believe they are excellent as main speakers in a 7.1 arrangement as well. The model you are considering measures 55" H x 20-5/8" W x 13-1/8" D. Sometimes these dimensions make spouses uncomfortable, especially if it's located in a living room, etc.

I've got a similar, but smaller (44" tall) SDA, that I'm using in a 7.1 home theater. Click on the link in my signature it you're interested in my setup.

Larry

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to take a look at the speakers tonight but I won't able to listen to them since the seller sold his amp. My concern is that my Yamaha DSP1A receiver may not be able to handle these Polks. I'm not an expert on stereo but the seller told me on the phone it's better to have plenty of power to drive them. Thanks for the info from everyone.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Check out the LSi series - they are awesome speakers - and the price

ain't bad either :)

LSi15 towers are a little weak in the bass department but I cut them

off at 80 Hz and send the bass to my Velodyne - the combination

absolutely ROCKS...

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce
Check out the LSi series - they are awesome speakers - and the price

ain't bad either :)

LSi15 towers are a little weak in the bass department but I cut them

off at 80 Hz and send the bass to my Velodyne - the combination

absolutely ROCKS...
Hi Tony,

Both the SDA speakers and the LSis are both 4 ohms speakers. If Allen's receiver can't handle the SDAs they probably won't be suited for the LSis either.

Larry

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin
Hi Tony,

Both the SDA speakers and the LSis are both 4 ohms speakers. If Allen's receiver can't handle the SDAs they probably won't be suited for the LSis either.

Larry
Hi Larry,

I missed what receiver he had. You are right about the 4 ohms.

I had the 3805 for a week in my house and was comparing it to

my Denon AVR-4802. As long as I kept the volume down I couldn't

hear a difference but anything close to reference there as a very

significant difference. The 4802 sounded unstrained and effortless

compared to the 3805 which I contribute to the higher current

capacity of the 4802 amps.

Driving 4 ohm speakers requires very high current amplifiers.

Best regards,

Tony

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since I won't have the chance to listen to the Polk SDA, how do these 1984 speakers compare to the newer B&W or Paradigm in sound quality? In the $2K range.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin
Hi Allen,

Many Polk Audio enthusiasts, including myself, are of the opinion that the SDA series of speakers are the best they have ever produced.

Here's a burb on Polk's web site:

SRS2.3TL

You'll see that there's a link on that page to the specifications. On the spec's page they state that the nominal impedance is 8 ohms. This is not correct. As was mentioned 4 ohms is correct.

Many folks like to use it in a two-channel setup, but like 1whatnow, I believe they are excellent as main speakers in a 7.1 arrangement as well. The model you are considering measures 55" H x 20-5/8" W x 13-1/8" D. Sometimes these dimensions make spouses uncomfortable, especially if it's located in a living room, etc.

I've got a similar, but smaller (44" tall) SDA, that I'm using in a 7.1 home theater. Click on the link in my signature it you're interested in my setup.

Larry

That's an awesome setup you have there.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen1994
That's an awesome setup you have there.
If there ever is a JeffD2.Land it will be inspired by LarryLand. Sorry to be off topic, couldn't help it. Awesome is an understatement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.