AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Initially I was unsure where exactly to post this question, but ultimately figured that my Polk Surroundbar50 would be the limiting factor here. My current setup is this:

Denon AVR-1602 (circa 2001/2002) quick specs:

70watts/5ch

DD,DTS, PL, PLII decoders

Pioneer 50" Kuro PDP 5020FD Plasma

Yamaha 2x10" sub

HD DVR, vanilla dvd player, PS3, xbox 360 (non hdmi).

I use my PS3 as my BD player connected to my Denon via optical cable and directly to my Kuro.

My question deals with if it is worth upgrading my Denon to something newer that can decode the latest and greatest audio formats considering that I'm using a Polk Surroundbar 50. The SB doesn't really create that true "surround sound", but action films and such do sound full with these speakers. Just like most here I had to get the sb due to the wife, nothing more needs to be said about why I have this particular speaker. Will I be able to tell a NOTICEABLE improvement with my current setup? I don't want to deal w/ reprogramming my univ-remote, messing with all the wires (although there will be less thanks to hdmi) as well as spend $$ on something if I can help it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Just an opinion. I do not see that any soundbar would offer a gread advantage with the newer audio formats. I see very few movies being encoded this way and don't believe there is that much audio available this way either.

Since these formats rely on discretely reproducing the seperate channels, I don't see how this would be an advantage unless you had an amplifier (receiver) and the necessary good speakers for reproduction.

If your current setup sounds good, don't worry or fall victim to catastrophe theory.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts