AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
TSI/CS10/OWN3 definitely!!! You can save some money by going with the Polk Monitor Series ii speakers on newegg.com, They are much better deal and sound the same as the TSi-series

What receiver do you have? What subwoofer do you have?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Yamaha rx-v471. The speakers and sub I am using are from a ten year old Phillips system. I plan on using the sub awhile longer.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleDon /forum/post/0

I have a Yamaha rx-v471. The speakers and sub I am using are from a ten year old Phillips system. I plan on using the sub awhile longer.

Does your Phillips subwoofer have its own on board amp? Your budget doesn't allow for much of a subwoofer anyway but I bet you would benefit from an upgrade

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How can I tell if it has a board amp? I can not find a manual for it. I plan on getting a sub within a few months after I decide on a speaker package.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleDon /forum/post/21137548

How can I tell if it has a board amp? I can not find a manual for it. I plan on getting a sub within a few months after I decide on a speaker package.

What do you use to hook it up? Does it plug into the wall with its own eletrical outlet?

There are passive subwoofers which need an external amp to power the subwoofer and there are active subwoofer which has its own amp to power itself.

The Yamaha 471 only supports active subwoofers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did what you suggested and looked at the Polk Monitor series. I do have a few questions. I noticed the Monitors have bi-amp inputs. Does that complicated the set-up? The Monitors along with the TSI speakers have a rear port. Do these speakers have to be placed a certain distance from the wall? What center channel speaker would you recommend for the Monitor 30 and Monitor 40's. I noticed the Monitor 40.s have an extra mid-range speaker. Will my Yamaha 471 speaker have any problem with this? I believe my reciever is rated at 100 watts per channel.

·
Registered
29,058 Posts
No, it won't complicate your system if don't bother with biamping your speakers. Your Yamaha 471 doesn't give you the biamping option anyway. Just leave the jumpers in place on the speakers and use either the top or bottom terminals. I always use the bottom out of habit.

The Monitor 40 will sound fuller and play a little deeper than the Monitor 30 because of the dual drivers and larger cabinet.

Rear ported speakers should be placed at least 8-12" from the wall. The closer to the wall the more pronounced bass you will get. Sometime it can be a little boomy if too close to the wall. Just experiment with your room. My rear ported bookshelf speakers are 8" from the wall and that works perfectly fine for me.

Your Yamaha 471 can power either Polk Monitor just the same. These are easy speakers to drive.

The matching center speaker is the Polk CS1.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290210

1 - 14 of 14 Posts