AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im relatively new to the HT scene and in the market for some new floor speakers for my HT set up.

My choices are either the tsi500's or CF-70's. My receiver is a Denon avr591, and I already have a Martin Logan dynamo 500 sub. I plan on adding a center channel and surrounds eventually but for now it will be a 2.1 setup.

It will probably be 50/50 between music (rap, rock, techno, dubstep, etc) and blu-ray movies.

So between those two which do you think would be a better speaker, I dont have a best buy close to listen in person, nor the time so I will most likely be buying blind. Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated!!!

My family room is 18Lx14Wx10H with an adjoining kitchen on one wall if that makes any difference?

·
Registered
29,309 Posts
Well I wouldn't get the TSi500 at all when you can get the similar performing Monitor 70 for much cheaper from Newegg.com. The sale price is around $175 each.

Monitor 70 vs CF-70 is probably a close battle. You can get matching center and surrounds for less if you go Polk. I think the Polk CS2 can be had around $100-110 on sale whereas the Energy CC-10 will run you closer to $200+.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20882081

Well I wouldn't get the TSi500 at all when you can get the similar performing Monitor 70 for much cheaper from Newegg.com. The sale price is around $175 each.

Monitor 70 vs CF-70 is probably a close battle. You can get matching center and surrounds for less if you go Polk. I think the Polk CS2 can be had around $100-110 on sale whereas the Energy CC-10 will run you closer to $200+.

Thats a good point. Thanks for the reply.

Im just afraid of having buyers remorse, especially if I plan on buying blind which I know is frowned upon.

From a quality standpoint which do you feel is better between the two brands? Im sure ultimately I would be happy with either one compared to what I have now, I just tend to over think purchases like this. Lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can't speak on the Monitor70's, but I currently have both a set of Monitor60's and CF-70's. I'd describe the Energy as being the "brighter" speaker of the two. The Polks don't sound BAD per se, but I quickly discovered that I wasn't a fan of the softer "polk sound". I've got the CF-70's in my office paired with an Energy EW-100 sub and an old Pioneer VSX-29TX and it sounds pretty sweet.

I think the easiest way for you to figure it out would be to go and listen to as many speakers at the store that you can get away with. If you find yourself liking the horns or those with metallic tweeters, go for the CF-70's.

EDIT - Dammit. Didn't realize you had posted up the final purchase, and now I've gone and induced the doubt you were looking to avoid....sorry! The important part is you're happy with it...that's why most of us are here.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Your setup looks sweet!

I use a CS20 also (with Polk R50s for fronts and R150s for surrounds). It was a GREAT upgrade from my mediocre Polk CSR center, and it blends just fine with the R50s.

Enjoy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.