AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you consider $399/ea for the 550s a good price? I can't find any internet pricing yet under $499/ea. Also can you pair this with a CiA6 center speaker?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbazhaw  /t/1522278/polk-tsx-550s-at-frys#post_24474518

Would you consider $399/ea for the 550s a good price? I can't find any internet pricing yet under $499/ea. Also can you pair this with a CiA6 center speaker?
For the same money you could have these and the A6 would timbre match them or you might find a CSi5 for less money. Dunno if you have the juice to drive them. They can get a bit hungry at higher volumes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-RTi12-CHERRY-Floorstanding-Loudspeakers-NEW-PAIR-/231177530934?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item35d3412e36

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Or you could get a pair of Klipsch RF-600s for $700 or RF62s for probably close to that from the AVS store. Either would be a significant step up from the TSX.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:

The CSi A6 is meant to be with the Polk RTi A-series not the TSx.

The TSx250c is the matching center.

I personally would get RTi Series speakers from Polk's Ebay store

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are great thanks for the advice!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Made a stop by BB tonight to listen to some speakers and saw that they were running a package special on their Martin Logan Motion 40s, plus the Motion 8 center, Motion 2 surrounds with the Dynamo 500 for $2,399. Fired them up and wow what a nice sound even without the sub hooked up.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbazhaw  /t/1522278/polk-tsx-550s-at-frys#post_24476083

Made a stop by BB tonight to listen to some speakers and saw that they were running a package special on their Martin Logan Motion 40s, plus the Motion 8 center, Motion 2 surrounds with the Dynamo 500 for $2,399. Fired them up and wow what a nice sound even without the sub hooked up.
you could probably do better on price if you bought stuff online. The Dynamo 500 is a bit over priced for what you get an Internet direct subwoofer will offer more performance

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far the pricing I have found on the internet doesn't even come close to the package deal, well over 3k if I buy the components individually, plus I can take it all back with no restocking fees at BB if I don't like the sound. Setup sounded great in BB also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now on to finding a 7.1 AVR to drive these.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbazhaw  /t/1522278/polk-tsx-550s-at-frys#post_24477889

So far the pricing I have found on the internet doesn't even come close to the package deal, well over 3k if I buy the components individually, plus I can take it all back with no restocking fees at BB if I don't like the sound. Setup sounded great in BB also.
With a budget of $3,000 USD you can do far far better than anything available at best buy.

Only reason to get stuff at Best Buy is if you get an employee discount. Best Buy marks the prices of thos products up a large amount.

For the price of the Dynamo500 alone you can get SVS-PB1000 or SB-1000 which would outperform the Dynamo by a long shot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe I am missing it but after searching I still can't find all those ML components cheaper on the internet than the BB promo price. The tower speakers alone are $900-$950/ea no matter where I look.

·
Registered
9,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbazhaw  /t/1522278/polk-tsx-550s-at-frys#post_24478574

Maybe I am missing it but after searching I still can't find all those ML components cheaper on the internet than the BB promo price. The tower speakers alone are $900-$950/ea no matter where I look.

IMO that's a pretty good deal. The Motion 40s sound fantastic. The center and surrounds are not quite up to the towers but will suffice for now. The dynamo 500 is pretty anemic though. Maybe try and sell it and use some of that money towards a better sub.

As for an AVR buy the least expensive one you can that does what you need it to do and put the savings towards that better sub.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As a newbie I am overwhelmed with the number of choices out there. About the time I find something I like I uncover something like you mentioned above about sub par center and surrounds. Not knowing enough about all the various components I jumped on here but WOW major information overload. My head is spinning after a week just trying to put something together. I guess that's what appealled to me about that package. I did notice your running the Klipsch speakers, how do they sound? The price compared to the Motion 40s is a huge difference!! I want to make sure I am not paying for name alone and getting quality speakers. 90% of what we will be doing is all around movies and the kids gaming consoles.

·
Eyes and Ears Thriller
262 Posts

Quote:

Would you consider $399/ea for the 550s a good price? . can't find any internet pricing yet under $499/ea. Also can you pair this with a CiA6 center speaker?

I have no idea why people are knocking the TSX series and trying to talk you away from this series. I have the entire series and the sound is incredible. 2 TSX550s, 6 TSX110Bs, 1 TSX 250c, 2 10 inch subs and 2 12 inch subs driven by an Onkyo TX-NR929. Killer full-spectrum sound with crisp highs, full natural mids and robust low-end that can go toe-to-toe with just about anything out there in the price range. So as an owner that was impressed with the build quality, appearance and performance of these excellent speakers enough to invest in them, I highly recommend them. And they got even better after the break in and additional Audyssey XT32 tweaking. People have been blown away at their performance for both movies and music. I do not regret the purchase in the least. 

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz  /t/1522278/polk-tsx-550s-at-frys#post_24479226

I have no idea why people are knocking the TSX series and trying to talk you away from this series. I have the entire series and the sound is incredible. 2 TSX550s, 6 TSX110Bs, 1 TSX 250c, 2 10 inch subs and 2 12 inch subs driven by an Onkyo TX-NR929. Killer full-spectrum sound with crisp highs, full natural mids and robust low-end that can go toe-to-toe with just about anything out there in the price range. So as an owner that was impressed with the build quality, appearance and performance of these excellent speakers enough to invest in them, I highly recommend them. And they got even better after the break in and additional Audyssey XT32 tweaking. People have been blown away at their performance for both movies and music. I do not regret the purchase in the least. 

Which 10" sub did you go with?

·
Eyes and Ears Thriller
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbazhaw  /t/1522278/polk-tsx-550s-at-frys#post_24479398

I had a couple Onkyo SKW-770s left over from a couple past Onkyo HTIBs that add nice complementary clean bass. Not quite like my BIC F12 and Polk PSW505 subs but with a decent frequency range so I put them to use. Eventually, I will invest in more substantial subs like SVS but things sound really good, tight and punchy with the right amount of boom and shake for now.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbazhaw  /t/1522278/polk-tsx-550s-at-frys#post_24479398

For $500 subwoofer You should be looking at SVS PB-1000 or Reaction Audio BPS 212 "Turbo" Powered Subwoofer .

The Reaction Audio is new and untested so far, but people seem to like the head of the company. The SVS is the proven company and what I would go with for $500

·
Registered
1,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz  /t/1522278/polk-tsx-550s-at-frys#post_24479226

I don't think enough people have heard the TSX's and they mistakenly think they are just the next in the line of monitor series (they are not). I was going back and forth between the TSX550 and the RTI8's...both sounded great, but in different ways. The 8's won out but I would have been very happy with the TSX's as well (price was a little high though).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I went back to Fry's and did a long listed between all my narrowed down choices again and for the what I'll be using them for which is mainly movies the TSx's sounded great. Picked up a Denon AVR-X2000 last night from A4L and looking for the center channel also. Really considering the Klipsch RS42 II for my side surrounds and some small 6-8" in-ceilings for the rears. SVS PB-1000 is looking like my choice for sub over the Polk PSW-505.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts