Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Purchased Polk speakers from mail order. I have 30 days to try them out.

I keep reading on this board how much people like Paradigm speakers. The two local dealers in my area who sell them will NOT let me demo them or return them if I don't like them. I can listen to them in the store but that's it.

Neither one sell Polk so I can't compare there either.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to compare the two.

Are their any mail order companies that sell Paradigm and that I can return them for full refund if I like the Polks better.

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would take one of your favorite CD's or DVD to the local dealers and compare the sound quality to what you currently have. Take note of the processors and amps they are running cause they may be better than what you have, but try it on one of their lower value setups, to rule out the equipment. I believe some really good speakers will sound pretty good even if the source is not that good. I could be wrong but someone else may have some better suggestions.

ART

·
Registered
70 Posts
Both Paradigm and Polk bring a lot to the table. It's not a matter of which is better, simply a matter of which you prefer.

I concur with Tusken and chang, bring them in. If you arent allowed to, then dont do business with em'.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where do you live? If you are close enough I would be happy to have you to my house and let you take a listen. I have Studio 40's for mains, Studio CC, SA-30's for surrounds and a PS1000. You could bring your Polks along for a an A/B test. Just PM if you are in my area.

Thanks,

BB

·
Registered
185 Posts
Although I am not a fan of the Paradigm "sound", as someone who has

been inside both them and the Polks, I can tell you there is ABSOLUTELY no

comparison in component quality used. The Paradigms win hands down.

Paradigm drivers begin life as Vifas...they do some partial in-house

assembly on them here in Canada, though. Polk drivers begin life somewhere in China or Bangladesh.....there is no comparison....

-Sporty

·
Registered
940 Posts
The new Polk RTi series use Vifa tweeters.

If the local dealer won't let you return the speaker, you don't want to do business them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your responses.

Although they weren't listed as a dealer on the Paradigm website, with some effort, I finally found a dealer who sells them and who will let me return them after 10 days if needed.

What I will be comparing is the Paradigm Monitor 7 tower speakers vs the Polk RTi 8.

Powered Sub PW-2200 Paradigm vs Polk PSW 404

Center channel Polk CSi5 vs Paradigm CC-370

Not sure about the surround sound speakers at this time.

I know my ears are what matter most, but does anyone have an opinion on how these speakers compare? Which ones they prefer or sounded best under music or home theater sound tracks.

Also for Xmas I was given a Panasonic SA-He100 receiver will this be enough power to properly drive these speakers. I really don't want to purchase another receiver because the speakers will be costing me enough as it is.

Thanks again you guys are great.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm a huge Polk fan so my answer is.....

What ever makes your earlobes tingle with delight is the right speaker for you. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you like the Paradigms more than the Polks, cool. If the Polks do it for you thats just as cool. Just make sure you post a really long review of each brand to help the next guy narrow his choices to managable number of speakers to audition.;)

You might want to checkout the 505 instead of the 404 though.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Since I own Paradigm speakers, I will chime in with my thougts.

The Monitor 7s are a very well manufactured and engineered speaker. If you like the sound, they have to be amongst the best built one can get for the money. They have a very different sound from Klipsch, JBL, and JM-labs. I have not compared them to the Polks, but it seems every speaker has its own harmonic characteristics.

Your room will be as big a factor as the speaker you choose. A very hard room( tile, wood floors, a lot of glass) might make a speaker like the Klipsch with horns very fatiguing. A soft room with lots of carpet, plush furniture, plants, and decor might seem to lacking in detail with other speakers.

Throwing money at speaker seems like a good idea, but room accoustics is equally important. If you have a fat credit card, and a lot of spare time; it may be worth it to bring several different speakes in for an audition. When you find the one that is best for you, you'll just know.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Helter - I'm the man here. I bought a 404 as I have RT800i's as my fronts, and (now) a CS400i for my centre. I took the 404 back - I love my RT800i's and CS400i, but the sub sucks! It bottomed out on me when watching Finding Nemo. I posted on here and a fellow Canuck suggested I check out the Paradigm PW2200. I did - and you cannot compare the 404 vs. the PW2200. You may as well compare a Ferrari (PW2200) with an Austin Mini.

The PW2200 has a built in amp rated at 400 watts continous with a max output of 1500 watts. No Polk sub even comes close to that! It shakes the house and I don't even have it at 11:00! I tried it once at the halfway mark, but I though my light fixtures were going to fall out :).

The Sub does not matter for timbre matching either - it just plays low frequency. Set your crossover and speaker size properly and you'll be all set - I have mine set to small with an 80hz cross over, even though the RT800i's will extend down to 28 hz, and it sounds great! The higher your crossover, the better it is for your mains, as they can channel their energy to the mids and highs, and not worry about the low bass.

I hope this helps you out! Good luck with your tests - I'm curious to know what you end up getting.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by agsmv1
I believe some really good speakers will sound pretty good even if the source is not that good. I could be wrong but someone else may have some better suggestions.
Yes and no, I've heard some setups where the speakers were so much better than the source, that they didn't sound good because they were too detailed, badly exposing the flaws of the upstream equipment.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SportyBry
Although I am not a fan of the Paradigm "sound", as someone who has

been inside both them and the Polks, I can tell you there is ABSOLUTELY no

comparison in component quality used. The Paradigms win hands down.

Paradigm drivers begin life as Vifas...they do some partial in-house

assembly on them here in Canada, though. Polk drivers begin life somewhere in China or Bangladesh.....there is no comparison....

-Sporty
I don't see how where the components were made indicates what kind of quality it is. I really, really don't like the Polks (there's just something about their tweeters that I find extremely, extremely harsh and irritating) and love the Paradigms, I won't knock the Polks as being low quality components. I used to work at a store that sold them several years ago in college, and we'd abuse the instore demos, running pretty much everything as hard as we could to find system's breaking point. The Polks would take alot, and definitely had a lower rate of return for problems than most of the other speakers we had.

*note, on my remark about the Polks, I'm not slamming their sound quality. They just sound a bit different in the highs than most other speakers I've heard, and it seems to be more annoying to me than most other people. Point is, while I personally do not prefer them, I wouldn't knock their quality like I would some other brand that has no highs and no lows...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.