AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still havent heard back for either brand of 21's, and I'm having last minute "why not"s. The initial goal was as exaggerated 20Hz on down as possible. The single largest driver I can get my hands on in the largest box I could manage to build. If I go with two 18's per cabinet rather than a single 21" it will change everything. A ton more output from 20Hz on up. Is that really so bad? It's free bass anyway.

I know the 21" Maelstrom-X is everyones dream driver. It is a favorite. So for simply a show off deal, it would win, who cares about cheap IB3s unless they are in an IB, and if they were, who still wouldnt rather Maelstrom-X 21s in that IB over the IB3s?

For some reason adding a 10Hz HP to account for electronics roll of drastically changes the comparisons, I'll post both. Red is a single IB3 18 showing the desired frequency responce:flat to 20Hz then a huge spike from 10Hz-20Hz. Yellow is two IB3 18's the inverse responce flat to 30Hz then drops down until 16Hz goes flat a second till drops again at 13Hz. green THE INFAMOUS EXODUS AUDIO 21" MAELSTROM-X.

FR

FR HPed

SPL

SPL HPed

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I vote for 4 IB3's, 2 in each box with an ep4000 running each sub. You gain more 20hz and up on the IB3's and the same below 20hz as the malx's. 20hz and up you are 6db up on the malx's.

2000 watts for the malx's and 3000 watts for the IB3's until they reach max excursion.

And for the money you can't beat the IB3's.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am really thinking about doin the recones and cutting holes today, cuz youre right. I'll just order 4 more for the van and let them sit so I don't spend it.

As for the modeling it's cuz it's 128 cu ft each.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
In analyzing my IB build components, I looked at every driver I could find. I wanted a driver that I could use for anything. If my IB, in some manner, didn't perform the way I want (not at all likely, but a consideration), I wanted the option to re-purpose the IB drivers into LLT, or ideally, multiple sealed. That why everything pointed to the Mal-X 21. If I missed with the location of the IB, and placed the primary LP in a null, I could scrap it and go Harman/Welti, quad small sealed, wall mid point,..and all's well. But, to begin with, I'll try the IB first.

The way an IB driver lacks the motor topology to overcome a small sealed alignment, I decided to go with a Mal-X 21. Only to allow me the versatility to go a different direction if needed. Besides, two double 21" manifolds would be bad ass in my 3000 cube media room. Actually, four 21s in most any configuration, would control the LF in my room.

Fast forward to more analysis, ....man the Fi IB3-18" is a true steal! It can't be ignored. In multiples, like a minimum of four, it strokes back and forth, it's a bass pump. The specifics of the driver become less and less important. It just tracks the signal, and with several motors sharing the load, the resultant group tracks the signal in more and more a linear fashion. The Fi IB3-18,...it's just too much of an obvious choice for an IB. The bang for the buck, it's got it. Besides, the combination of multiple manifolds, ample displacement and plenty of power, will allow me to achieve whatever tonal characteristic I want with adequate EQing.

As much as I want to utilize the Mal-X 21, the Fi can't be ignored for it's price/performance.

As for you, regardless of price, go with the IB3-18s in multiples. You're halving the distortion, higher output, more responsive due to less compression, both magnetic and thermal. Four of those would be the obvious choice for me. That's my opinion, but I'm not much of a DIY person. I have little experience with DIY, and what I do have has been quite some time. So I'm essentially all theoretical, and very little hands on,... wrt DIY subs.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH /forum/post/19598243

In analyzing my IB build components, I looked at every driver I could find. I wanted a driver that I could use for anything. If my IB, in some manner, didn't perform the way I want (not at all likely, but a consideration), I wanted the option to re-purpose the IB drivers into LLT, or ideally, multiple sealed. That why everything pointed to the Mal-X 21. If I missed with the location of the IB, and placed the primary LP in a null, I could scrap it and go Harman/Welti, quad small sealed, wall mid point,..and all's well. But, to begin with, I'll try the IB first.

The way an IB driver lacks the motor topology to overcome a small sealed alignment, I decided to go with a Mal-X 21. Only to allow me the versatility to go a different direction if needed. Besides, two double 21" manifolds would be bad ass in my 3000 cube media room. Actually, four 21s in most any configuration, would control the LF in my room.

Fast forward to more analysis, ....man the Fi IB3-18" is a true steal! It can't be ignored. In multiples, like a minimum of four, it strokes back and forth, it's a bass pump. The specifics of the driver become less and less important. It just tracks the signal, and with several motors sharing the load, the resultant group tracks the signal in more and more a linear fashion. The Fi IB3-18,...it's just too much of an obvious choice for an IB. The bang for the buck, it's got it. Besides, the combination of multiple manifolds, ample displacement and plenty of power, will allow me to achieve whatever tonal characteristic I want with adequate EQing.

As much as I want to utilize the Mal-X 21, the Fi can't be ignored for it's price/performance.

As for you, regardless of price, go with the IB3-18s in multiples. You're halving the distortion, higher output, more responsive due to less compression, both magnetic and thermal. Four of those would be the obvious choice for me. That's my opinion, but I'm not much of a DIY person. I have little experience with DIY, and what I do have has been quite some time. So I'm essentially all theoretical, and very little hands on,... wrt DIY subs.

Good luck

FOH thank you for your thoughts and time spent on that. I really needed that, I have been waiting all morning for it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.