AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many posts regarding problems with 5xxx series Replays, and wanted to get an idea of how many of us are having problems vs. those who have little or no problems.

This has probably been done before, but I haven't seen it. Besides, with all the recent discussion about this, I think a fresh poll could cast some light on the extent of the problem.

I encourage EVERYONE to participate and anticipate the majority and loudest responses will be from those with problems; I really want to encourage those of you with GOOD experiences to participate. The more the better.

I'm really curious to see how the numbers come out.

For the record, my 5040 (refurb) upgraded to 5160 has been a mostly good experience. I can't say it's perfect (I have the audio hiss issue), but besides the bad tuner experience, I'd have to say it's been nearly perfect; no lock-ups, no remote response issues, no software update issues (mine seems to be getting better with each new release), and generally a good experience. I should also add this is my first "real" PVR.

*one more thing. I wanted to include your connection method as that seems to be an issue; there's only so much space in the poll, so include your connection method (dial-up vs. broadband) in your reply.

So go ahead and fire away.;)

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Should have made the poll with check boxes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
5080 started locking up on Live TV with build 110. I connect via broadband.

I have to be very careful to never allow the Replay to play live TV now.

And a few days ago it kept locking up when it started to record a program (with the Replay turned on), presumably because it started to play the program at the same time. It took about 3 reboots to get past that problem.

So now I have to make sure that I'm always watching a recorded show (or it is paused) any time the Replay is due to start recording.

The sad thing was that I was recommending ReplayTV to a friend.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
With all of these overlapping options, I have no diea how you are going to make any sense from the results (think about those Venn diagrams). I voted anyway.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
Should have made the poll with check boxes.
I didn't know I could do that; I would have otherwise.

Can you explain to me how to do this? I didn't see that option when I set up the poll. It's my first one...sorry.

BTW, I notice so far the vast majority of users seem to be having little or no problems. The other trend I see is the software updates seem to be helping refurb owners and causing more problems with owners of new units.

Of course it's too early to get an real statistics out of this; and I REALLY want to change this poll to add check marks.

Do I have to redo the entire post, or can I modify the existing one and change from single choices to a check mark?

Can the Mod's help or change this?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ for the 1st and last time...otherwise; Mods, kill it.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Arrgh, can't vote more than once.... if anyone wants to add my others to the totals...

I've added one myself:

New, no problems

There should be another

New, no problems

Refurb and major problems

Refurb and major problems

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok guys, is this "make poll with check-boxes" possible; or are you just blowing smoke up my a**?;)

"If this is possible"?, let me know how to modify/re-post to get more accurate results.

Otherwise..Mods...delete:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Yes it's possible to allow people multiple choice....just depends what options you select when you set up the poll. But I doubt you can fix a poll that's already up and running.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I don't know about those polls. I made one asking about reliability of New and Refurb units and the results were hideous. The poll compared to this poll aren't recognizable(bad grammar).

I believe in the old poll the ratio of good refurbs to bad refurbs was 1:2 or 1 out of 3 bad. The OLD poll would imply..

1/3 * 1/3 * 1/3 = 1 out of 27 people would have to RMA their refurbs three times before getting a working one.

1/3 * 1/3 * 1/3 * 1/3 = 1 out of 81 would have to RMA their refurts four times before getting a working one.

If the poll figures were excepted to be coursely correct and exaggerated a little it would look more like this..

1/4 * 1/4 * 1/4 = 1 out of 64 people have to RMA their Refurb units back three times before they get a working one

1/4 * 1/4 * 1/4 * 1/4 = 1 out of 256 people have to rma their refurb units back four times before they get a working one.

That was the old poll. The new poll says 4 out of 19 refurb owners have problems with their refurbs (note if you count my vote witch was placed in 'refurb working worse after 110 update' instead of 'refurb with minor problems' because I could only vote once).

More then 1 out of 5 refurbs have problems by these figures.

1/5 * 1/5 * 1/5 = 1 out of 125 people must RMA their refurb 3 times before getting a working one

1/5 * 1/5 * 1/5 * 1/5 = 1 out of 625 people must RMA their refurbs 4 times before getting a working one.

As you see this is ugly.

When that one guy with the tagline "my 5TH Refub came...." I didn't think he was much of a screamer really because I did the above figures in my head and his claim was less than 3 standard deviations away from the mean. Didn't write a post like this back then because the tone of the forum was ugly enough. 3 standard deviations is considered 'unusual' but not profound. In fact its a given that their are many cases that require 5+/- RMAs.

I still got to RMA my refurb and I been scared out of my gord. Ever since I got that darn but beloved 5xxx refurb--which I never even watch--and started hanging out in this forum I've been a level more nervous and compulsive. I'm just not used to being completely befudled about whether to keep/rma/sell something I purchased (my showstopper pv-ss2710 works perfectly w/ no headaches). I heard scientists took a starving rat and give it a choice between going down a one way passage to a female rat in heat or another one way passage to a big chunk of cheeze. The rat died in indecision never making a choice. Can't how it died. I imagine it was starvation or a heartattack, or maybe a nervous coma. Don't have any good sources on that one. Tried to look it up on google real quick and failed. But it sure is believable isn't it?

Anyway, this Replay unreliable thing is a real mood winger. A beautiful product with given flaws..maddening.

bla bla bla

cow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.