Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read parts of the threads on each and they all seem to have at least some issues so I thought I'd turn it over to the forum gurus to vote for their fave given some basic parameters from me:

-primarily to be used as HTPC, I'll probably go with integrated graphics to start (I dont do a ton of gaming on my PC so I'll hold off on a discrete vid card for now)

-WMC on Vista install, upgrading to W7 after the bugs are worked out

-I'm mainly looking for ease of setup and lack of issues (like sleep mode bugs, overheating, stuttering, etc,

-I want to have the flexibility to move to upgrade to a solution that can support lossless HD audio from BluRay once that problem is properly solved (hopefully soon!)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I think if you'da made the poll a question of what brand name do you like, you'd get more response. How is someone supposed to know the difference between these 3 models unless they've owned some of each?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Spaz /forum/post/16920022

I think if you'da made the poll a question of what brand name do you like, you'd get more response. How is someone supposed to know the difference between these 3 models unless they've owned some of each?

yes good point, these are just 3 of the more popular models I've seen people recommending. If you want to just vote for the brand thats fine, just include a comment on what model you have experience with if you could, thank you

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Until Abit stopped making motherboards, I'd have said they made the nicest motherboard on the market. Now, I like ASRock boards, but I restrict that statement to the boards that have absolutely glowing reviews (of which there are a lot). Every manufacturer of mobo's makes lemons, but in my experience with ASRock (probably now 10 in the last year, 3 for myself), I'd say these are as solid a board as I've found. I also like the fact that the bios updates are very easy for them, and available on the web. My last gigabyte board went in the garbage can after countless calls to support trying to get them to mail me a bios that would work without needing XP SP3 loaded first, since XP would not load on the system. Originally I had Linux on it, went to put XP on and had nightmares with it till I finally threw it away and got another ASRock board to replace it. Multiple loads of windows insued, it raises my blood pressure just thinking about the wasted time on that thing.

That bios was not available on the web. They could not find the correct bios for the board. The utility they had to update the bois crashed the PC every single time I ran it (that pos web app thing they have). When calling tech support they told me they do not recommend using the web app for bios update, despite there being no other bios update available. Nice catch 22 there eh.

Life is just too short for that crap sometimes... I'll never own another product from them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts