Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the "annoying" poll :D

I picked 5 titles randomly, without focusing on one particular codec. I own all 5 in both editions. If you don't, just vote on the titles you own in both formats. I wish I could enlarge the poll to 50 titles or more :D

the result would be even more striking and unsurprising.

we need HD DVD but the size of an LD with 50lbs players and 1080p , PCM 6.1 96khz :D

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
mmh, 3 wrong votes :D and no comments.... :D

don't be shy, this ain't especially dolby vs dts or whatever, it's the format (ld-player), the mix :)

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
David since forum members from WebTV get a timed out invalid response try again message, I again could not vote. My vote would be for Aliens in THX, I guess AVS has reached the limits on old WebTV and their ancient 4.0 browser. I have their newest upgrade the 2.7, I can't get no higher than I posted sorry David.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
FWIW, I thought the Phantom Menace laserdisc's 5.1 sound was much better than the DVD. Much fuller, richer, articulate. The bass seemed more defined. Some say it was just louder than the DVD. Whatever the reason, I definitely prefer the laserdisc. If you have an EX setup, this is great demo material.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
some people need their ears checked, pffffff.......

:rolleyes:

the sound on dvd has been a problematic issue since it's birth, it even worsened over time though some exceptions exist in the latest releases ( mostly in DTS ).

too bad only 2.5 % of the US households did have laserdiscs at the peak of the ld market: otherwise, you would get A LOT MORE disappointed people...

to sum it up ( but there are exceptions ):

laserdisc is a better format for sound

ld players are better players for audio and generally considered excellent cd players

the respect of the cinema mix did exist a lot more during the ld times ( no concern for tiny weeny small systems or stereo playback )

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Guys,

I only voted for Aliens THX AC-3 LD and Dark City DTS LD. I have not been able to compare the other titles .

The Aliens LD is far far far superior over the dvd. The dvd misses out the LFE of the LD. I noticed that the dvd sounds extremely thin.

And now for the Darkcity LD. I compared the DTS LD with the DD dvd and the DTS dvd R2. The LD sounds so much fuller and has unequaled low level ambiance. The differences with the DTS dvd are somewhat smaller but the LD has defenitely the reference soundtrack. Furtermore the DTS dvd has pal speed up.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so very well said !!!!! FOX better be very careful when they will re release the ALIEN serie, hopefully in dts and with the right mixes. ALIEN AC3 THX LD is also miles above the dvd in terms of sound: same impression, pathetic basses on the dvd and those basses on the ld helps tremendously building the sense of oppressive horror of the movie.

I think we'll need to wait for an hypothetic HD DVD ( yaicks! i want HD LD ! ) to see the original, powerful mix come back.

but there are some punchy, "liberated" dvds on the market, a few.... :)

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so far, 75% voters consider DARK CITY sound better in laserdisc, 96% for CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER ld, 57% (??) for ALIEN ld, 55% for TPM ld (mmhh..... :D ), 80% for TERMINAL VELOCITY ld

the problem is: 97% of US households never heard laserdisc sounc... (as far as I know, only 2.7-3% US households were equipped with a laserdisc player )

more !

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Quote:
some people need their ears checked, pffffff.......
Does that include you?
Quote:
the sound on dvd has been a problematic issue since it's birth, it even worsened over time though some exceptions exist in the latest releases ( mostly in DTS ).
Yeah that myth has been floating around the campfire for a long time now.
Quote:
laserdisc is a better format for sound
Really, I'm sure that you have some undeniable objective data on this[hint: you don't]
Quote:
the respect of the cinema mix did exist a lot more during the ld times ( no concern for tiny weeny small systems or stereo playback )
Actualy "nearfield" mixes which present on many DVD's are preffered by many filmakers and DVD producers.If you think that amix which was mixed in a large auditoriom in mind and that suppose to sound good in an avarage LR,then by all means spin that big disc,and invite Rachel over as well.;)

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
David, I voted fer that thar STIR WARZ PHANTOM MANIAC LD it rulz sue-preame. Bon Jyour'ins tuu!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
problem is not everyone has these discs.

You should do a simpler poll. DTS LD of Casper is the best!!

A poll of a LD like ID4 or something most of us own vs 3 of the best sounding dvds. That would prove your point. because I can't compare all of these and would be shocked if anyone on here can.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hello Bella !! how do you do ?

Hank: good idea ! :) but I have to add another poll then? too bad I can't add another 5 titles on this one.

ID4 ld: still beats the dvd :D

the point is, when studios put a lot of effort and don't cook down the mix for a mini nearfield 1.5meter listening :D , dvds can sound great ( in DD 5.1 and DTS, 'cause the 192kbs stuff no matter what they do still pales compared to a PCM track. even some DD 5.1 still pale compared )

(could be that some dvds owners are voting for dvds in a denial approach, just to screw up the poll ? :D ....... )

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
In my opinion, unless the master is different, all laserdisca beat their DVD counterparts with very few exceptions.

JEff

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Let me guess?

David Alexander,Jim Jones?

You certainly sound like that guy!

Quote:
(could be that some dvds owners are voting for dvds in a denial approach, just to screw up the poll ? ....... )
Yeah those are with "dropped" format are not in denial at all,I'm glad you so honest,and apparently very "knowledgeable" on subject too.;)

Good luck with your poll, and hope you don't take it too scientifically;)

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lewis, pleeeeaaaassse....... besides, attacking members is not welcome here :rolleyes: ( and I don't mean myself ). the fact that many lds sound better than their dvd little brothers annoy many people, the industry doesn't want anything to disrupt the cash cow machine... but they don't have to worry, the ld market was such a niche market...

anyway, there are great sounding dvds fortunately. TOY STORY 2, STARSHIP TROOPERS, the superbit, PEARL HARBOR, SPR DTS, RULES OF ENGAGEMENT, seven dts, THE ROCK DD, many... Many dvds surely don't sound as "nearfield intented".... region 2 has some awesome sounding dvds too like PACTE DES LOUPS, lES RIVIERES POURPRES, SLEEPY HOLLOW DTS etc

·
Registered
26 Posts
DVD sounds thin and strindent compared to their LD counterpart, LD sounds more open and there is no fatiqueing quality that the DVD has.

The Episode 1 DVD has alot of vote because fo the scarsity of the LD version.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rak

what can I add ? :D

indeed, with the niche market the ld ever was, few people have the ld sound in their "memory" to compare...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
As someone who had a DVD player first, and then jumped on the LD bandwagon just this past November, I can say uequivocally that LD soundtracks are consistently superior to their DVD counterparts. I assume this usually has to do with the castrated audio bitrate present on most DVDs. Perhaps an LD mix that's more faithful to the theatrical version contributes to this as well.

When I was a noob, I used to believe that DVD was the ultimate home theater medium in all aspects. After discovering LD, I learned otherwise.

I believe that DVD soundtracks can equal LD soundtracks from a technical standpoint. Once you cut the bitrate in half, forget it. No comparison. Let's face it, most DVD soundtracks have compromised bitrates in order to accommodate special features.

And let's not forget LD PCM Pro Logic tracks played back with a Pro Logic II decoder. Absolute bliss.

Quote:
Yeah those are with "dropped" format are not in denial at all,I'm glad you so honest,and apparently very "knowledgeable" on subject too.
I don't think that anyone would argue that in terms of video performance, the best DVDs are better than the best LDs. How much better is dependent upon the LD player (most don't get to use an HLD-X9). In terms of audio performance, LDs are consistently superior. Have you even watched an LD on a decent surround sound setup and compared it to the DVD? I doubt it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.