AVS Forum banner

Does your DMP-BD60/80 have freezing issues?

• Definitely yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope, never experienced this.

• Maybe, it happened so few times it could be a disc issue.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been so much talk of this on the owner's thread that I would like to see how many people actually have experienced this issue on numerous occasions to where they feel it is a problem with the player and not a disc issue. I myself have never had a problem and I just want to make sure that this is not getting blown out of proportion.

Please vote then post which player you own, how long you have owned it, and if you have had the problems, a brief description of what you experienced. This also includes the Costco/Sams models and what not 601, 605s etc. Just be sure to indicate what exact model number you own when you vote. Also could help to describe your setup and how it is connected.

My Vote: No freezing. BD60. Owned about 3 months with many discs going through it. HDMI MPCM -> Rotel RSP-1069 -> Pioneer Kuro

If you voted that you have freezing problems please state if you have reported the issue to Panasonic or not and any responses they give you. If you have not, please do.

Panasonic Customer Support: 1-800-211-7262

Here is a BD 60/80 freezing FAQ posted by member theshephard

Quote:
1. What is the 'Freeze'?

The 'freeze' is a phenomenon encountered by some owners of the Panasonic DMP-BD60/80 where in the midst of playback, a movie will seem to pause for a duration of about 5-8 sec., then resume as if nothing happened.

2. Does every player get the Freeze?

No. Many users report never experiencing the Freeze. Odds seem to be as good that you won't ever see it as they are that you will.

3. Isn't this just a problem with a bad disc?

No. While the symptom sounds very similar to a flawed disc, the Freeze cannot be reproduced on demand with the same disc, much less the same point in time on the same disc. Media problems generally present themselves at a specific point in the movie where the flaw exists. For instance, a light scratch at the midpoint of the disc may reliably cause a hangup at the same point in the movie, every time. The Freeze does not work this way and what's more, people have reported the Freeze with discs that go directly from the newly opened case to the tray of a recently purchased player.

4. Isn't this just like a typical layer change in a DVD?

No. The time at which the Freeze happens appears to be completely random (mid-scene) and will often not occur at the same point in the movie twice. Again, this is a problem that so far cannot be reliably reproduced on a per movie basis.

5. How many times during a movie does the Freeze happen?

Even users who report having seen the Freeze will not see it on every movie they watch. So IF you have seen the Freeze, it is not certain that you'll see it during each movie. Generally, forum users have reported that the Freeze only occurs once if at all during any given viewing of a movie.

6. Does anybody know the cause of the Freeze?

No. Patterns have not as of yet been identified to tie the Freeze to a particular device configuration, a particular brand of disc, other HT components in use, or any similar common trait that could indicate the cause.

7. Does Panasonic know about the Freeze?

Yes. Forum users have reported that after some prying, Panasonic sales reps have acknowledged awareness of the problem.

8. Does Panasonic have a fix for the problem, like a firmware update?

Probably not. While some users have reported seeing no freezes since installing the v1.9 of the firmware, other users have reported seeing the problem even while running this same firmware level.

9. Does this imply that the Freeze might be going away after a burn-in period?

With the answer to question 7 in mind, it might be tempting to think that the number of hours logged on the player could be helping some people out. Again, no pattern has been conclusively identified around the root cause or the resolution. While some users have reported the problem disappearing (after time or firmware update), some have reported it appearing only after having logged many hours on the player. Really, we're stabbing in the dark to explain this until the problem can be reliably reproduced or eliminated under controlled circumstances.

10. So is the Freeze really a problem?

There is no objective answer here. As to whether the Freeze constitutes a show-stopping problem for a user, the answer is very subjective. First of all, remember that many owners of the product have never seen the Freeze. For those who have seen the Freeze, their reactions (as documented on this forum) are mixed. Many people can and do live with it, while some people are completely angered by it. If you've experienced the Freeze once or twice already, the uncertainty of the Freeze interrupting your movie at the most dramatic moment can be distracting. There's no certainty that in buying one of these players you'll experience it. There's no certainty that you'll see it on every movie. There's no certainty that you'll ever see it.

10. Should I still buy one of these players?

The DMP-BD60/80 is generally loved by the current owners. The feature set, the quality, and the performance are all remarkable in the market right now and this is available at a compelling price point. Many people continue to buy this player even after hearing about other people's experience with the Freeze. One has to be careful about letting something like this overshadow an otherwise great player. If you would otherwise buy the player, it might make sense to buy it, plug it in, play it, and return it if you see the problem and can't stand the idea of it happening again.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My vote: Freezing

BD60

I probably watched 12-15 movies before getting a freeze. It was the classic "random freeze". The movie (The Patriot) froze for a few seconds near the end and resumed. It was as if I had pushed "pause" for a few seconds.

The next film after the freeze (An American in Paris) played flawlessly with no freezes.

A couple of days later, I received my Red2Blu trade in discs and was watching the Glorious Technicolor feature on the Adventures of Robin Hood disc when I experienced my second "random freeze" identical in nature to the first.

Connected via HDMI to Onkyo TXSR606 which is connected by HDMI to Mitsubishi WD62725 DLP.

---EDIT---

I should add that my freezes occurred on new discs I own; not rentals.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
BD605 running Ver 1.9 with an April, 2009 Manuf date.

I didn't vote because I have experienced a freeze but consider it a non-issue today since I haven't had a freeze since 6/2 and 13 BD titles. I did experience 1 freeze's while running firmware 1.5. So I have experienced the random 3 sec pause on a BD title but not for two months now, so it's a non-issue for me.

Never had a freeze on a regular DVD. Except for four titles, all were Netflix rentals.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
BD80

Only watched a few movies on it. Froze 2x. Hit rewind for a second or two, then play and it worked normally.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 /forum/post/16938830

BD605 running Ver 1.9 with an April, 2009 Manuf date.

I didn't vote because I have experienced a freeze but consider it a non-issue today since I haven't had a freeze since 6/2 and 13 BD titles. I did experience 1 freeze's while running firmware 1.5. So I have experienced the random 3 sec pause on a BD title but not for two months now, so it's a non-issue for me.

Never had a freeze on a regular DVD. Except for four titles, all were Netflix rentals.

Sounds like option 3 to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
BD60 from Germany, bought two weeks ago, running firmware 1.9, hooked up via HDMI to a Samsung LE-55A959

I had several freezing issues, none of them were reproducable. All of them happened around 30 minutes into the movie.

Movies were (all UK versions and bought new):

Persepolis

Watchmen

The Dark Knight

Edit:

Had another freeze with Hellboy (UK), again about half an hour into the movie.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 /forum/post/16939023

I voted 3 but what made me pause(no pun intended) was that it wasn't reproducable. I believe I experiemced the freeze but I wouldn't say it was a disc problem.

Well it could have been a little speck of dust or smudge. That option I really just meant that it was so few, you could not be sure there was anything wrong with the player. I have never owned ANY disc player that did not skip/pause/freeze at least a couple times while I owned it. I have yet to own any "perfect" movie optical disc player.

·
Registered
891 Posts
i think a few options based on "#of BDs played so far" or "how long have you owned" would give us a better idea of the phenomenon; Just something to think of, as a lot of ppl experienced the freeze after playing 20 or so discs.

in my case:

BD60. FW 1.5: I voted "no freezes" but i have only played 8 BDs so far.

they were all Netflix BDs.

I have owned the BD60 since June.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 /forum/post/16939832

i think a few options based on "#of BDs played so far" or "how long have you owned" would give us a better idea of the phenomenon; Just something to think of, as a lot of ppl experienced the freeze after playing 20 or so discs.

I agree that is why I put this in the original post.

Quote:
Please vote then post which player you own, how long you have owned it, and if you have had the problems, a brief description of what you experienced.

That should pretty much cover it.

Basically just provide as much info as you can. I know I have not counted the exact # of discs I have played since I owned it but certainly >20.

·
Registered
60 Posts
BD-605 from Costco here. Updated to FW 1.9 last Friday.

Hooked up via component video cables to a Gateway plasma, analog audio cables to the TV, optical to a stereo H/K receiver.

I have not had any freezing so far. I've had it since the end of May.

I've watched 12-15 blu-rays on it, mostly Netflix rentals, but I'm not sure I've watched anything that other people have had freezing issues with.

The most recent discs I watched were:

Fast & Furious

Watchmen

Hellride

everything else has been out about a year.

Has anyone kept track of the discs, or has that already been ruled out?

Also, I will probably go over 20 discs this week, so I will update if I start getting a freeze. I will probably also return the player if that starts happening... gotta love that Costco return policy!

·
Registered
432 Posts

Quote:
Posted by TommyV: I have never owned ANY disc player that did not skip/pause/freeze at least a couple times while I owned it. I have yet to own any "perfect" movie optical disc player.

Then you have had a lot of bad luck. I have had skipping with poorly authored DVD-Rs, or skipping on a scratched-all-to-hell Netflix disc, and early laserdisc players, but none of my DVD players ever had a problem like the "random freeze" that was not a disc related problem.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 Brumaire /forum/post/16940101

Then you have had a lot of bad luck. I have had skipping with poorly authored DVD-Rs, or skipping on a scratched-all-to-hell Netflix disc, and early laserdisc players, but none of my DVD players ever had a problem like the "random freeze" that was not a disc related problem.

No, I think my luck is just fine and dandy

These disc players, if you keep them long enough will display some strange glitch at one time or another. Maybe your memory is failing you

The point is a random glitch that happens maybe once or twice a year max is not really a big deal IMO. I wish all electronics were that reliable. My only ones that have lasted year and years without issue were TVs, Tuners, preamps, processors, and amps. Optical disc players are much more finicky.

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
It's not about reliability. If there is a known glitch, it is a bug. And so far, BD60/80 has a proven record of glitch, not reliability issue. Even Panasonic itself admits it. Remember this is a new player we are talking about, not something that was purchased a year ago.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.t.k. /forum/post/16940007

Has anyone kept track of the discs, or has that already been ruled out?

Also, I will probably go over 20 discs this week, so I will update if I start getting a freeze. I will probably also return the player if that starts happening... gotta love that Costco return policy!

I have not heard any definitive answers to that but maybe we can nail something down with this thread. Just speculation at this point. Of course "java" discs are first to be blamed. I know new fox titles are notorious for giving all the BD players problems.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 /forum/post/16940900

It's not about reliability. If there is a known glitch, it is a bug. And so far, BD60/80 has a proven record of glitch, not reliability issue. Even Panasonic itself admits it. Remember this is a new player we are talking about, not something that was purchased a year ago.

What did Panasonic admit? Do you have a link?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was having freezing/signal drop problems, etc., when I first got the player, but I tried bypassing the HDMI video from the receiver directly to the TV and have had no problems since. It was a bug between the 60 and my Yamaha RX-V661.

I have had the player since May. It is hooked up to the Yamaha with toslink and to the Samsung HL-T5687 with HDMI. I watch both SD DVD and BR disks with no problems once I made the adjustment above.

I do not have it connected to the internet. I do have the memory chip installed. Running 1.7 at the moment, I believe.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.