AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is the problem with the 5k replays where you can get the "No Signal Detected" on every channel and line in.

The problem has been reported by at least 10 members here and I'm trying to help figure out anything common between the configurations.

If you have more than one unit with the problem please post a follow up message with the answers.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I've reproduced three common tuner complaints during testing of my

"no video signal" unit. I hadn't thought they were related but now

think they are related to the same problem. My other "good" units

never have these problems and they are connected to the same

cable source.

1) no video signal at all, switching channels immediately displays

"No video signal" blue screen without even seemingly making an attempt

to tune the channel. input1 and input2 have same problem

2) changing channels using internal tuner results displays "No video signal"

blue screen for a few seconds before finally tuning the channel

3) lots of wavy white static lines in tuned picture, similar to old-style

OTA antennae when there is interference.

I got these on successive reboots while trying to get rid of problem #1.

If you add all 3 of these problems up, I think this problem and root cause

have affected more people than we originally thought, since they all seem

related.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is there anyway to fix this? My mother seems to be getting a no signal on the Coax input. Short of me driving 6+ hours this weekend to go try to fix it for her. What's the best method? Reformat with 3-8-2 Zones?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
After the 5.1 upgrade the unit rebooted and voila! blue screen. I had a DirecTV box hooked into input 2.

Coldbooting and messing with other stuff would get me black screen with white scan lines and audio, never video. The minute I changed a channel, blue screen.

Some people said flipping through the channels a few rounds would correct it but I wasn't going to go through every channel on the satellite. After trying all other anectodal remedies I unplugged the sat from input 2, moved it to input 1, and it has worked ever since. I'm not saying that is the solution, it seemed like a fluke to me. However it has not happened since.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I assume you were also looking for responses from people who've seen this reoccurring on some/most channels as well. My current machine is great and has no tuning problems that I know of, but I made several posts about 6 months ago when I got 2 RMA's (1 refurb and 1 in new box) with "no video detected" blue screen issues. 1 had this problem on the infamous ch6 and the other box had this problem on every channel over 40ish (some more problematic than others). Neither had problems with the line-in. Anyway, I filled in the survey based on that experience.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by richardplenty
I had this problem once, just unplug your replay for a couple of minutes and when you restart everything will be ok, no need for a poll.
That's great for you but for some of us this not so little problem comes back.

I have a cable box on input one and DirecTV locals on the input 2 and the problem did not start until after the last update. I check this 5160 replay unit every morning now. My other box (also a 5160) has only a cable box connected and has not had this problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mine does it consistently after a cold restart (unplugged to move it, tinker with it, etc). I hold my breath every time I plug it back in hoping the problem goes away. Sometimes it only takes 2 shutdown, unplug and restarts, sometimes as many as 5. As long as I don't disconnect power, it's fine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My refurb had this problem after software upgrade. No matter what I did I could not correct it. I ended out having to take out a splitter that was upstream. I have not had the problem since.

I dont understand why this only occured after I had the software upgrade. It worked great for 3 months prior. Maybe just a coincidence, or is it possible that upgrade requires the signal to be of a little better quality.

Just guessing.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by richardplenty
I had this problem once, just unplug your replay for a couple of minutes and when you restart everything will be ok, no need for a poll.
There have been long discussions on this problem. This problem isn't the same as what you are seeing. The NSD carries across reboots and reconfigurations. It's a real ***** to get the box back to a working state.

I guess I should have added the "can't fix with reboot" to the title...

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The strange points for me are that Inputs don't show a signal, when there's no tuner related anything with the lines in. Sure they go directly into the TL-850 just like the tuner output so the problem may be after the tuner stage.

The software upgrade was something that happened to me. I was just curious if this was really a part of the puzzle.

For me the configuration was:

refurbed 5040

cable in on RF, Line 2 directv s-video

Restart after downloading 5.1 upgrade

an hour of reconfiguring, disconnecting/reconnecing inputs and other things didn't help. Something "dumb" fixed it, but I don't remember what that dumb thing was exactly.

I have noticed there are multiple rf-tuner settings on the 5k box. I also know a lot of tuner changes were done to get the missing channel poblem fixed. Snow could be a sign of mistuned channel.

Thanks for the help guys

The one that saw this on the 5500 was this a single channel poblem or the true all channel problem?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have 2 ReplayTVs - both refurbs. Both have analog cable in and digital cable box in Line 1.

This happens on 1 of my units anytime it loses power. The other unit does not do this when it loses power.

My units are on UPS - so losing power isn't an issue - so this really isn't really an issue except when I reorganize my video cabinet - or we lose power for 3 days (thanks to Isabel).

Clearing the channel guide - twice, sometimes works.

Unplugging everything and then plugging in the cable then the power - seems to work sometime.

Other than that - don't know why it happens.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Same here, I can reproduce this problem consistently on my refurbished 5k. The one I bought new has never experienced this problem.

I definitely know about holding one's breath while plugging it back in. Usually only takes me one or two restarts, but sometimes it takes a few more (very nervous) cold reboots.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by x8086x
Same here, I can reproduce this problem consistently on my refurbished 5k. The one I bought new has never experienced this problem.
I can reproduce this problem consistently on a new unit but not on a

refurbished one. What does that tell you? :)

The NSD problem always comes back if I leave the unit unplugged for

more than 30min (just like you folks have described).

What I need to do is warm reboot the unit a few times, forcing it to tune

as soon as possible during the boot sequence. Once it has gotten out of

the funk state, it'll stay working through soft-reboots and short 1-2 minute

cold reboots.

It is annoying to feel unsafe in the sense that if one has a longer power

outage while travelling a unit will no longer record even after the power

returns. Even with a UPS the power doesn't last indefinitely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.