AVS Forum banner

How neutral are you in your intended HD disc purchases?

• I will purchase "pure" Blu-Ray discs ONLY

Votes: 33 14.9%
  • I will purchase Blu-Ray and TotalHD discs but not HD-DVDs

Votes: 30 13.5%
  • I am format neutral: I will buy any HD discs!

Votes: 56 25.2%
  • I will purchase HD-DVDs and TotalHD discs but not Blu-Ray discs

Votes: 66 29.7%
  • I will purchase "pure" HD-DVDs ONLY

Votes: 37 16.7%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg /forum/post/0

That sums me up well. I will purchase the TotalHD discs due to word that eventually all Warner movies will be released this way along with movies from New Line and HBO.

Damn shame, as it forces somewhat of a dilemma on me. I refuse to support both formats as I feel in the long run we as consumers lose. Pick a format for whatever reasons you deem important and stick with it regardless of the possibility that you may lose in the long run is how I feel. It won't be the first time I've chosen incorrectly. (Want to see my AMIGAs?)

As a corollary - DON'T proselytize it in your sig in large coloured fonts as though you are waving a sign in my face (no slight on you btw) particularly since that tells you more about the poster than the thought expressed.

So recalcitrant that I am I can't even vote in this thread as there isn't a choice for I'm Not without picking a side.

ted

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I'd rather my money be split between the two formats when buying Warner, New Line, and HBO titles than not have their great catalogs in HD at all. As for Universal, I have faith they will join Blu-ray within 6-12 months.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted /forum/post/0

Pick a format for whatever reasons you deem important and stick with it regardless of the possibility that you may lose in the long run is how I feel.

If one is an HD DVD supporter then you are telling them the only major studios' movies they should buy would be those from Universal and Paramount. Those fans are limited enough content wise as it is IMO.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg /forum/post/0

I'd rather my money be split between the two formats when buying Warner, New Line, and HBO titles than not have their great catalogs in HD at all. As for Universal, I have faith they will join Blu-ray within 6-12 months.

With a clear winner all involved would be neutral anyway - well except perhaps for SONY and MICROSOFT.

Given how I think about this Dual Format dollars seem like a spoiled ballot - but I'm a contrarian.

btw I *have* made a choice and *do* vote with my dollars, I just hate what the tenor of discussion has become on AVS.

ted

·
Super Moderator
21,734 Posts
the reason I went format neutral was to be able to enjoy as many HD movies on optical disc as possible

so I voted: I am format neutral: I will buy any HD discs!

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Now that I'm officially in The Neutral Zone, I will buy the best disc for whatever movie or TV show I'm wanting. For instance, I bought Superman Returns on HD-DVD because it has the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack that the Blu-ray release lacks. I'm sure there will be instances where BD is better and I'll buy those instead. There are also going to be movies and TV shows that are only available on one format or another... so whoever gets me the goods wins.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, I guess I could have crammed in more options for the semi-neutral people, and the "I'm boycotting the whole mess" people, and so on. Sometimes with a simple poll like this you just have to pick the option which matches the closest.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin /forum/post/0

the reason I went format neutral was to be able to enjoy as many HD movies on optical disc as possible

so I voted: I am format neutral: I will buy any HD discs!

So you will purchase any HD disc avialable, no discretion? Not to mention the cost. As a consumer I can only purchase and view a limited number of discs. There are already many more available than I can hope to view let alone purchase and that delta will only grow.

Every time I purchase a disc I also vote for HD but I am singular format.

ted

·
Super Moderator
21,734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted /forum/post/0

So you will purchase any HD disc avialable, no discretion? Not to mention the cost. As a consumer I can only purchase and view a limited number of discs. There are already many more available than I can hope to view let alone purchase and that delta will only grow.

Every time I purchase a disc I also vote for HD but I am singular format.

ted

gee that is not what I said

I have Netflix: when I see a good disc I want for my collection, I buy it

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I think 2 options are missing. I prefer HD-DVD and will buy HD-DVD, but if something is only available on blu-ray I will buy it there. I don't consider myself format neutral but I do own both.

I would think that there are some in the blu-ray camp that feel the same as I do.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I voted for the HD DVDs and TotalHD, with one caveat: TotalHD discs are not over $25.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynxFX /forum/post/0

I'll considered TotalHD, if the cost is right, which it won't be. If it is the same, then we are being ripped off on discs that are only one format.

Good point. Sounds like TotalHD is a format that can't really win the hearts of HD disc fans no matter how it's priced. As you mentioned, if it's a higher price people will be ticked they have to pay more for the inclusion of a format they don't want. If it's the same price as normal discs they'll think they're getting ripped off on the regular one format discs. Yikes! You just made it clear to me that there will be even more complaining about the format war over the course of this year than there is now... I didn't think it could get much worse.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I can't stand this format war any longer. I hate the fact that I can't purchase any movie I want in high definition! That's why I've taken the stand to be format neutral, I just want to enjoy my movies in HD damn it!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.