AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,755 Posts
Would have never bought it. Just would have stayed with DirecTV (only), as Showtime-HD was not enough of an inducement for me.

·
Premium Member
12,981 Posts
Quote:
Would never have bought it, and would not have a Dish subscription
Ditto! The only reason I went to Dish was the freedom to record all HDTV channels. I may stay now that they have CBS HD and I may need that in a few months. If our new affil gets with the DTV program then I may drop Dish now that DTV has Showtime. Lots of options! and time changes my position as the options change. Whatever happens, if Dish kills my 5000 they will lose money from me until their PVR is released.

I don't mind admitting that I selected #4 because I do feel just about everything that can be said about the 5000 modulator has been said now.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Not doubled up my HBO and Showtime subscriptions by adding Dish.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Wouldn't have bought it in the first place and wouldn't subscribe to Dish.

Frank

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Lets see, I had a 6000 before I bought several 5000/mod systems from a local store. I then sold my 6000 along with the rest of 5000/mods to several members of AVS at reasonable prices. That will be too much to list as an option on the poll.

Like most everyone else said, DTC100 (at $250 from my local store) beats 6000 every which way if HD programming is the same.

·
Registered
800 Posts
WCBS-DT is an OTA channel for me, and East and West feeds of HBO-HD and Showtime-HD have been available for a couple of years on C-band. The Dish Net demo channel is a 7-minute loop and unimportant, plus it's available in the clear with the Unity Motion receiver. And one HD PPV movie per week is hardly an incentive.

The only compelling reason for me to have Dish Net is the recording capability. If they remove that I have no reason to maintain yet another duplicate set of subscriptions to HBO and Showtime with Echostar.

If a PVR comes along so that their content continues to be recordable, then that's another story. But even then, unless it allows archiving of movies to tape, it might not be worth it to me. A few hours of HD timeshifting capability is not going to be enough.

That said, the providers' HD offerings and hardware are changing all the time, and every change prompts a re-evaluation. But if my 5000+modulator ceased working today, I'd have no reason to remain a Dish subscriber (today).

·
Registered
729 Posts
Would never have bought the half assed spit and bailing wire system. I would have Direct TV with HD net and now ShoHD. Show HD is lame, but that is a rant for another time.

BTW, I payed for Sat. overnight FedX for one of the first units shipped, and put the dish up on my roof in the dark, because I could not wait to record HD. I recorded Titanic in HD before it was out on DVD.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.