AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as I suspected the DirecTiVo box I received will new a special programable chip developed to insert SAV/EAV or basically convert bt601 to bt656. There will be cost to develop the code for this, set up a run for PCBs, and the cost of the PCBs themselves. The net of it is I will be charging an additional $200, for a total of $725, to modify DirecTivo units if there is enough interest.

So, how many are interested?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Strade
Well, as I suspected the DirecTiVo box I received will new a special programable chip developed to insert SAV/EAV or basically convert bt601 to bt656. There will be cost to develop the code for this, set up a run for PCBs, and the cost of the PCBs themselves. The net of it is I will be charging an additional $200, for a total of $725, to modify DirecTivo units if there is enough interest.

So, how many are interested?
i thought the cost of those boards were 100.00 and for the programmable logic array another 6.00? You mean it costs that much more to make them yourself? 725.00 a little to steep for me, especially when maybe in a year or year anda half it might not work any more, (merger) not critizing at all, just letting you know what i think, thanks

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I don't know how to vote, my choice wouldn't be on there. It's a very intriguing idea, but I don't think I'd pull the trigger until I've finished building the rest of my HT. I've already committed to going down the SDI road, though.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Tom,

Im a couple of months from picking out equipment- but as of now my plan is to go with a digital projector, some kind of scaler like rock or leeza that takes sdi in and dvi out. hence sdi out on a dss box would be excellent for me. I have no objection to the price youre talking about.

now- is it possible to get hd-sdi out of the hdtv part? :) how about modding the panny combo to have sdi out?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally posted by theprophe

i thought the cost of those boards were 100.00 and for the programmable logic array another 6.00? You mean it costs that much more to make them yourself? 725.00 a little to steep for me, especially when maybe in a year or year anda half it might not work any more, (merger) not critizing at all, just letting you know what i think, thanks

I don't "make the boards" I have them made for me - so my cost is a heck of a lot higher than you've guessed. Thanks for the honest feedback.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Tom,

You should post something about this in the DirecTiVO forum with an explanation of what SDI is and its use with scalers with SDI input.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Tom,

I have SDI and Vigatec and I understand and appreciate its impact on my D-ILA theater. But DTivo (and I have one) does not do HD. Most non-HD DSS is not really suitable for large screens (that is clearly an opinion and probably arguable). Therefore, for me, unless I wanted to move the Vigatec into another room to support a 32 inch direct view (which does a fine job on svideo), where does SDI-out help? These are my thoughts in the context of your post---a poll. On the other hand, it is probably true ( I have not actually seen SDI out of DTivo) that it is marginally better.

Vince

Being my own devil's advocate for a second, if I had a multi-SDI Dune and a moderately sized screen, it might just be a significant valued-added modification.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I would do it if it could be done to a toshiba DST 3000 , without hessatation. let me know if you will offer SDI for that unit.

thanks

carlos

·
Registered
282 Posts
"Did you look at the Sony T60 or Phillips DSR6000? Do they both use the same hardware?"

The main board is identical, so the modification should be, too.

Paul
(who used to work in TiVo's engineering group)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ouch! Don't watch enough or think highly enough of the programming on DSS to seriously consider it. It looks like the DVD modification is better value for my viewing habits.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm interested (though just starting to put my home theater together. The problem with this is that I've got no idea what the outcome of it all will be. I expect I'll be using a DVD drive in the HTPC, so the only signal that would be SDI is the DirecTivo. So that's $400 for the board and $725 for the Tivo mod.

Will the result be a night-and-day experience -- especially for NFL/NHL/MLB -- compared to svideo into the HTPC? If so, I'd say it's worth it to me. If it is an incremental change -- you can see it if you are looking for it, but it's easy to forget if you aren't, then I'd say it isn't.

I guess I'm hoping there is enough positive feedback so that the mods get done and some people post their results. I'm afraid $1125 is too much for me to be a guinea pig....

Geoff Sherwood

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Aerialman,

Do I understand you correctly, thr Rock and Leeza output a DVI signal? And are there any PJs now or in the near future (6-8 mo) that take DVI in?

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Tom:

I have asked the question many times and so have many others.

What impact will the SDI modification have on DSS?

When that question is answered than I can vote

LJG

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't seen it myself. But I have heard that it is a marginal, but noticeable improvement. I don't think that you'll see as big a difference as you would with DVD though. DSS just has too much compression to benefit as much as DVD does IMO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If, like me, you are using dscaler and an htpc I would hope the improvement would be dramatic--no more noise from bad analog captures. For regular scalers with high quality a/d conversion perhaps it would be less dramatic.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I read about the possibility of SDI DirecTivo over in the HTPC forum, and that is where a signup is going on with regards to DVD SDI mods. There was a mention of the possibility of DirecTivo mods, but nothing more.

I literally stumbled across this thread due to an unrelated search I was doing. There is a lot of interest with regards to SDI in HTPC, especially with the new prototype card being available and the signups for the DVD SDI mods -- yet the poll for DirecTivo is over here only....

Might I suggest that a poll be run in that venue as well if you really want to gauge interest?

Geoff Sherwood

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'll definately want this (definately!), but would want a testimonial or two, or at least some screenshots showing the difference. I'm currently running the output of my DTivo (SAT-T60) through a Hauppauge WinTV capture card, and am using DScaler. The image is eminently watchable - by no means too crappy to view. But, it isn't as good as the same DSS source fed through the scaler in my RCA DTC-100, and I think the problem is the noise generated by the A/D and pass through on the WinTV card. The DScaler image is noisy - it has what looks like heat-waves going up the screen.

I still use the Tivo most of the time, even though the image is inferior, because I don't want to give up the Tivo's functionality. But, I miss the superior image quality of the RCA STB.

So, I suspect there will be a big difference passing the image digitally to DScaler, but would want some proof.

Thanks!

- Dave

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.