AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this pole to give the card manufacturers information on the market for cards for the current 3rd Generation Pioneer Plasmas (503cmx, 1000HD, 433cmx).

Recent threads have indicated that the manufacturers may be focusing on all new cards being for 4th generation only

·
Registered
888 Posts
Chris,

So far a total of 5 votes. I tried this in January and only 54 responses. January Pioneer 5002 Replacement Preference Poll Results. Lets see if we can do better this time around, although I am not sure it is going to do any good. Good Luck and glad I am not the only one frustrated by this.

·
Registered
888 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I voted for the second choice, but I don't think it accurately reflects what I would like. I would like a card that has DVI/HDCP, including 480p and 720p and 1080i and native rate, and doesn't do any D/A conversions for 480p and 720p and 1080i.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Does anyone else hear the sound of taps playing in the background...

·
Registered
694 Posts
I haven't voted yet.

I have an A303 and am reasonably happy.

Would I like more card options? yes

Would I like more "boxed" options? Absolutely

What specific options do I want? I don't know exactly. I"m not sure I could fully appreciate NR, I know my wife certainly won't. I think a media box and scalermate would be my long term solution for my 503.

Is there a choice in the poll that fits me?

Lew

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With scaling DVD players out now. NR is not only about external scalers. What is you want to purchase a DVD player that will actually scale and output 1280x720. All future DVD players with DVI are going to require HDCP. Therefore, if we want the DVD player to send native rate to the plasma then we need a NR card.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Therefore, if we want the DVD player to send native rate to the plasma then we need a NR card.
My concern is that DVI DVD players (and future HD devices, i.e. HD-DVD) by the major manufacturers will not scale to native rates; The Samsung doesn't, but the Bravo does, and I don't believe that anybody has gotten the Bravo to work using the scaled output with a Pioneer plasma.

I know that a lot of people think a simple HDCP card and an external scaler is the way to go, and in theory I agree with this. However, when it comes down to actually buying the stuff, if the card costs $400 and the scaler costs $1000, I am going to have to think very hard about it.

I am a 433 owner.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would think the Bravo would work with the 5002 card - its just that the timings would have to be figured out.

I thought about buying one but have heard such bad things about the build quality it steered me away. Probably most of the people who are knowledgable about getting the timings straight (of which I am not one) have steered away from it as well.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jflegert
My concern is that DVI DVD players (and future HD devices, i.e. HD-DVD) by the major manufacturers will not scale to native rates; The Samsung doesn't, but the Bravo does, and I don't believe that anybody has gotten the Bravo to work using the scaled output with a Pioneer plasma.

I know that a lot of people think a simple HDCP card and an external scaler is the way to go, and in theory I agree with this. However, when it comes down to actually buying the stuff, if the card costs $400 and the scaler costs $1000, I am going to have to think very hard about it.

I am a 433 owner.
Your thoughts are well founded; however, assuming we ever see a KD Card and the ASR-44, these cards are in the $2,000+ category which means you are married to the display for quite sometime. The one plus of the external scaler is that you could use it on another display. With the advent of multiple DVI/HDMI devices the use of an external box offers a lot more flexibility than a card alone. Everyones needs are different, but multiple DVI inputs and HDCP should be a factor for everyone shortly. The easiest way to accomplish this is with a two part system.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Loker
I would think the Bravo would work with the 5002 card - its just that the timings would have to be figured out.

I thought about buying one but have heard such bad things about the build quality it steered me away. Probably most of the people who are knowledgable about getting the timings straight (of which I am not one) have steered away from it as well.
Chris,

I have come close to ordering one on several occasions just to play with and see if I can get it working, but the problems and build quality have kept me from doing so. Even though it is only $200, I do not feel like getting aggravated because I believe you get what pay you for. I mean aggravated in the sense of lockups, bad loaders, dirty lasers, not trying to figure the timings out. With a little work and translation from powerstrip, it should be able to be accomplished. I'm lucky that I have had very few problems with my HTPC; however, as good as it is I still would like the simplicity of a stand-alone player. Having lived with DVI NR I can not go back.

·
Registered
888 Posts
What do we do now, give up?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually - Paul has been hinting for us not to give up hope. It sounds like he does have another card up his sleeve.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Chris,

We have nothing but hints and non-deliverables to go on. Actions speak louder than words. Look at the history of this subject. If there were some reasonable solution, we would have it already. I think the approach taken to try and resolve the issue is flawed and Pioneer has been smart enough to address it with the next generation.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Hey Chris I just hooked up my Sammy 567DLP. You can not believe how good my HD D* and my local HD broadcasts look going in via DVI with NR pass-through. Not trying to stir up anything but it is a big difference than running it through my 503 via DVI with the A303 card. I also hooked up a Sammy HD931 DVD player and run it via DVI into the Sammy at 720P (display's native rate), the picture is STUNNING and very very close to HD PQ. There is no question, NR pass-through is the only way to appreciate the benifits of DVI. I have had NO issue what so ever with my Sony HD200 and DVI via the DLP. You know I have always boasted about the superb PQ with my HD200 via component on my 503 and have thought it superior to DVI. Well that superb component PQ on my HD200 just got better via DVI on my DLP. I can only imagine what the 504 will look like when it can do NR via DVI.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
You can not believe how good my HD D* and my local HD broadcasts look going in via DVI with NR pass-through.
Isn't a more accurate statement an all digital pathway; I assume you are refering to at least a few 1080i stations.

For me, this raises the question on the definition of "NR pass-through". I always thought the definition was: the ability to send a signal to the display that is the display's native rate. Is this correct, or is a better defintion: the ability to pass a signal that is the native rate of the display and the ability to pass a signal that is the native rate of the source? Or is my "better" definition mixing up a definition with a goal?

Thanks,

John Flegert

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.