AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I was wondering what people are doing to view non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs (besides not buying/renting them, of course http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ). On my Cinema 13HD (which I'll be giving a review of soon) the only way I have to bring it up to the size of the screen is to use the projector's zoom mode, which obviously looks rather nasty. Otherwise, it stays formatted to a 4:3 frame, letterboxed. I'm using a Toshiba SD6200 progressive output for the source.

I'd like to know if people are using an external scaler and getting good results, or some other electronic method (obviously, one could use a lens or move the projector, I'm trying to avoid these).

Thanks everyone!

Jim

------------------

Jim

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I will add that YxY is a vital tool in doing so.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HTPC is one option I've been considering. The projector does have a 15pin VGA input (no DVI) as well as component RGB. It would be interesting to see if anyone can share their experience with a DVD player/external scaler combo (if this works decently at all) so I have another option to consider.

------------------

Jim

·
Registered
855 Posts
I use an external scaler to make everything 1024x768 for my LT 150. It works fine for anamorphic and non-anamorphic material. I feed it from laserisc, DVD and (yuck!) cable.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
460 Posts
A large number of PLV-60 owners, including myself, are using the Panasonic RP91 DVD player. This DVD player will scale non-anamorphic DVDs to anamorphic. This allows you to keep your projector in Full mode. The scaling on the DVD player is very good, much better than I had anticipated.

Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.