Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am saddened by such comments as this:

"And the biggie--what most of you have been waiting for as this projector supposedly kills the rainbow effect. Well, it doesn't guys....it does make it much better though. I would say 75% of the rainbows are gone which leaves me very disappointed. I watched MI2 last night, and still saw rainbows every few minutes. They are definitely rainbows too, as I see RGBRGB ones. They seem to be a little smaller however. Any scene with candles, and you still have them, although reduced. 2 other people were in the room and still saw them. If you take your eyes away for the screen, you definitely see them. Maybe I have a defective unit? Who knows....if what I am seeing is right, the Sharp unit would make me weary as well."

This was regarding the Seleco 200DM, with RGBRGB. Just to explain why I bring this up again, I have been waiting and waiting for the Rainbow Salvation, in hopes of finally moving to DLP. However, many an LCD projectors have passed by, which will eventually drop to a reasonable price, and then there is always the upcoming Sony11HT.

So, in attempt to see how those who've seen RGBRGB or better colour wheels, or faster ones, reacted, like the above quotee, I have started this thread.

Hopefully, whenever someone does see the rainbow effect on the 6 segmenters, just let us know here.

The biggest problem with the rainbow is that it is not something that is always apparent. It can just start occuring. It is a shame really, because even if I did buy one, I would always be waitinng for the day that I would finally find the rainbows on the projector. Sure, this is pessimistic, but it is starting to worry me.

In the worst case, which is a misnomer, because it isn't bad at all, I will scrounge for an LCD.

So, in closing, please, if you can, keep this updated, especially those who have the opportunity to see the Sharp Z9000, to let those of use waiting on the fence to jump or not.

Thanks

------------------

David Mendicino

Sharp xv-s55u (Don't laugh) :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
David,

Since you are quoting me, you might want to check out my 2nd post. I think Seleco has eliminated 85-90% of the rainbows in my setup....with a grey screen in the works, this hopefully will be moot. When I watched the Mummy last night, I would see one every 10 minutes or so. The rainbows arent as bad as rgbw setups...they are much quicker and smaller, and so you don't get bothered as much. Obviously, I am very sensitive. My girlfriend has only seen one with the new machine (in the credits), and she was worse than me on the HT200. Now that I have watched a few movies, I am noticing them less and less...the picture quality just overwhelms me at this point. I am hopefully going to a forum members' apartment tomorrow, who has a great setup with 92" Gray Hawk. Will report back....

Cheers,

Keith

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keith,

I appologize for my poor etiquete, as I should have posted your name with the quote. Sorry about that.

While you seem optimistic, for myself, even 10% is not good enough. Especially considering the case that I, and others, I'm sure, will not be purchasing a GreyHawk screen.

Now, if we only had the technical ability to make an RGBRGBRGBRGBRGBRGB http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif colour wheel then that would be truly amazing. I do have hope for that new SCR wheel (the scrolling colour one), however that seems a long ways away.

I look forward to hearing your remarks about your viewing at the forum members place.

As one member stated, and I dont' remember so I can't give a name, he said somethign along the lines of that the best projector is one in which you can't really tell it's there. He mentioned the lack of motion artifacts, etc...but especially the rainbow effect. No matter how good or bad your projector is, there comes a point where you forget about it, and indulge in the movie.

From my experiences with DLP, this just can't happen, when you see rainbow flashes around the screen. Even once every 10 minutes is enough to run that.

And I don't want to have to explain to my guests what is going on, so they don't think they are going crazy.

Thanks again for your response though, I look forward to any continuing input from you, and the rest of the forum members.

------------------

David Mendicino

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a quote from KeithR, updating his info on the Seleco 200DM:

Update on the rainbow--

Well, I went out and bought some black felt and gray fabric (almost matched the gray hawk sample i have), and popped it up. Rainbows decreased even more....like some have said. The felt masking made a tremendous difference on the picture as well...the halo will not be missed.

Then, decided to pop in Avia to see how white and black levels are...well, I found the problem. My contrast was way too high...dropped it from 50 to 39 using the pattern, and this my friends has made 99% of the rainbows vanished. I guess what happened, as a forum member pointed out, was that my whites were way to bright for the small 60" temporary setup I have.

I watched Sleepy Hollow, and didn't see a rainbow...popped in Gladiator I was so happy. I think I saw 2 possibly in chapter 24---they were so fast though, I am not sure if it was a rainbow or my contacts adjusting (kind of like glare). I didn't see any in the dreamworks opening *(that moon used to be a killer) or in the first battle scene as before. Put in MI2, and couldn't see one in chapter 3 (flamenco dancing scene) I watched the credits and the fbi warnings...didn't see them. Whatever, now I am a happy camper. I even setup NTSC on this pj, and haven't seen a rainbow yet. I hear it is worse on Comp/S Vid inputs, but still haven't seen it.

------------------

David Mendicino

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I'd say take a look at all of the projectors that will be using TI's new .8 HD1 DMD chip (1280 x 720 w/DM3).

That chip, along with the faster color wheels it allows should spell the end of the rainbow problems for all of us..

-- Cain

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.