AVS Forum banner

When will the analog shutdown in fact take place?

• February 2009

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • March 2009

• April 2009

• May 2009

• June 2009

• July 2009

• August 2009 or later

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

• February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009 or later

·
Registered
22,881 Posts
Other than wasting taxpayers money the longer they drag this out... you should add a selection for "Who Cares?"

·
Registered
153 Posts
i hate to say this but i heard in other forums that congress will ask for a month extension

I say get it over with next month and be done!

·
Registered
22,881 Posts
Oh good... another 30 days will resolve all of the issues.

Fish or cut bait.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts
Where's the 'Who in the hell knows?' option?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15511771

Where's the 'Who in the hell knows?' option?

Agreed.

During this peculiar delay, could Congress and the FCC force full-power analogs to cut their transmission power by 75% or even 90%? This would at least be a step in the direction of an analog "phaseout".

Which parts of the channel 52-69 frequencies have NOT yet been auctioned off? If any of these channels haven't yet been sold, keep them for use as a "low-power analog ghetto" while booting all of the analogs from channels 7-51.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy /forum/post/15512154

Agreed.

During this peculiar delay, could Congress and the FCC force full-power analogs to cut their transmission power by 75% or even 90%? This would at least be a step in the direction of an analog "phaseout".

Which parts of the channel 52-69 frequencies have NOT yet been auctioned off? If any of these channels haven't yet been sold, keep them for use as a "low-power analog ghetto" while booting all of the analogs from channels 7-51.

Quite a few channels (both analog and digital) are at half power already... they have taken half of their transmitter offline in order to modify it for digital operation. In Raleigh, WNCN is at half power on their analog channel while converting the other half of the transmitter to digital. WRAL is on half power on their pre transition digital channel and on a side mounted auxiliary (directional) antenna. They have changed their main antenna (completed about 2 weeks ago) and are converting half their transmitter for the new frequency. Quite a few viewers are not getting coverage because these two channels were in the final phase of transition preperation. Delaying the transition will extend the problem...... Is that fair?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think this is just all political posturing. I think that once all of the TV stations complain to their affiliated networks, the networks will change their tune.

I think it will still happen as scheduled.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
It may happen de facto unless a law is passed REQUIRING them to stay up - talk about unfunded mandate !

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
For 6-7% of the population who are being A) ignorant B) thinking it's not going to happen - let them watch static.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper /forum/post/15513132

For 6-7% of the population who are being A) ignorant B) thinking it's not going to happen - let them watch static.

And here's the real joke: is the government going to pay antenna installers to help little old ladies in the boonies put nice shiny new CM 4228s on their roofs in order to pick up the majority of the fancy signals?

Because the converter box is hardly the big problem for most OTA folks. For most of us, the real grief is the damned antenna.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For me, it's not really going to matter very much whether it goes on schedule or not. I live in an area served by translators. I have six stations total. Five networks and a local LP station. One of the network translators, ABC, is already transmitting in digital as well as analog, and will shift to digital only.

My NBC station is still awaiting approval from the FCC and Mexican authorities, for near border operations. They have files a second application with the FCC for a reduced footprint that doesn't require international approval. According to the station website, if one of the plans doesn't get approved, they will just pull the plug and close up shop.

The other three translators will remain analog for the forseeable future, as will the local LP station.

Shift or don't shift, it doesn't matter to me except for the possibility of losing one of my stations.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek7300 /forum/post/15513069

I think this is just all political posturing. I think that once all of the TV stations complain to their affiliated networks, the networks will change their tune.

I don't think the networks give a hoot about their affiliates. After all, it was the networks that schmoozed the "Change" guy into office and they're not about to stop their pandering now. Besides, so long as their O&O stations provide a signal to DirecTV and Dish Network and cable in the largest DMAs, they really couldn't care less. I truly think they're that arrogant, or scared.

Quote:
I think it will still happen as scheduled.

That's how I voted. I think this is a lot of hot air and posturing to placate a certain constituency. When the cold hard numbers come out next week from all concerned, I have a feeling this will quiet down the "Change" people a lot.

·
Registered
748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv2000 /forum/post/15510570

i hate to say this but i heard in other forums that congress will ask for a month extension

I say get it over with next month and be done!

There already is sort of a one month extension. Just before Christmas a law passed, Analog Nightlight, that authorized some analog stations to air messages about the transition for 30 days past Feb. 17th.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
extending will only cost the stations double or more the power bill. Plus it increases carbon foot print of the station, which I thought was a high priority also?

They knew if you google past congressional stuff because I saw it on C-SPAN, they knew 2 years ago or more, there was not enough converter money.

They set the dead line, now do it. I already know a few people that are actually getting rid of their old TV instead of bothering. Now I find that odd.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammer /forum/post/15548121

There already is sort of a one month extension. Just before Christmas a law passed, Analog Nightlight, that authorized some analog stations to air messages about the transition for 30 days past Feb. 17th.

That extension can't be used by all stations, though. They're still required to clear out of the 52 to 69 range and can't interfere with post-transition DT operations. So if you're running a station with an out-of-core channel as either your analog or digital, you're probably not going to be able to take advantage of this.

But I believe the commission is hoping at least one station per market will leave the night light on to tell the procrastinators where all the TV went.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper /forum/post/15513132

You got that right let them
, see snow. I forked out a lot of cash over the last 6 years on antennas, tuners, coax, rotors and LCD tv's. If they ain't ready by now too bad.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
There was no option for "January 2009". That's when it was scheduled here in Hawaii, Jan. 15, and that's when it happened, yesterday.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts