AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a market for Pay Per View if you can't record it?

Do you currently watch PPV MOVIES (not special events) and DON'T record it for your library?

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
112 Posts
I watch PPV movies all the time without recording them. The caveat is that I also subscribe to HBO, Showtime, etc, so anything out in PPV will inevitably be out on one or more of these channels anyway.

------------------

PC Boards Repaired Here!

-- (Ignore the Name) --

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I have not watched pay-per-view since I obtained HD (using HDD200). Since there is no consumer affordable recording method, I have recorded anything! Prior to that, I always taped PPV movies so that I could watch them at my convenience, stop it when the kids got up, etc. If I weren't able to do so, I would not purchase them at all.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Well, I've already stated my preference in this thread , but for the record, all of the PPV events that I've ordered I recorded for later viewing. Since HD became available, however, and no easy way to record it has been provided by the CE manufacturers, I've simply stopped ordering PPV events.

If I could record them, I probably would order PPV movies in HD, since it would correct the poor scheduling currently available on DTV.

------------------
ABC = Another Boring Channel. Watch CBS on Monday Nights!

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'll chime in myself. I've only watched ppv for special events. I buy dvd's for my movie watching, and watch hbo-hd is its something interesting

------------------

Alex

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Up to this year I recorded PPV on JVC S-Vhs E.T. for archival storage. Best ever The Bee Gees One Night Only Concert at the MGM Grande in Las Vegas Nevada. I now have that one great concert the guys from Austrailia the brothers Gibb. They have a special to late brother Andy Gibb who died of a heart attack, and his son who looks almost exactly like him on DVD. I would recomend this DVD to any Bee Gee Fan, running time 90 full of songs minutes. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
With the exception of College Bowl Games (and then only for my team) I haven't made any recordings of aired video material since the late eighties. I've watched one or two movies on DTV PPV before getting the DTC-100, been tempted a couple of times on 199, but never ordered an HD PPV.

If I had a videotape setup for HD and could do so, I still would probably only record live events of interest. For me, DVD is a more cost-effective, reliable avenue to enjoying movies I really like. I have at least a half dozen DVDs sitting in the HT waiting to be opened and watched, but no time yet.

The busy lifestyles we lead definitely push me towards the necessity of time-shifting, and I'd probably be a good candidate for an HD TIVO, when it's released.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't watch that many PPV shows, but I never record them. If I really like the movie I prefer to buy the DVD. I think even with HDTV recording I would prefer to buy HD-DVDs of movies I wanted to own copies of (assuming of course HD-DVDs become available).

About the only time I record anything is to time-shift a sporting event.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
No PPV without the ability to record it at full resolution for me.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
I do occasionally watch HD PPV events on Dish (better sound than DirecTV), but have no way to record. I paused during the last (and final) HD adapter for the 5000 sale at DishDepot believing (aside from the other piece parts at premium prices) that they could throw the switch on the 5000 at any time and I would be out of business. I keep telling myself there will be some DVHS recorders out via a Dish card or with the newer sets within the year, and maybe even a Dish PVR in 02. We'll see what the copy protection constraints are (but I am not a zealot on that like I am on OAR).

I can dream can't I.

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
I first must admit I have rarely watched a PPV movie. If/when I did, however, I will always record it since I am willing to bet right in the middle of the exciting climax the phone will ring or the neighbor will stop by to borrow something. Then when you are back to the movie you are left wondering what happened and how it ended, and I would not pay to see it again to find out. I don't really collect many movies since in most cases, seeing them once or twice is enough for me. As for concerts, if the group is the right one, I would consider it a keeper, but I have only seen one or two worth recording. If I couldn't record it in full resolution if it was in HD, I wouldn't bother buying it. Sorry to all the Hollywood folks looking for that extra PPV money for everything, but if programming ends up as pay per viewing (like a DIVX), I just won't watch. Too many other options. And as for their concern that I will record something and 'sell it' to my neighbors or sell dozen copies on the street corner, I am not going to do that either, too much trouble.

------------------

jm in Boulder

[This message has been edited by JMartinko (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
695 Posts
If I'm thinking about buying a dvd of a film that I haven't seen in the theater (haven't seen at all, actually), I'll order it on PPV to see if it's worth the investment to buy the dvd. It's easier than going down to Blockbuster to rent the dvd, and I only want to get a sense for the movie to determine if I want to buy the dvd.

Now, HD-PPV is a whole different ballgame. My current MOO (Mode Of Operation) is to watch PPV in lower resolution then move up in resolution with the purchase of the dvd. If the PPV is in HD, there's nowhere else to go.

With HD, I'm more likely to want to record it HD, if I had the equipment to do so.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I always record, for certain PPV movies. If that is disabled, I wouldn't bother with sat or cable at all. It would be cheaper for me to just buy dvd's of what I wanted.

I generally record movies I would otherwise not buy anyways!

ie: If I know it is a good movie I want to keep I often just wait and buy the dvd. (This is temporarily modified since I can record HDTV and can't buy HDTV dvd's yet!)

I use ppv movies for shows I think I might like, but not sure, or movies I know I want to see but likely only once. These I record in case it is good (lots of these never make it to dvd at all!), or just in case I need to time shift.

So the net effect of Hollywood's new plans, if there are other viewers like me, is that their revenues will drop and the sat and cable companies will go out of business. If OTA is affected, that will also fail. I won't watch what I can't record! (I won't use E-books either.)

And the "unknown" movies, will have an even harder time of being successful, since I won't be seeing them. Many of these I record, and then get the dvd later, and reuse the tape, currently.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.