AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate any advice that you may have for me. I'm definitely a noob that needs the following in an HT for my condo:

- smaller than bookshelf :mad: - WAF issues

-

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
DVD player choice depends on what kind of display you have.

Can't go wrong with the Micras or Tykes.

I have Micras and a refurb'd Onkyo 602 receiver for less than $400 total.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would prefer to put the money towards the

1. 5.1

2. receiver

3. dvd player

in that order. Our TV is pretty old and I'm not looking to upgrade it anytime soon, so the DVD isn't that important - but I love good sound!!!

Did you hear the tykes and micras and then opt for micras? Thanks

·
Registered
804 Posts
Athena Micra6 all the way

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have the Athena Micra 6 and it's a fantastic package, though I haven't heard them against the Tykes. Both of these seem to be regarded quite nicely here. I have mine paired with the Onkyo TX-SR502 and, for the price, couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Presonaly compared both - Onkyo HT-L970 and Yamaha YHT-760 and settled on the Onkyo as to my ears the sound is a lot better some what richer and deeper sound + it is 6.1 as well as has lots of Video inputs (not to mention a S-video => component upscaler) and can be customized alot.

It has both Movie and CD setings on the reciver plus as well it play mp3s! and with 6 CD/DVD changer you can have a good portion of your libray loaded (it even plays DVD full of MP3 songs)

Good luck with your selection..

·
Registered
12 Posts
I decided upon the Athena Micra 6 package and bought one without hearing it because of all the good reviews on this site and I am thrilled at the sound quality. I have it connnected to an Onkyo TXSR602 reciever. Check Amazon.com for the speakers $249.00 right now, and look on Ubid.com or ecost.com for a reciever, you can pick up a remanufactured unit for about half price of new. Mine came from ubid and looks brand new. I got it for $232.00 total. I am not much for boxed sets like the onkyo or yamaha, I have always felt like you get better quality when you buy things individually, imho.

Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.