AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15571168

Don't you already have the same poll running on the LCD forum?

Yep... this thread directs ppl to it. There's only one poll.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I'm curious. You are new to HD and admit that you have never owned an HDTV. So, as you read through these forums what are you thinking about for when you finally decide to venture into the world of HD? Do you like plasma or LCD? Any manufacturer's products that you like? Size? What your eventual timeframe to finally make your first purchase? What going to help you make a decision?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ I'm curious too.

In a different thread, you quizzed me about my background/interest in HD. I explained to you that I had a number of friends who were HD enthusiasts, and that I worked in the video game industry, with displays in my face all day (yes, usually HD).

Yet, despite my volunteering of information, you continue to ask me questions, and seem to jump into a lot of my poll threads to ask if they're appropriate.

Perhaps there's a question behind your questions? Seems like there might be.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson /forum/post/15571685

The correct answer is :

A 50" HDTV , you should sit 8' away or closer.

But only if it's a 1080p HDTV

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson /forum/post/15571685

The correct answer is :

A 50" HDTV , you should sit 8' away or closer.

Well I just hope it is not too much of a strain for eyes&brain. I am watching TH-46PY85P (46" Panny 1080P) from 300 centimeters (a bit less then 10 feet and I worry if it is not too close). But I am pretty sure you are right since I didn't experience any headaches yet when watching and eyestrain is quite less then on Sony CRT KV-29FS60D (29 inch screen) viewed from 280 cm distance. (But then again CRT did tend to cause a lot of eyestrain due to different projection technology).

Both are/were set to lower brightness too.

Sorry I did remember now that I did (and still do) experience altogether different type of headache...when I see how bad SD content over air antenna looks on this (and 99% of 46" TVs) LOL. But that has nothing to do with eye strain :p . 12 feet distance FTW in this case (and change to good DIGITAL provider if u can ...I sure still can't
).

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Ha, I firmly believe "viewing distance" is the VIDEO equivalent of "loudspeaker preference".

Unbelievably subjective.

Personally, I just sold a 46" XBR that always seemed a BIT small from 10-12 feet. It was fine most of the time, but still left me with a yearning, especially for sports and movies. Almost daily, I regretted not getting the 52".

Now, I'm getting a 60" Pioneer within the week, and I'm sure it'll inititally be fantastic...until I'm saying it could be a BIT bigger in two weeks!

Really, I think it'll be spectacular!

IMHO, if you're ten plus feet out, go as big as you can and don't look back.

James

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Any problems with a 60 Kuro viewed from 6 ft away.Is this asking for eye problems and headaches?Im torn between a 50 of 60 at 6 ft distance.In the store standing pretty close to the 60 looks great but thats for a very limited time.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/15602894

Ha, I firmly believe "viewing distance" is the VIDEO equivalent of "loudspeaker preference".

Unbelievably subjective.

Personally, I just sold a 46" XBR that always seemed a BIT small from 10-12 feet. It was fine most of the time, but still left me with a yearning, especially for sports and movies. Almost daily, I regretted not getting the 52".

Now, I'm getting a 60" Pioneer within the week, and I'm sure it'll inititally be fantastic...until I'm saying it could be a BIT bigger in two weeks!

Really, I think it'll be spectacular!

IMHO, if you're ten plus feet out, go as big as you can and don't look back.

James

I think I agree

46" seemed so huge when I bought it but now after 8 days . (from 29, I even had crappy 20" Samsung CRT while my 29" Sony was being repaired; before I gave up on it and moved to HD ).

Though I would add that You should be sure that you never experience a headache or more then minimal eyestrain even when watching for the first time (I know people say that they get used to it later, but just to be as sure as You can from health perspective your new TV should never cause you headache/ or more then minimal eyestrain).

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 /forum/post/15603092

Any problems with a 60 Kuro viewed from 6 ft away.Is this asking for eye problems and headaches?Im torn between a 50 of 60 at 6 ft distance.In the store standing pretty close to the 60 looks great but thats for a very limited time.

I think even manufacturers would think that is too close (I think recommended distance for my 46" 1080P Panny is 6.25 feet).

Are You sure it doesn't cause you ANY and I mean any headache or more then mild ( and I do mean mild) eyestrain?. I could use it as a monitor from that distance xD.

Seen several sites suggesting more then 11 feet for TVs that large (1080P might not look that sharp from there but good functioning EYES&BRAIN > Big TV
).

·
Registered
7,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 /forum/post/15603092

Thats' awfully close IMO, but there are some maniacs
in these parts who would consider that "perfect".

Any chance of stretching the v-distance out a few feet (by moving the display/or seating arrangement back a bit)?

I'd hate to see you "settle" for a 50" if accommodations could be made to negotiate a 60. Going with a 60 now could prove to pay dividends down the road.

Exp: I'd like to think your living situation will be changing in the future (i.e an increase in room size) so you won't have to sit 6' away from any television!

James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts